Diecast Models

One more CMC model found it's way into my collection, this time the Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR from the 1955 Mille Miglia, piloted by Juan-Manuel Fangio. :)

I may have just bought the red, white and blue versions of the Hot Wheels Model 3. Two unboxed and one to be unboxed because I don't care about that collectability. I didn't even know the blue was out until I looked.

Not going to say why I bought three yet but you may be able to figure out my plan from the photos of each model.

1607616607225.png
1607616625308.png
1607616647668.png

Probably massively over-paid for them but whatever...

Last edited:
Not going to say why I bought three yet but you may be able to figure out my plan from the photos of each model.

I'm guessing reusing the wheels from the white one, but I don't see why you got the red.

clear glass?

The Union Jack contains the same three colours, but then, so do many Slavic flags...

EDIT: I just noticed the order of images matches the colours on the French flag.

Last edited:
I'm guessing reusing the wheels from the white one, but I don't see why you got the red.
Correct, the wheels from the white will go to the blue so it represents my car. The wheels from the blue wouldn't look right on the white either so they will go on the red and wheels from the red car will go on the white. Then I'll have an accurate representation of my car and the one that @leviathan has. I'm not worried about the red car, sorry red.

I don't like how much the wheels stick out too so may sand/mill them down.

clear glass?

Swapping the glass isn't a bad idea too so that the blue is clear but I was hoping I could just cut the axles and buy replacements rather than taking the cars apart.

Making a flag hadn't even entered my mind, I would need Mini Coopers for that.

1607634300786.png

Double post! Typical Tesla build quality, I only got this today and it has fallen apart already.

IMG_0110_S1920.jpg

Of course it didn't fall apart by itself, I took this 'sacrificial' red car apart to see how it's made. A 3.5mm drill, used very carefully at low speed, makes easy work of the rivets.
IMG_0112_S1920.jpg

I'll be doing the same with the others, I have an M2 tap and some tiny M2 screws coming along with push-fit axle tube. Maybe taking this a little too seriously. I didn't realise that the white car comes with a white interior so that is going in the red car.

I'd going to carefully sand down the nubs on the back of the wheels to reduce the track and make it look more realistic, I will cut the axles to length myself too so they aren't too long like the originals.

I bought these two as unboxed examples so there's a certain irony in the packing material containing shredded HW Model S and a Jag F-type cards. Blue one should be here in its box later this week.
IMG_0111_S1920.jpg

Finally got around to finishing the cars, had a long think about whether or not I should glue the axles and just went for it in the end. I bought axle tube and ends from an Ebay seller to re-make them properly.

Track is much more accurate now. Blue one looks great, the other two are slightly spoiled because the chrome comes off the wheels incredibly easy.

Also the razor saw I bought to cut the axle tube is apparently made of cancer according to California, which is unfortunate. Fuck cancer. I have no idea why that sticker is on something supplied in the UK.