• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Discuss about books

Jostyrostelli

Forum Addict
I was wondering if anybody's reading any books here...
I am thinking of buying the DaVinci Code, everybody's telling me that it's a great book with a good story.

Has anybody read it?

its the old school one when he starts off as a no one and the steps in his life that made him rich

DaVinci Code is a great book, i loved it and i'm only 15...thus its a great book

Read the da vinci code last week (was bloody cheap at play.com) and its a great book, a real page turner you are pretty much hooked after the first 2 pages... really. The first book that did that to me for years (well, I dont really read that much but still)

Made me look at da vinci's paintings in a whole new way. Fully recommend it to everyone, makes you look at history and religion a bit differently as well...

I've read the Da Vinci Code, I loved it, except for the ending, which was a bit pointless.
It all builds up and up through the book and it's intensely exciting, but when you
get it all revealed it's just not that big a deal anymore.

Right now I'm reading the prequel to that book, which is called "Angels and Demons" also
by Dan Brown. To this point it seems equally good, some even claim it's better..

I recently finished couple of books by Chuck Palahniuk (author of Fight Club). Now, that's one fucked up imagination. If I think about it afterwards, stories were quite boring, but it's the way he writes that keeps up interest.

i havent read da vinci code yet i heard it super good thought

btw i am using someone elses internet right not lol! i love people who dont encript their wireless lan lol! gonna hog their bandwith to seed when the new tg or fg comes out this week lol!!!!

i read the Da Vinci Code....sooooooooooo freaking stupid....hated the story, and the ending and everything in between...the only thing i did like about the book was the character development, other than that, a worthless book...glad it was a quick read...i fell for the hype...so stupid.

for those that say "oh it's filled with facts"... after studing art history for a while and all that, i can honsetly say that the book is very very very very loosely based on some/partial historical facts...remember the book was found in the "fiction" section so don't expect to come out knowing everything like i hear a bunch of people talk, liek the book enlightened them on history...so far off...it's about as truthful as watching the movie "Texas Chinesaw Masacre" and thinking you know the events that really happened...and the true story of Ed Gein and how he killed people...

currently I'm reading "1421 the year China discovered america" is a historical book that chronicals the Chinese naval fleet and it's voyages back in the 1420's...really interesting stuff about China and the rest of the world.

Oke, little confused now about the DaVinci Code..

I once read a book about the Shogun in Japan, I found that quite interesting, looking for a book with a good story but not a fictional book...

Right now I'm reading:
- Digital Play: The Interaction of Technology, Culture, and Marketing - Stephen Kline
- Prometheus Wired: The Hope for Democracy in the Age of Network Technology - Darin Barney
- One Place after Another: Site-Specific Art and Locational Identity - Miwon Kwan
- The Watchmen - Alan Moore

I can't even remember the last time I read an actual novel. Everything I'm reading right now is academic except for The Watchmen, which is a graphic novel.

OK, when I said it made you look at history a bit differently. In no way did I mean that the book would be factual, it merely makes you think a bit more about what you believe as fact and what not.

And althought the DaVinci code is indeed a fully fictional book the theories it employ are relatively widely know. And lets face it, a lot of the factual books you can buy are indeed based on a lot of fiction as well, simply on majority agreed fiction...

Take the book as what it is, entertainment, and it is good experience, definetily worth the read.

zenon said:
I can't even remember the last time I read an actual novel. Everything I'm reading right now is academic except for The Watchmen, which is a graphic novel.

seriously...novels are a waste, only reason i read DaVinci Code is because everyone was raving about it...normally i read historical books, sciences, or theories...figure if i'm going to sit down and read something for a week, i should at least learn something...

Raider007 said:
zenon said:

seriously...novels are a waste, only reason i read DaVinci Code is because everyone was raving about it...normally i read historical books, sciences, or theories...figure if i'm going to sit down and read something for a week, i should at least learn something...
I hardly ever admit it, but I think the exact same thing. I simply do not enjoy reading novels - it may be that I just haven't found the right genre, but if I want to be entertained, I'd rather play a videogame.

I do a lot of academic reading for school and out of personal interest, but the last piece of non-fiction that I truly enjoyed was Don DeLilo's Mao II. Popular styles of writing and traditional novels just don't hold my interest - they need to be written in an aesthetic or abstract way or be more meaningful than just an entertaining story.

I'm not a big fan of novels either, but now reading these replies about DaVinci it's seems more a novel than a good written book about real things from the past....I heard it was a book with lots of facts and things that are really interesting to know, but I guess I have to read some more reviews on the net before buying this...

zenon said:
I hardly ever admit it, but I think the exact same thing. I simply do not enjoy reading novels - it may be that I just haven't found the right genre, but if I want to be entertained, I'd rather play a videogame.

I do a lot of academic reading for school and out of personal interest, but the last piece of non-fiction that I truly enjoyed was Don DeLilo's Mao II. Popular styles of writing and traditional novels just don't hold my interest - they need to be written in an aesthetic or abstract way or be more meaningful than just an entertaining story.

totally understand...if i want to be entertained with a story, i watch a movie or something...but if i'm gonna put time into reading...i better learn something...

last 3 books i've read:
history on china navel fleet,
theory on evolution vs creationism,
and a book about dead bodies and how they are used. (crash tests, medical reasons, body farms, how they decompose...)

Raider, who's that girl in your avatar!!!

I know I asked somewhere but I don't remember where :lol:

Renesis said:
Raider, who's that girl in your avatar!!!
I know I asked somewhere but I don't remember where :lol:

Adriana Lima (brazilian model)