Ownership Verified: Dirty Diesel, Bought Dirt Cheap - 2008 M57 X5

Exactly. It will have to be fixed before its next annual inspection in April, regardless.

My XR6 is due for its inspection and registration in March, so it just makes sense to do it now, and not have to be concerned, or rushed.

Dad has always had a philosophy of “let it develop”, and only replace or repair something when it’s completely stuffed. This usually causes inconvenience and unnecessary expense. (He said if he was wrong he’d pay for repairs), but that’s not the point, at all.

Checked in with the local workshop, who do not have the tool to replace the boot, and would just replace the half-shaft instead.
So I’ve bought a new tool.
IMG_0357.jpeg

Already have a new stretch boot and the locking ring replacement.
Looks like rain all weekend, so replacement will have to wait until next week.

My goodness. :oops:

That's not even a combined pleasure/torture device, it can only be a torture device. It's obviously air powered, what pressure do you... use it at?

My goodness. :oops:

That's not even a combined pleasure/torture device, it can only be a torture device. It's obviously air powered, what pressure do you... use it at?
I mean, no kink shaming, there's likely someone, somewhere that's tried it...and possibly liked it.

The brass knob button I believe regulates the air pressure, so I'll have to try a few settings before giving it a good grease and stretching anything out with it...

Also arrived is the rear vent trim, and some CANbus compatible LEDs for the interior, as I finally gave up on the blinking error laden ones.

However, the XR6 isn't as fussy, so it now has 400% more illumination, as I changed out some of the incandescent bulbs for the no longer required LEDs.
It's made SUCH a difference. Can't believe it's taken me this long. It feels like an entirely different car on the inside now.

Last edited:
Changed the rear AC vent trim today.
No thanks to one of the GDPOs who had jammed in the now broken one, and made everything wonky in the process.
Took longer than it should have, and I had to pull the vents out entirely to fix it, but it's all working as intended now.
I didn't have my phone near me while working on it, then when I finished Dad was ready to go, so I'll photograph my completed handywork later.
IMG_0439.jpeg

Dad offered to drive home (he's got his licence re-approved for car only), so that I could sit in the back and enjoy the AC from it. I declined his generous offer.

Last edited:
CV boot replaced.
Split the boot that came with the torture device, and the other boot I had bought didn't work with it (kept sliding off).

After much swearing and consternation, two of my workmates figured it out while I was out sourcing a new stretch boot.
Came back with the boot, expecting to find everything as I'd left it, and was greeted by the car back on all four wheels, and the boys at the lunch table. :cautious:

So, there are no photos, and I have no idea how they managed it, other than it's not cut, or I'd have flipped my shit. As it is, I'm somewhat annoyed I didn't get a "Hey, don't worry about the new boot" call, and so drove out of my way to get it, and back for nothing.