• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Did Clarkson go too far on Saturday?

Manic Moran

Car(s)
05 Audi S4 Cabrio, 01 Chevy Camaro, 07 M1A1 AIM
His article in the Sun was generally quite amusing, with as usual a few salient points, however, some Americans are taking serious umbrage at it.

Here's the article:

http://www2.nationalreview.com/images/paperforgreg.jpg

Taking into account the fact that Clarkson uses the little-known-to-Americans technique of satire, the standard of the average reader of the Sun, and the fact that I get the general impression that he likes America (Just not most of its cars), I still raise my eyebrows at "Most Americans barely have the brains to walk on their back legs" and the thought that the military should be making tea for people instead of trying to maintain order. (The helicopter gunship comment, of course, being typical Clarksonian exaggeration). The racism comment is slightly over the top as well, IMO.

I'm hoping that the article is best taken in the 'Sun' context, but even so, it seems that he has lost a couple of notches in the respect tally over on this side of the water.

NTM

To answer the topic's question: No, I don't think he went too far, in fact he should've gone farther. :|

Sounding like a clarkson fan-boy but i pretty much agree!

Why is it that 9/11 (Horrible i agree) gets sooooo much attention (tv, radio, movies ect) when what? 2000 people died? and in the same time over 50,000 starving people in African countries dies every DAY!.. Again im not saying that what is happening in New Orleans and what happend in New York isnt wrong and shoudent be televised.. People just need to get their priorities straight.

Lilleput said:

Why is it that 9/11 (Horrible i agree) gets sooooo much attention (tv, radio, movies ect) when what? 2000 people died? and in the same time over 50,000 starving people in African countries dies every DAY!.. Again im not saying that what is happening in New Orleans and what happend in New York isnt wrong and shoudent be televised.. People just need to get their priorities straight.
Because 9/11 was brought about by a select, determined group of people, hell-bent on an ideal, and willing to stop at nothing to accomplish their goals, while African famine is a combination of environmental and sociological issues that have been going on for over a century or two.

Clarkson may be right, but he chose a bad time to say it. I can't imagine he would be having a decent time in America if that article was published here. I mean, look at how much Simon Cowell gets flambasted for making fun of some worthless popstar princess wannabe!

That's just Clarkson being himself. I wouldn't worry too much about what he says if I were you. He insulted so many nations and individuals over the years ...

However, if you want something to worry about - general European opinion about the USA at the moment would be a good place to start. Clarkson shouts, others whisper.

Is there anything thats not true in there? A bit exagerated, yeah, its Clarkson...

And that's not against any of the American People in here, if only 20% are wayyyy dumb, its more than enough. In any country.
But I share Jezzas disbelieve in how the situation was handled...

I hope the whole thread doesn't start the flaming we usually have when he bashes and American car...

Buba

BlaRo said:
Lilleput said:

Because 9/11 was brought about by a select, determined group of people, hell-bent on an ideal, and willing to stop at nothing to accomplish their goals, while African famine is a combination of environmental and sociological issues that have been going on for over a century or two.

Clarkson may be right, but he chose a bad time to say it. I can't imagine he would be having a decent time in America if that article was published here. I mean, look at how much Simon Cowell gets flambasted for making fun of some worthless popstar princess wannabe!

So, the way people die determines if it is interesting or not? ;)

In my book 50,000 a day is worse than 2,000ish once.

Then again, there were more factors, such as that African famines have seemingly gone on since the dawn of time. And something that lasts that long just disappears from the public's eye, no matter how horrifying.

I agree, though, we should do something about the famine, and do it now, and end it right out. Live 8 was just the beginning.

The Live 8 broadcast was riddled with commercials...up the arse no less.

Hehe, that was great, but sadly all to true.

I really liked that article and he has some valid points in there, but the people should know that this is sarcasm. If they dont, well then he really proves his point. :bangin:

Re: Did Clarkson go too far on Saturday?

He says stuff like this about British people, so I don't see the problem. I always find it odd when Americans get offended when some who is not American says something like this, but seem to think it's OK if The Simpsons or South Park do the same. Why is that?

Don't forget Family Guy :D
Remember the AIDS song? :p

Damn, gues I better mod myself: :offtopic:

I have to agree with everything Jezza said there.
Americans really have no common sense and follow rules without thinking. We do have a larger proportion of unintelligent people in the US compared to other developed countries. It's amazing how rare a 'normal' person is over here.

All I see on the news are people pointing fingers and blaming other people. I don't think anybody will appologize for the mistakes they made and the lives losts because of their stupidity.

In the newspaper, when white people are helping themselves to food in abandoned supermarkets they use the word "finding." When black people are doing the same thing, the newspaper uses the word "looting." Yes, even America has rampant racism so it's no surprising to find it in other countries as well.

We need people like Jeremy Clarkson to point out how ridiculous the US looks right now.

Carlos Mencia does it too...(says the guys in #gear) :p

Carlos Mencia is just awesome. I actually saw him live and he's unbelievable.

Jon Steward also uses satire and sarcasm to mock everything in America.
The Daily Show rocks!