Did somebody at Nissan spill the beans on the 2008 GT-R?

Z Draci

I highlighted the interesting bit in bold. It defines some solid facts about the car that I haven't heard about yet.

0601_nissan_skyline_01_900.jpg

2008 Nissan Skyline GT-R

By Peter Nunn
Photography: Tim Andrew

Click here to zoom.

Japanese automakers are notoriously tightlipped about future products, but the veil of secrecy over the next-generation Nissan Skyline GT-R has been nothing short of amazing. Thus, at the 2005 Tokyo Motor Show, there was a huge air of expectancy and a real buzz on the Nissan stand prior to the introduction of the Nissan GT-R Proto. In Japan, the Skyline is gearhead manna, so the car had been written about, talked about, and fantasized about for months leading up to the show.

The Proto didn't disappoint. Although hardly a car at all-there is no running gear and no interior-it is the second big clue as to what the upcoming, 2008 model Skyline will look like, following the GT-R Concept that was seen at the same show four years ago. The Proto packs real power and presence while still managing to be quintessentially and unmistakably Japanese.

The muscular front end with its massive center air intake and set of broad front fenders is very techno, very cool, and redolent of the earlier concept. The sculptured, heavy-duty body sides that bulk up toward the rear are also evolutions of the GT-R Concept, but designer Hiroshi Hasegawa (who did the Infiniti G35 sedan and coupe) has produced a new sloping roofline and an unusual kinked C-pillar. The four round taillights are a traditional Skyline design cue. Shiro Nakamura, Nissan's design chief, says that the shape is 80 to 90 percent of what will make it into production. The Proto has its own signature style, but it's one that's governed by exhaustive aerodynamic studies. This, after all, is a performance icon.

The show car rides on 255/40R-20 Bridgestone tires up front, with 285/35R-20s at the rear. It looks bigger and broader than the R34 Skyline GT-R, the last of the straight-six-powered, twin-turbo four-wheel-drive GT-Rs made between 1989 and 2002. Although the R34 fueled the modern GT-R cult, it was derived, like all Skylines, from a sedan. The new GT-R will be the first to stand alone as a model in its own right.

It will also be the first time that Nissan has officially imported the Skyline into the United States, so the company needs the car to live up to the hype that has been built around it. The Skyline GT-R, as well as being a star of video games, was hugely successful in racing and was a one-time holder of the N?ring Nordschleife lap record for production cars, a feat which has become a sort of holy grail for performance-car manufacturers.

As to what will underpin the macho sheetmetal, no one at Nissan is telling-at least for the time being. One of the select few who knows is Carlos Tavares, Nissan's Portuguese product chief who came from Renault and is now overseeing the plans for the next wave of Nissan/Infiniti products. Security is so tight on this project that the new GT-R is being developed in a special cordoned-off area at Nissan's Technical Center in Atsugi. Even well-connected insiders say they're kept out of the loop. "Very few people know the cubic capacity of the engine," says Tavares, "but it's just because we want to let people express their ideas. If the chief engineer comes to us tomorrow and says, 'Well, I want to do this or this,' we would restrain his room for maneuvering if we announced things beforehand."

Sitting in his Ginza, Tokyo, office, Tavares explains why Nissan has ten such an inordinately long time to develop this car (some six years). "We want to make sure [the end result] is going to be very efficient. Our mindset is to create a success that will last and be consistent with the GT-R story. When you are looking at extreme performance, you can more easily make mistakes. So we want to go step by step. We don't want to promise things we will not be able to deliver." He also reveals that the target is to produce a car that will rival the speed and driver appeal of the Porsche 911 Turbo without any on-limit trickiness.

To that end, the rumor mill in Japan says that the production GT-R will have a front-mounted, twin-turbo, 3.8-liter V-6 engine that's a development of the 350Z's unit. Nissan's original plan to do a V-8 has been axed because the engine is too big and heavy to provide the dynamic balance the engineers want. The V-6 will reputedly produce 450 hp and 370 lb-ft of torque. The power will be sent to all four wheels via a seven-speed transmission. The all-wheel-drive system will feature a development of the GT-R's famed, torque-sensing, electronic ATTESA E-TS, matched to four-wheel steering.

We've heard that the 2008 GT-R will be an inch shorter, an inch lower, and three inches wider than today's G35 coupe, thus putting a much broader footprint on the road. One reason for this latest GT-R taking so long to reach fruition has been the decision to base the car off a totally new platform, likely the successor to the FM platform that underpins the Nissan 350Z and the Infiniti G35 and FX35/45. Nissan is apparently aiming for a 0-to-60-mph time of 3.8 seconds, with a top speed north of 180 mph.

Straightline performance isn't the defining feature of the upcoming Skyline, though, according to Tavares. GT-R mules-G35 coupes with bulging bodywork and odd proportions-have regularly been spotted lapping the N?ring. "One thing I can tell you," says Tavares, "is that one of the standards we use is time. Our targets will be expressed mainly as time targets on reference circuits." And, yes, the 'Ring is one of those reference tracks.

The R33 Skyline GT-R was credited with setting a production-car lap record, breaking the eight-minute barrier, back in 1995, so Nissan would now be looking at a time of around seven minutes. "Well, you don't expect us to be worse than the previous one, do you?" asks Tavares, deadpan. "We will be very competitive. If we are not, we will do it again." To illustrate how passionate his team is, Tavares relates that when he asked some questions about the car recently, the chief engineer pulled out his laptop to show him the 240 parameters that are being measured during N?ring testing.

Ironically, the new GT-R will mark the beginning of a new Japanese supercar race. Honda has let on that it is planning a V-10-engined replacement for the NSX, and Lexus is contemplating production of the edgy, V-10-powered LF-A coupe. Against these, the GT-R may end up suffering from cylinder envy.

One thing is for sure, though. The GT-R is going to look great, and Nissan is confident that it will be a rival to the Porsche 911 Turbo, for the same sort of money as a Porsche 911 Carrera. There's some debate inside the company whether it will be called a Nissan-which makes sense, bearing in mind the heritage-or an Infiniti, which also has merit, in light of this being the most expensive car Nissan will have sold in America. Whatever it's called, we reckon that, if it has the kind of searing performance and soul of the last generation, it will be worth its rumored $70,000 or so asking price.

interesting read.
but i highly doubt that it will come anywhere near the 7 minute on the ring...a carrera gt already needs 30 seconds more.

What an ugly car... :|

hanasand said:
Dont underestimate those techno-guys at Nissan...
i don't do that...but to crack 7 minutes you need a racecar...it would be impressive ernough if they did anything below 7:45...

zeroSignal said:
I love the rear. The front looks very odd though. I can't get around those huge amounts of blackness. Maybe if the whole car were black, they wouldn't stand out so much. And I prefer the horizontal-looking headlights on the R33/R34, these vertical ones look completely out of place.

My thoughts are exactly opposite. I love front. Those black bits look very interesting, gives car a character. But rear is meh.. too much sharp angles, looks fat, non-proportioned and unfinished. Same goes for the roofline.

ryosuke said:
i don't do that...but to crack 7 minutes you need a racecar...it would be impressive ernough if they did anything below 7:45...

Once again, don't underestimate the Nissan guys :p; the lap record they sit in the R33 beat some racecars too.

hanasand said:

Lol, you really think they can make the car go round the Ring in 7 min (no pun intended)? They want to be in the 7 min range (sub 8 min). And I think it's going to be high 7 min.

Just take a look at the times set by other cars. (you can do this here). You will see that you really need one hell of a fast car (not only acceleration) to crack the 7 min barrier.

Greetz Johan

Edit: top ten:

Nuerburgring "Nordschleife"
Car [min]
1. Porsche Carrera GT 7.40
2. TechArt GT street 7.43
3. Pagani Zonda S 7.44
4. Porsche GT2 (996) 7.46
5. Porsche GT3 RS 7.47
6. Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 7.49
7. BMW M GmbH M3 CSL 7.50
Lamborghini Murci?lago 7.50
8. Lamborghini Gallardo 7.52
Mercedes SLR McLaren 7.52

'ring times are hard to predict and even harder to analyze.
how does a car that weighs around or over 3500 lbs with 300hp break the 8 minute mark in the first place??

and this is the updated top ten:
6:55 -- 178.699 km/h -- Radical SR8, 360 PS/650 kg, Michael Vergers, sep,28 05,

7:12 -- 173.600 km/h -- Radical SR3 Turbo, 320 PS/500 kg (test drive 07/03) (mfr.)

7:12.25 173.500 km/h -- Schnitzer BMW M3 GTR, Dirk Mueller, 24hrs race practice (02)

7:14.89 172.181 km/h ? Donkervoort D8 270 RS, , 350 PS/600 kg, Michael D?chting, nov,6 05,

7:15.63 169.311 km/h -- Edo Porsche 996 GT2 RS, 542 PS/1284 kg, Patrick Simons (sport auto 09/05),

7:18.01 170.236 km/h -- Donkervoort D8 RS, 370 PS/670 kg, Michael Duechting, sport auto 12/2004,

7:19 -- 168.929 km/h -- Radical SR3 1500 Turbo, Phil Bennet (jun,15 03) (mfr.),

7:21 --- 168.163 km/h -- Blitz Supra, 650 PS (Autocar magazine 97)

7:28 --- 166.652 km/h -- Porsche Carrera GT, 612 PS/ 1475 kg, Walther Roehrl,(Autobild 07/04)

7:32 -- 164.071 km/h ? Pagani Zonda F, 650 PS/ 1230 kg, (*mfr.)

Nissan can't seriously be trying to lap near seven minutes, even their falken gt-r doesn't lap too close to seven minutes. Does the article even say nissan is actually aiming for seven minutes lap or is the writer just assuming it?

freerider said:
hanasand said:

Lol, you really think they can make the car go round the Ring in 7 min (no pun intended)? They want to be in the 7 min range (sub 8 min). And I think it's going to be high 7 min.

Just take a look at the times set by other cars. (you can do this here). You will see that you really need one hell of a fast car (not only acceleration) to crack the 7 min barrier.

Greetz Johan

Edit: top ten:

Nuerburgring "Nordschleife"
Car [min]
1. Porsche Carrera GT 7.40
2. TechArt GT street 7.43
3. Pagani Zonda S 7.44
4. Porsche GT2 (996) 7.46
5. Porsche GT3 RS 7.47
6. Porsche 911 GT3 Cup 7.49
7. BMW M GmbH M3 CSL 7.50
Lamborghini Murci?lago 7.50
8. Lamborghini Gallardo 7.52
Mercedes SLR McLaren 7.52
the Koenigsegg CCR has done a laptime on the ring at 7.34 Seconds
(in the sportsauto supertest)

Kebab gud said:
the Koenigsegg CCR has done a laptime on the ring at 7.34 Seconds
(in the sportsauto supertest)

I know that the list I posted isn't very up to date (you can see the updated version above), but it's just to make a point. To crack the 7 min, you need a really fast car. I'm just trying to say that they probably want to be in the late 7min (7.50 ish). Also keep in mind that there are a lot of non-official times on the net (eg: times driven with r-compound tyres istead of road tyres). The ones on track-challenge are official and very accurate (you can see the speed at certain points of the track and a lot more info about the car).

Greetz Johan

Damn that is an ugly car. I hope it is fast as hell to make up for it.

"Nissan is aiming the 0-to-60 time of 3.8 seconds..." :lol:
Seems a little bit of a fantasy... Unless they put that car on a serious diet and pull out a couple hundred horses more out of that engine... :D

I never was a fan of the GT-R (yeah i know, call me a Nazi), but this one does look pretty badass. I still think no matter what, people are still gonna say "Hey! nice 350z/G35"

MarcoM said:
"Nissan is aiming the 0-to-60 time of 3.8 seconds..." :lol:
Seems a little bit of a fantasy... Unless they put that car on a serious diet and pull out a couple hundred horses more out of that engine... :D
actually shouldnt be out of reach. 4.0 sounds more reasonable though.

MarcoM wrote:
"Nissan is aiming the 0-to-60 time of 3.8 seconds..."
Seems a little bit of a fantasy... Unless they put that car on a serious diet and pull out a couple hundred horses more out of that engine...

the current 911 turbo is capable of sub 4 sec. 0-60 times with roughly the same power, weight, number of cylinders (allthough in boxer configuration obviously) and AWD. Then you will say "the data Porsche gives says 4,2 sec." but it has been messured to a good deal under 4 sec. A danish car mag. had some runs doing 3,7 sec. I thought it sounded strange that a 911 was as quick as a Enzo so i contacted them and this was the aurthors respond (for those of you that understand danish):

Det var vildt, at accelerer til 100 km/t p? 3,7 sek., eller 99.8 km/t for
at v?re helt pr?cis. Porsches accelerationstider er lidt pessimistiske.
Ogs? har 911 turbo den fordel, at den har firehjulstr?k mod Ferrariens
baghjulstr?k. Men apropos hurtige accelerationsmaskiner, s? accelerede
McLarens F1 til 100 km/ t p? 3,2 sek.

vh
Karsten Lemche

So i wouldn't be surprised if the GT-R can do what they are aiming for.

M3lover said:
MarcoM wrote:
"Nissan is aiming the 0-to-60 time of 3.8 seconds..."
Seems a little bit of a fantasy... Unless they put that car on a serious diet and pull out a couple hundred horses more out of that engine...

the current 911 turbo is capable of sub 4 sec. 0-60 times with roughly the same power, weight, number of cylinders (allthough in boxer configuration obviously) and AWD. Then you will say "the data Porsche gives says 4,2 sec." but it has been messured to a good deal under 4 sec. A danish car mag. had some runs doing 3,7 sec. I thought it sounded strange that a 911 was as quick as a Enzo so i contacted them and this was the aurthors respond (for those of you that understand danish):

Det var vildt, at accelerer til 100 km/t p? 3,7 sek., eller 99.8 km/t for
at v?re helt pr?cis. Porsches accelerationstider er lidt pessimistiske.
Ogs? har 911 turbo den fordel, at den har firehjulstr?k mod Ferrariens
baghjulstr?k. Men apropos hurtige accelerationsmaskiner, s? accelerede
McLarens F1 til 100 km/ t p? 3,2 sek.

vh
Karsten Lemche

So i wouldn't be surprised if the GT-R can do what they are aiming for.

And for those that do NOT understand Danish?

And for those that do NOT understand Danish?

Dammit! Learn Danish then...

Oh well, i'll give it a go:

It was wild accelerating to 100 km/h in 3.7 sec., or 99.8 km/h to be excact. The acceleration times claimed by Porsche are a bit pecimistic (sp?).
And the 911 turbo has the advantage of four-wheel drive against the Ferraries rear-wheel drive. Talking about accelerationmachines, the Mclaren F1 accelerated to 100 km/h in 3.2 sec.

Greetings
Karsten Lemche

There, happy now? You made me work :cry: