DIY Air Intake

nouseferaname90

I found a website that had a tutorial for how to do it with a tsx. Has anyone else done a DIY intake? I want to still be able to put the stock one back in when I take it in for services. This is what I am planning on doing...

It's at the bottom of the page
http://www.sca40.com/intake/

If you want to, go for it. I call it "butt-dyno", power that you perceive, but not significant in performance. If anything, you will get rid of a lot of sound deadening parts so when you stomp on it, it will sound throatier, or in the case of my car, you can hear the turbo spool and BOV.

ANd a dealership cannot penalize you for this, please refer to this article.

I have, it's basically a "warm air intake" though, but seeing as it's also a winter driver, I don't really get the "bad" hot-engine-compartment-air effect. Makes the supercharger whine very nice and audible and I got a boost in mpg from ~15 to 18-19 in the city and nearly 30 on the highway. As far as increased power... well that's iffy for me, I did get just a little bit, but the car is supercharged and I'm at high altitude so the increase was negligible. Down at low altitude though I'm quite sure it would make a good noticeable difference.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/nabster/2008/12/01/intake.jpg

Someone appears to have installed your Buick 231 in your car sideways. :D

Waste of time and money, and that site is filled with a bunch of half truths and assumptions portrayed as fact.

Just leave the car the way Honda wanted it and save $60.

Waste of time and money, and that site is filled with a bunch of half truths and assumptions portrayed as fact.

Completely agree, but VTEC does sound awesome with a pod filter. I was driving a Type-R teggy the other day and OMG I nearly shat my pants when it kicked in :lol:

I just wanted a throatier sound from my car. I didn't even bother reading the other part of the site.

Someone appears to have installed your Buick 231 in your car sideways. :D

And it revolted and started lots of them on fire. :lol:

I just wanted a throatier sound from my car. I didn't even bother reading the other part of the site.

if sound is all you want, this is definitely the right thing to do... as far as just about everything else is concerned, it?s safe to assume that the people who designed your car put quite a lot of thought into how air finds it?s way inside the engine...

My final question is that will it make my car sound like crap?

one of my friends was saying that this type of intake (comparing it to a short ram) would make my car sound ricer...and I do not want that.

well, while these cone filters do sound cool, though anyone who actually knows a thing or two about cars will be able to tell immediately what you?ve done to make your car sound cool, and they will immediately put you in the ricer category...

a mate of mine had a K&N open air filter. Sounded quite nice, but as soon as you went over 3500RPM you went deaf inside. A 5000rpm Autobahn run made it impossible to talk or listen to music as all you heard was

WRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And this is annoying. :D

As well, as soon as you forget to oil your filter you are done. And as I am lazy, I prefer switching my paper air filter every year :)

If you want to, go for it. I call it "butt-dyno", power that you perceive, but not significant in performance. If anything, you will get rid of a lot of sound deadening parts so when you stomp on it, it will sound throatier, or in the case of my car, you can hear the turbo spool and BOV.

ANd a dealership cannot penalize you for this, please refer to this article.

Im fairly sure they can.

Had a case recently at my dealership where a guy fitted a CAS to his Corolla Sportivo 2ZZ-GE. Had the pod filter sitting exposed inside the LHF inner guard. What happened was that this guy drove through a fairly deep water crossing during a storm and hydraulic locked the motor. The guy tried for warrenty but because the intake system was considered "no longer standard" he was denied. 2ZZ-GE's cost 10k and he had to pay it all. Also had to re-fit the factory airbox and intake hoses to keep warrenty on the new motor.

My final question is that will it make my car sound like crap?

one of my friends was saying that this type of intake (comparing it to a short ram) would make my car sound ricer...and I do not want that.

Not to pick on you, but installing an intake for the sole purpose of "sounding better" is a very ricer move. If you're worried about being a ricer than leave the car stock.

I have made the decision not to do it. Might as well just wait and buy a cold air if anything at all.

Im fairly sure they can.

Had a case recently at my dealership where a guy fitted a CAS to his Corolla Sportivo 2ZZ-GE. Had the pod filter sitting exposed inside the LHF inner guard. What happened was that this guy drove through a fairly deep water crossing during a storm and hydraulic locked the motor. The guy tried for warrenty but because the intake system was considered "no longer standard" he was denied. 2ZZ-GE's cost 10k and he had to pay it all. Also had to re-fit the factory airbox and intake hoses to keep warrenty on the new motor.

Two differences in that though, the aftermarket parts caused the problem and your comparing Aus rules and regulations to US rules and regulations.

Fair nuff, but isn't that what DIY air intakes/CAI systems are?

Should have read the link Jayhawk posted in full on the US bit though.

However I would have thought that dealers and manufacturers world wide would want to protect themselves from blind idiocy like the case I posted. Makes sense to me that if you fit something non standard to the vehicle and that component causes damage, then you should be liable for the cost of replacement parts. Makes sense to me.

The problem in that case wasn't the intake, it was the fact the driver drove through deep enough water to get to the intake- that was plain stupidity. It was said it was basically a fenderwell intake, thats not much lower on the car than the stock intake would have been- had he driven father into the water and it got into the stock intake had it been in place they would have done nothing either- drivers fault he drove into deep water. You're supposed to know not to drive into deep water because of this, and the fact your car with you in it can be washed away.

I don't see a problem with these. You pick up a tiny bit of power and mileage, and it sounds good to boot. Now doing something like I did with my last Celica and chopping the bottom of the factory air box off; that's a ricer move. :lol: