Discovery Channel Canada stirs the sh1t...(Canucks: Record this!)

klutch

Courteous urinator
Car(s)
Do it for me.
Can't believe with the amount of Canadians on this board no-one's mentioned this show already. Although its exclusive to Discovery Channel Canada, I figured it would be all over the automotive forums.

Tonight, while browsing the channels, I come across a new blue Z06 smoking its rear rubber off, so I put the remote down. Turns out the show is "Mean Machines: Transatlantic Challenge" and there's been a couple episodes so far. Basic premise: 2007 Z06 versus 2003(?) Ferrari 360 battling it out at Willow Springs. Best 3 out of 5 wins. I'll not mention which car wins, but given the location, production team, and the pairing, it should be obvious.

The show is only on Discovery Canada, so I'd encourage someone to record the show on its next airdate; I don't think there's any torrents for it.

"Mean Machines Transatlantic Challenge: Sports Cars
Find out which machine is meaner, the Ferrari or the Corvette; two of the latest models are tested at the famous Willow Springs Race Track in California?s Mojave Desert; testing acceleration, brakes, lateral drift and handling."

Its on almost every day next week, so you Canadians have no excuse for missing it.
http://www.exn.ca/onTv/episode.asp?episode=67309992&TZ=0

From Corvette Forum:

Discovery Channel Canada, Mean Machines show airs tonight

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who knew that I flew to California last December to drive a '07 Z06 Corvette for GM, during taping of the show called Mean Machines, I found out that it will be airing for the first time tonight on Discovery Channel Canada @ 9:30. The show is a comparo test @ Willow Springs in California between a Corvette Z06 and a Ferrari. It was a great time for myself even though the production company was manipulating results to help the Ferrari ......they werent even on the same calender. Anywho it airs tonight for those in Canada to see.

I am not sure yet of Discovery Channel USA's air date, or if it even will. I will have a copy of it tomorrow morning and if they dont air it in the states maybe I can find someone to host it so everyone can see it. I am anxious to see if there were any other manipulations to the content at the studio.............. If you did not get the score, and just watched the video of the cars, you would know which car was kickin' hiny without the numbers.....

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?p=1560576927

Not too surprising. All you have to do is go look at LeMans or the ALMS/ELMS series - race prepped Ferraris go up against the C6 Vette and get devoured. Amusing that the Canadians were trying to help out the Ferrari.

Boy, now the world will never hear the end of this.

Why a 360? Why not a 430?

They probably couldn't find anyone willing to lend them one - and Ferrari knows what would happen in that case, so *they* won't lend them one.

I'll definetly have to check this out... as much as I don't like the new Vette, I'll love to see it destroy a Ferrari 360.

Actually, it airs in Norway too.

Remember when they had one Euro truck racer and one American truck racer, they let the American win, because it used a couple of feet less to stop from 60mph or something. Forgot to take into consideration that the American truck ended up sideways every single time they tried it, and the Euro truck stopped straight and narrow. :rolleyes:

All the ones I've seen have been won by EU (forklifts, firetrucks and 4x4's). I thought maybe they shot two versions to fit the market it's aired in...

Of course the Ferrari 360 will win. After all the Corvette has pushrods and has loleafsprings. Not to mention it's American which means it can't turn.

I thought Discovery Channel was suppose to be an unbiased source of scientific fact. Guess I should've gotten the hint with the Global Warming stuff...

Of course the Ferrari 360 will win. After all the Corvette has pushrods and has loleafsprings. Not to mention it's American which means it can't turn.

I thought Discovery Channel was suppose to be an unbiased source of scientific fact. Guess I should've gotten the hint with the Global Warming stuff...

Uhm...I suppose they are, the Corvette C6 won almost every comparison in the magazines in europe. The widely known German bi-monthly !auto, motor und sport" tested it against a Porsche Carrera S in Spa and the N?rburgring and both times the Corvette was faster around the track.

...and we all know that a Porsche is really fast around these tracks (faster then a stock Ferrari).

btw: the Corvette can turn properly ;)

Actually, it airs in Norway too.

Remember when they had one Euro truck racer and one American truck racer, they let the American win, because it used a couple of feet less to stop from 60mph or something. Forgot to take into consideration that the American truck ended up sideways every single time they tried it, and the Euro truck stopped straight and narrow. :rolleyes:

Do you have the models of the trucks?

Uhm...I suppose they are, the Corvette C6 won almost every comparison in the magazines in europe. The widely known German bi-monthly !auto, motor und sport" tested it against a Porsche Carrera S in Spa and the N?rburgring and both times the Corvette was faster around the track.

...and we all know that a Porsche is really fast around these tracks (faster then a stock Ferrari).

btw: the Corvette can turn properly ;)

Sorry, must have forgotten the sarcasm tags. Believe me, I'm on the side of the people defending the Corvette, as I know that while the technology isn't new, it doesn't suck.

Do you have the models of the trucks?
Watched it with a killer hangover half a year ago. So I'm sorry, no, I don't remember the models. :p

Watched it with a killer hangover half a year ago. So I'm sorry, no, I don't remember the models. :p

And this people is why NASCAR is popular. It's an easy sport to follow when you're drunk... or hung over.

"He's making another left turn!" (check the cool video's section for "jeff dunham")

thedguy: :lol:

I watch that show whenever I can, I have not seen that one, but it's a great show.

I was pissed that they didn't use the 430. The 360 started production in 1999 and the Z06 in 2006. I don't get how they can compare a 7 year old car to a brand new one, even if it is a Ferrari?

I was pissed that they didn't use the 430. The 360 started production in 1999 and the Z06 in 2006. I don't get how they can compare a 7 year old car to a brand new one, even if it is a Ferrari?

Ferrari is notorious for not giving up cars for competitions they don't think they can win. This is why nearly every comparison test between their hyper cars and the competition has always required using a privately owned car.

I watched an episode of this show a while ago where they compared a disco against that new large Jeep (can't remember the name)...Somehow the score was a tie at the end....The disco won the off road capabilities test, the Jeep won the ground clearance test and they did a tug of war test where they both just spun their wheels and didn't move an inch....
I'm not sure if they did any other tests because i was at work when i was watching it and it got a bit busy :p