Difficulties on deciding which party to elect? Here's the "Wahl-o-Mat" for you

MacGuffin

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'17 Ford Mustang GT Fastback
Difficulties on deciding which party to elect? Here's the "Wahl-o-Mat" for you

German federal elections are only three weeks away, so for those who dunno what to elect yet, SPIEGEL Online has come up with the "Wahl-o-Mat" (Wahl = Elections) for the undecided.

And they even offer an English version for those who'd like to know what to choose, if they'd be allowed to vote in Germany :D

The Wahl-o-Mat

So what party would you end up electing? :)

For me it was the Pirate Party and that's excatly what I'm going to vote for :lol:

The Wahl-O-Mat spits out the exact party I'll be voting for anyway. Seems like I'm not far off wih my views then.

Funnily, one of the radicals was right with my "most favourite" as well, but since their party platform pretty much only consists of generally popular propaganda to catch as many votes as possible, that doesn't really mean much.

61/86 FDP
49/86 Pirate
43/86 CDU (Christian Democrats?)

Interesting to see how you 'rate' in another nations politics.

Yeah, I know little about German politics, but my #1 and #2 were FDP and Pirate, respectively.

#1 FDP
#2 CDU
#3 Pirate

Hooray. Exactly the 3 parties I am struggling on who to vote :)

I ended up as a leftist commie bastard.

Die Linke, in other words.

I'm also happy to register that I knew enough about the German school system to answer the question.

SPIEGEL Online has come up with the "Wahl-o-Mat"
The Wahl-O-Mat is not an invention of Spiegel. It's linked or integrated on pretty much all the major German news sites including Spiegel Online, though.

It's a nice tool if you know what you're doing. The danger is, it oversimplifies matters. Politics are rarely as simple and black-and-white as the Wahl-O-Mat suggests.

For me, out of the parties represented in the current parliament the result is what I'm going to vote for anyway.

@ D-Fence: CDU and Pirates on 2 and 3 for you? How far apart? They have practically diametrical opposite positions...

You are taking that much too serious, DanRoM ;)

Pirate and Free Democratic Party. Pretty much how I vote here, too.

#1 FDP
#2 CDU
#3 Pirate

Hooray. Exactly the 3 parties I am struggling on who to vote :)

Yay, same for me

20090906-rw753cq76edtgdbpghbnuisa6j.jpg

I did it again when I realized I had forgotten the Bayernpartei, they came out third in my second attempt.

EDIT: BTW, anybody who gets Die Linke better NEVER, EVER come to Bavaria, you bloody communists!

Last edited:
1. FDP
2. Piraten
3. CDU

Basically what I am going to vote.

Piratenpartei comes on top for me and that's exactly what i'm going to vote.

Code:
1. FPD         -------
2. CDU         ------
3. Piraten     ----

Isn't it funny that the FDP leads in the wahl-o-mat for most of the people here?
More people should vote for them in RL, I know I will.

Last edited:
3893266380_b5bd581ea8_o.jpg

I suppose what shocked me most, is how far I'm off the program of the SPD, the party I have been electing for decades. In fact, it seems the extreme right and left wing parties are equally close to me as them :blink::blink::blink:

Last edited:
Code:
1. FPD         -------
2. CDU         ------
3. Piraten     ----

Isn't it funny that the FDP leads in the wahl-o-mat for most of the people here?
More people should vote for them in RL, I know I will.

I definitely would, if I were allowed to vote. Although the thing about the FDP is that I find their candidates quite "unsympatisch", at least on a local level.

I'd like to vote for the pirates also, but I figure that vote would basically be wasted - FDP would make much more sense, cause then you'd have a Schwarz-Gelb-Koalition, where the FDP has a bigger influence.

But odd that everybody gets fdp-csu-pirates, in that order, when you consider how different especially the bottom two are.

EDIT:
3893266380_b5bd581ea8_o.jpg

I suppose what shocked me most, is how far I'm off the program of the SPD, the party I have been electing for decades. In fact, it seems the extreme right and left wing parties are equally close to me as them :blink::blink::blink:

What the hell did you do to be closer to the NPD than to the Reps? They are even more far right. o_O

Also, All your parties are pretty close together, am I the only one with such a huge difference between the parties?

Last edited:
Maybe I clicked "neutral" too often with topics, where I do not have a pro or con opinion or simply know too little about the subject to have a clear opinion.

I'd like to vote for the pirates also, but I figure that vote would basically be wasted - FDP would make much more sense, cause then you'd have a Schwarz-Gelb-Koalition, where the FDP has a bigger influence.

That's the wrong approach. You shouldn't vote for who's most likely to win but for who you sympathize the most ;)

Last edited:
Maybe I clicked "neutral" too often with topics, where I do not have a pro or con opinion or simply know too little about the subject to have a clear opinion.

Probably. The difference between your first and last place party is about the same as between my first and second :lol:

Edit: and boy does it make me happy to see such an absolutely tiny bar next to the Leftists - bloody communists fuck off to east Germany - Can we please build the wall back up?

That's the wrong approach. You shouldn't vote for who's most likely to win but for who you sympathize the most ;)

Well, as my graph show, I do sympathize the FDP the most, by quite a wide margin in fact - in terms of political views. It's just the candidates personality I don't like.

Also, apparently I have less in common altogether with the pirates than with the CSU or the FDP, but it's that one important key issue of civil rights / free content that would still make me vote them over the CSU.

Last edited: