"Display driver ..responding and has recovered successfully"???? -Help

L2D

Car(s)
1999 Toyota Camry V6
Hey, so I am just using my computer as normal and the screen just blacks out, then I come back to this error. It's happened a few times randomly, which is slowly getting frustrating. I have not manually updated any video card drivers or anything. Anyone know a fix?

2dqlgsj.png

Video card is a GT240

Same happened to our secretary's computer at work this morning. No idea what to make of this.

Your display driver is crashing for some reason (software or hardware). Try updating the driver first and see if that fixes the issue.

Any pattern to what you are doing when it blacks out? I had a laptop that would frequently crash when playing Flash video, never could fix it.

Any pattern to what you are doing when it blacks out? I had a laptop that would frequently crash when playing Flash video, never could fix it.

Use a can of compressed air to blow out any dust. It maybe a cause.

Use a can of compressed air to blow out any dust. It maybe a cause.

Good idea for OP, but for said laptop, that wasn't it. I did eventually clean out the dust when the thing started powering itself off (was in my brother's possession by that time) and it didn't solve anything, other than no longer powering itself off and suddenly becoming a lot quieter.

Obvious as it sounds, those are video card issues... I would take argatoga's advice.

First rule out software issues. Uninstall your current video drivers, make sure all files are gone (delete the folder manually), restart and let Windows install the default drivers, then install the newest drivers for your card and reboot again and see where that gets you. If that doesn't work, next step would be to wipe your Windows and reinstall it.

If that doesn't help either then it's hardware and your video card is likely toast. I was getting that same dialog last year, turned out my video card was fried... after some research I came across a fix that involved a kitchen oven, that made the card work okay for another year before it finally died.

Edit: Oh, also make sure the video card is getting enough air to cool itself down. Make sure the fan spinning and isn't blocked and stuff like that.

Last edited:
yeah my laptop does that too, always while playing flash-video.
dust can here i come!