Disappearing Torrents!

DON10E

Hi, all!

Everything was just wonderful, and then suddenly while playing a file that was already downloaded through UTorrent, the program froze. I rebooted and now I have no active torrents. In fact, no torrents at all. I'm wondering if there's a sub-directory somewhere that I can find everything that was active and just reload it. To keep confusion down, after I load a torrent I delete the actual torrent, so I would have to figure out what's missing and where to get it again for a whole bunch of torrents.

Any thoughts to keep me from torrent Purgatory? Sure would appreciate it!

Everything is missing from uTorrent? Or are the actual downloaded files missing?

I forget exactly what uTorrent does with the files, but, assuming you're using Windows, try looking into your AppData folder. Look for the uTorrent folder. There may be the video files there, and/or the .torrents.

Windows Vista:
Start | Run | type %appdata%

Windows 7:
type %appdata% in the search box

Also, look in your uTorrent {preferences | directory} in case you customized where it puts the files.

OMG! An entire sub directory is missing! How could that happen? The completed and in-progress files and the torrents vanished! And it's an external drive. The UTorrent program is blank, as if I just installed it. I assume I'm just out of luck, but holy crap! That was a lot of data lost. Any ideas? :shock2:

I forget exactly what uTorrent does with the files, but, assuming you're using Windows, try looking into your AppData folder. Look for the uTorrent folder. There may be the video files there, and/or the .torrents.

Windows Vista:
Start | Run | type %appdata%

Windows 7:
type %appdata% in the search box

Also, look in your uTorrent {preferences | directory} in case you customized where it puts the files.

Is it possible you may have updated to a new version? When you uninstall uTorrent, it'll ask if you want to remove user settings...(something like that). If you say yes, I believe it wipes out the uTorrent folder.

As a last resort, do a search for .torrent in your drives (local, external, etc). Other than that, you may be out of luck. Good reminder to invest in a backup system. :)

I do the updates when they become available. I don't usually say yes to start over, but maybe I did. I thought having an external drive would help avoid losing data, but I guess not. I did search my computer for the files and no luck. Oh, well. I didn't lose anything really valuable like tax data or something. Thanks for the help, all.

Is it possible you may have updated to a new version? When you uninstall uTorrent, it'll ask if you want to remove user settings...(something like that). If you say yes, I believe it wipes out the uTorrent folder.

As a last resort, do a search for .torrent in your drives (local, external, etc). Other than that, you may be out of luck. Good reminder to invest in a backup system. :)