Did Suzuki Liana for F1 drivers swap its motor after season 18?

cyrusyn

Hi,
After watching Daniel Riccardo's run during SIARPC, checked F1 lap board.

1 Daniel Ricciardo 1:42.2 22 3 Placed three identical lap times
2 Lewis Hamilton 1:42.9 19 4 Second attempt
3 Mark Webber 1:43.1 20 6 Second attempt
4 Sebastian Vettel 1:44.0 17 3
5 Rubens Barrichel 1:44.3 15 3
6 Ben Collins 1:44.4 8 2 The Stig II (removed from the board during interview with Vettel)
7 Nigel Mansell 1:44.6 7 5
8 Lewis Hamilton 1:44.7 10 8 Wet & oily
9 Jenson Button 1:44.7 8 8 Hot
10 Jenson Button 1:44.9 14 5 Second attempt. Wet

As you see, up to season 18 when Kimi Raikonen did 1:46 on a very wet tarmac, all the laps were placed under 1:44. Then in season 19 Lewis Hamilton did 1:42.9 which is 1 sec faster than Vettel in seasn 17 and since, following laps were all above 1:43.

On a 100hp car 1 second difference among F1 drivers is like 3-4 second or more in an open wheeler and this made me think that the Suzuki Liana must have gone through motor swap or rebuild. Does any one know what happened with the car?

Last edited:
Not sure, but it wouldnt be surprising if they had done anything to the car. Just the regular service would have restored some engine power (assuming it had lost any through hard use).

However, the main difference is that they partly rebuilt the track after season 17.
Especially the last two corners are significantly faster. The difference in track layout and surface is clearly visible to the naked eye in these two corners (just watch some hot laps).

Does any one know what happened with the car?
Nigel or Steve :roll:

Judging by the information on wiki (I can't be bothered to watch them again):
Ricciardo took the Stig's line, the others went wide. Makes sense to me that it would be worth half a second before Hamilton.
Hamilton on second attempt was 1.8 faster than the first one in wet. Makes sense.
Webber on second attempt was 4 seconds faster than the first one in extremely wet. Makes sense.

The rest are 1.44-ish.

Why is this important now? It's part of history now, just like Top Gear second incarnation of the show.

Or better tyres?
Thats quite a good call.
It should be safe to assume that you cannot get hold of new tyres from around the period of the Lianas release. I could however imagine that the Beebs insurance(s) do require for Top Gear to use factory fresh material on critical components - such as tyres, brakes, suspension.
Therefore the TGTC (Top Gear Technology Centre XD) would have to get recent production runs of tyres which of course are way superior to tyres from almost 15 years ago and would greatly help with reducing the probability and impact of driving errors.

That's what I think.

Why: two years ago I replaced tyres on my father-in-law's car (same as mine, 14" wheels) from then four-year-old Barum to Goodyear and not only the grip massively improved (if somebody used to the new tires tried to drive it as fast with the older ones, he'd have crashed in the first corner), I also got much better fuel consumption - from 8,5 l / 100 km (33 MPG) I got to 5.25 (54). I've got slightly wider (and older) 15" Bridgestones on mine and can't get below 6,5 l (43 MPG).

IMO, tyres are as important as is condition of the car's brakes or suspension.

Last edited:
OK, I'll give the engine a proper service overnight. But you have to leave me on my own and bring some chips.