Did they ever officially discuss the naming of Gambon corner?

dstarfire

Somewhere between the end of season 1 and episode 2 of season 2 they renamed Carpenters corner to Gambon corner. I can't find where they talk about or even announce the renaming of it.

S2E1 - Clarkson refers to it simply as "where Michael Gambon nearly rolled it".
S2E2 - it's "Gambon Bend"

Also, I've never really understood what's so special about Gambons run that deserves a commemoration on the track. There've been several incidents that were more dangerous and exciting, yet only this one was memorialized. What am I missing?

Somewhere between the end of season 1 and episode 2 of season 2 they renamed Carpenters corner to Gambon corner. I can't find where they talk about or even announce the renaming of it.

S2E1 - Clarkson refers to it simply as "where Michael Gambon nearly rolled it".
S2E2 - it's "Gambon Bend"

Also, I've never really understood what's so special about Gambons run that deserves a commemoration on the track. There've been several incidents that were more dangerous and exciting, yet only this one was memorialized. What am I missing?

Probably the fact that this was so early in the life of the show, and up until then it was the most dramatic event to happen during the celebrity lap.

Probably the fact that this was so early in the life of the show, and up until then it was the most dramatic event to happen during the celebrity lap.

This is exactly it. Clarkson and Gambon spoke of it during Sir Michael's second appearance in S8E5.