Dirt Rally

I'm loving this so far :D

It took me a bit of time to get used to the Fulvia, it seems to work fairly well for me if I move the brake bias pretty far rearwards, as that helps me turn the thing into corners. That said, if you need to stop really quickly the rear bias makes things frantic very quickly :lol:

I like the difficulty, too... At first even the easiest championship felt impossibly difficult, but on my third go I was pretty close to matching the top times despite spinning at least once on every stage.

The codriver needs some more work I think... The detail in the notes is probably the best I've ever heard in a rally game, but they seem a bit inconsistent at times. Especially fours and fives tend to give nasty surprises occasionally, and even sixes are sometimes flat and sometimes not. Also, they occasionally come too late, I've had several occasions where the codriver calls a two or three when I'm already entering the corner.

Also the Force Feedback could do with improving, it gives some nice feedback but just not enough of it. For what it's worth, I'm using 270 degrees of rotation, 0% deadzone and steering weight of 70% with my Fanatec Porsche GT2. I think I'll go back to 360 degrees later, though, as 270 feels a tad too sensitive around the center.

Man this game is excellent! Who knew Codemasters could do something like this still?

I really like this game, but I have a bit of a problem. I use a G27 wheel and modified pedals. They have a load cell, progressive springs, and a rubber spring insert. As such, I don't exactly have full range of motion, but the pedals feel very realistic and race-car like. It actually requires me to grip the underside of the table to get the extra leveage needed to push the brake pedal down all the way. Its great with iRacing, but with games that don't let you calibrate the pedals to compensate for the stiffer springs are unplayable. Going into any corner, I can only do maybe 50-65% braking. Every hairpin in this game requires me to brake many seconds ahead of time, and I usually still don't make the turn. I'm not sure how to fix that problem. Kinda makes all of the stages really short, effectively. :)

I finally got around to playing this. Even with a controller, it's really fun! I might have to literally dust off my Logitech MOMO wheel that I haven't used in like 10 years and try it with that.

Also, they occasionally come too late, I've had several occasions where the codriver calls a two or three when I'm already entering the corner.

In the settings you can make the co-driver call out the turns earlier or later.

"Pro" tip: Do not smash your headlights in a night stage. 120 km/h through a Welsh forest without headlights is terrifying :lol:

Also if you do this you get an achievement (not my gif)
ZyewuQp.gif

Stats say I've done 4 barrel rolls myself

Last edited:
There is a Force Feedback mod available at Race Department. That and switching to 540 degrees made driving way nicer, the steering feels more precise and the feedback more accurate now. It's still not brilliant, but better. Now I just need to find time to do more driving...

In the settings you can make the co-driver call out the turns earlier or later.

It did help, but the problem is the inconsistency. The normal calls are fine 99% of the time, it's just the one note in a hundred that's too late. But that's often fairly crucial.

I agree on the co-driver, it needs a few slight tweaks at places, and it'd be nice if the HUD arrows stood out a bit more from the background. Not so much that they become distracting, just a little more.

Send your feedback to Codemasters! That's one of the reasons that they're releasing it now so that they can get feedback to make a better final product. We're steering the ship so that they make the game we want. :)

Game is too fun to remember doing that :p
Will put it on my todo-list!

I really like this game, but I have a bit of a problem. I use a G27 wheel and modified pedals. They have a load cell, progressive springs, and a rubber spring insert. As such, I don't exactly have full range of motion, but the pedals feel very realistic and race-car like. It actually requires me to grip the underside of the table to get the extra leveage needed to push the brake pedal down all the way. Its great with iRacing, but with games that don't let you calibrate the pedals to compensate for the stiffer springs are unplayable. Going into any corner, I can only do maybe 50-65% braking. Every hairpin in this game requires me to brake many seconds ahead of time, and I usually still don't make the turn. I'm not sure how to fix that problem. Kinda makes all of the stages really short, effectively. :)

I can calibrate my G25 in Logitech Gaming Software outside of games, but I don't specifically remember if there are settings for the pedals.

I bought this last night after seeing the videos in this thread - just been playing with a 360 controller since I can't be bothered setting up my G27, but it's really good fun. I like how hard it is. Only got the first two categories of car so far. Seems it only has 3 locations - definitely needs some more before release, and some live PvP ghost racing would be nice, if a little un-rally-ish.

It's a little unsatisfying how the upgrades seem to sort of happen themselves? I like being able to choose.

It's a little unsatisfying how the upgrades seem to sort of happen themselves? I like being able to choose.

I like the way you work your way towards progress as you get through rallies. It adds to the whole team career aspect.

That said, having the option to choose what to focus the research on would be nice.

I've found tweaking the settings in some cases quite annoying due to vague or non-existent tool-tips, but that's really the biggest gripe I have with the game.

really though I have to express just how good the engines sound, the Stratos, Quattro and M3 so far have impressed me the most, but everything in the game sounds ridiculously good.

Can we get some Finnish stages soon? Edit: In September, it turns out.

Last edited:
How to drive (graphics on low)

This guy is clearly using hacks :lol:
GOXOhCY.jpg

Last edited:
Picked this game up a few days ago for my G25. The steering support could be improved quite a bit. In Gran Turismo rally stages, the wheel shakes violently and follows the terrain. In Dirt, there's a dead area for the first few degrees of rotation with practically no feedback, and you can't feel the terrain at all. It took a while to find a rotation setting that worked well too (540), which is a real pain for a game that supposedly supports the wheel out of the box. It seems like it should adjust to the vehicle you're driving.

Overall it's fantastic, I've only purchased the Fulvia so far, but it's a huge challenge with no assists. My only real goal is not to crash!

It is insanely hard, as I've just learned as I catapulting my 205 out into the woods and over cliffs. Would be good if we could save replays, I had some fantastic rolls. You don't get any co-driver (obviously) nor do you get any indication where the road is going.

205 for reference

11:42.006 on first run up mixed-surface Pikes Peak. And with quite a few crashes. Climb Dance it certainly ain't, I'll never be as talented as Ari Vatanen. :lol:

OK, I think I'll need to invest in a wheel since Pikes Peak in the S1 with automatic gearbox (I don't manage to shift on the keyboard, tried numerous times...) doesn't get you anywhere. On the steeper passages the gearbox shifts up, but when the next gear is engaged the revs dropped too low so it downshifts again...