Dirt Rally

It's interesting (and nice) that they chose a older version of Pikes Peak that still has dirt in places. The all paved version is kind of lame.

For the record, I've driven up the mountain at the speed limit, and it is terrifying in places at 20mph.

edit: I see now you can have full asphalt if you want to.

OK, I think I'll need to invest in a wheel since Pikes Peak in the S1 with automatic gearbox (I don't manage to shift on the keyboard, tried numerous times...) doesn't get you anywhere. On the steeper passages the gearbox shifts up, but when the next gear is engaged the revs dropped too low so it downshifts again...

I just tried the 205, the turbo is so big the car has no power for the first half of the rev band, launching and low speed hairpins are awkward even in first gear.

I tried the 405 on pikey's peak and... it just swaps ends and kills me whenever I brake, no matter how gentle.

I definitely have no Finlandic genes.

I fianlly managed a full run on Pikes Peak gravel&tarmac without crashing. Still lots of room for improvement, especially on hairpins and on the last part of the course where I was very cautious, and I still need to learn how to use the handbrake(never used it). All aids were off:

Same run but recorded on replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W9URQYMv_w&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:
I'm buying a 50 foot HDMI cable and USB extension so I can play this on the TV without moving my PC around, my 22" computer monitor is just not doing it justice with a wheel.

[video=youtube;ymX-88AvZYk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymX-88AvZYk[/video]

So I tried out the new stages and some of the cars. They really feel different and new from the old venues. New elements such as chicanes feel fresh, and the tarmac surface is much more grippy than Monaco, in fact so much that you feel it instantly when changing to less grippy concrete. Love one corner with a callout "Left 5, don't cut, be brave", love it! :D

The backdrop is beautiful, with German flags flying, crowds cheering and green trees, and a crashed jet laying around in an abandoned airfield. I didn't try out all the cars, but Lancia is fucking terrifying, and the FWD kit-cars are very much fun to drive.

An amazing update and I will keep on playing the shit out of this brilliant game.

Last edited:
I'm buying a 50 foot HDMI cable and USB extension so I can play this on the TV without moving my PC around, my 22" computer monitor is just not doing it justice with a wheel.

Do you have a laptop? If so: http://store.steampowered.com/streaming/

Or pre-order this: http://store.steampowered.com/universe/link

I stream from my monster desktop to my HTPC with integrated graphics that's hooked up to my TV. Wireless controller. Works awesome.

EDIT: No idea if it works with a wheel or not. I assume it does.

I've tried steam streaming, it almost kind of works. Wifi isn't really good enough. Either way for $20 I won't have to deal with it.

Is there a noticeable input lag when streaming from Steam?

There's obvious some latency involved but we're talking only 1-3ms, at least on wired. I don't notice it myself.

So today the Flying Finland came out... and I love it. First I tried the Colin McRae's Ford Focus, and found it quite good. But then I took a spin in Richard Burns' Subaru Impreza, and just after revving the engine at the start light I thought "oh damn, this is awesome". It sounds amazing, it handles amazing, it is an awesome car.

The Finland stages are fast-flowing and when you finish them, you feel like driving god. Overall great content, now waiting for Winter Wonderland (though kinda sad that this amazing Early Access journey is coming to an end)

Agreed the Flying Finland update is sweet!

Driving Burns' Impreza in Finland would be a dream, even if it's just a game - bought it and downloading right now. Can't wait!

I think I'll need a new graphics card, my Radeon 5850 is maxing out on GPU and RAM on medium to high details...

Hightailing through Finland in a Group B monster is scary... :shock:

Porkhammer is pretty good at this game (fastest time at this daily stage at time of writing). In the dark through Finland.

We can have mods? :shock: