DivX-compatible DVD players

transtek

mexico-land of tequila and big hats (but secretly
Car(s)
Nissan Pathfinder, Chevrolet Monza, Ninja 600
Hi folks,
just a quick question. I'm thinkin of buying a Samsung DVD for my TV on which to watch my Top Gear DVD's in their original avi format.
Has anyone done this? And what's the quality like, in general for these type of DVD's?

Hasn't this been done before.... ?

I swear we already had a thread on this.

**EDIT**

Sorry, not exactly the same, but pretty close.

http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopi...=0&postorder=asc&highlight=dvd+player&start=0

In fact I'm just going to paste in my post from that thread.

My girlfriend bought a "Telefunken" DVD player for next to nothing and it was the best investment she has ever made.

You just burn the data files onto the DVD, pop it in, use a little menu that comes up to select what file you want to play and there they are with no fuss and no reduction in quality.

In fact I was quite shocked when she showed it to me, I'm used to getting quite a reduction in image quality as I usually convert them to iPod format and use that to play them on my TV, but this was a nice, clean, perfect image.

I'm thinking of going to get one myself.

:oops:
Thanks Janus, that thread IS very similar (should have done a search I guess!).
But, on the other hand, anyone tried these Samsung ones?
Pretty cheap here now and virtually the only brand that's widely available with DivX compatibility, as most other makes and virtually all home theatres here are still only DVD-comaptible, believe it or not... oh the woes of living in a third-world country!!!

Well, most of them use the same chip anyway... Mostly they don't like packed bitstream and almost none like bvops or gmc... Packed bitstream is easy to get rid off, the other 2 might need a reenc.
I almost never had any gmc avis and VUK doesn't use it, afaik...

Yeah even the Phillips and Sunstech(dont ask) ones we have the GMC vids always give a lot of problems.

i have a yamada 6700 and its fantastic, only cost ?40 but is a bliding player. Plays just about anything i throw at it. Simply burn as data, pop it in and away you go :D

I might recommend xoro. Should be awfully cheap now, and played everything... I have a 400 pro, although I don't use it anymore...

I have a Phillips and it does work good, I have been seeing all my top/fifth gear on it, it even has a memory card reader!, but if you can get one with a USB connection, also get one with DIVx Plus... so you have have menus and Subtitles if you need it.

I dont know if they have these in Mexico but here in the States, you can buy the very cheap $50 Phillips 612(forgot what else it was called) divx dvd player.

I burn top gear to divx like a data DVD. then stick it in, pick it at the browser window(which is very laggy btw) and it plays top gear as if it were from the original source' quality. Quality to me is absolutely perfect!! better than a DVD movie sometimes.

TechZ said:
KiSS started it all, and their players play rm/wmv/avi too. Might pricey at the same time, Cisco own them now

KiSS is really nice, got one, plays everything you throw in it :thumbsup:

mgkdk said:
TechZ said:
KiSS started it all, and their players play rm/wmv/avi too. Might pricey at the same time, Cisco own them now

KiSS is really nice, got one, plays everything you throw in it :thumbsup:
Bet it won't play any of my dads old 45's...