Diffrence iPhone vs. iPod Touch

Ice_warmer

So i have somekind of faint "DO WANT" sentiment haunting me, i want to get an iphone/ipod, for some weeks now. I saw that the ipod touch is considerable cheaper but seems to have the same specifications as the iphone minus the actually beeing a phone, wich doesn't bother me much because it has wifi (i don't use phone browsing).

So to cut short, can i with an ipod touch have everyother feature that the iphone has (minus the sim card)?

Yes, and you can also make calls with it using VoIP.

Major OS upgrades require a fee on the iPod Touch, don't they? It's something to be aware of.

i usually don't update firmware (if it ain't broken ...)

and smib, for voIP do you need the 32 gb one with Earphones with Remote and Mic?.

edit: one more thing, downloading music restricted to itunes ?

anyother restrictions ?

Last edited:
As an ex-iPod touch owner I can tell you I didn't regret having it instead of an iPhone.
It does everything the iPhone does minus actually being a phone, a mic, a camera (that isn't that good anyway tbh) and 3g.
It's also lighter and more slim than an iPhone.
So if you don't mind carrying around a phone and an iPod it's perfect.

And you can download music from any client like limewire and just put it on itunes and then your iPod, if that's what you mean.

i usually don't update firmware (if it ain't broken ...)

and smib, for voIP do you need the 32 gb one with Earphones with Remote and Mic?.

edit: one more thing, downloading music restricted to itunes ?

anyother restrictions ?

You can just import mp3's into iTunes. To play video they have to be $pple format, iTunes simply wont accept .avi.

It's highly recommended to get the firmware updates with the iPod/Phone. It takes you 2 clicks to do and if it goes wrong you just restore.

Just be careful when you go buy an iPod Touch, the 8GB is running on the old iPhone 3G hardware whereas the 32/64GB are running the 3GS hardware, bringing stuff like faster processor, more RAM, voice recognition, etc.

Other difference between the iPod Touch (all models) and the iPhone is the lack of GPS in the Touch.

Firmware updates are a painless process, just click Update in iTunes. As it's been said, major updates are not free for the Touch, but small updates (like today's 3.1.3) are free.

And for VoIP you will need the remote and mic, as the Touch doesn't have a built-in mic :)

damn, it doesn't have gps, that's a big nono, and killpanda shaded some light with the 8gb, 32/64gb diffrence.

so i'm stepping away ... for now, i am used to adding music on my phone with a card reader (never used that media pc suite thing the phone came with) so having to start itunes every time ... no

anyway, thanks guys for clearing things up