DIY Shops - Any experiences?

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2023 Mazda CX-5 Premium
Thinking about giving this a go to try changing my brake pads and rotors. Due to my gravel inclined driveway I can't do it at home and the idea of having access to more powerful air tools, air conditioning, and not having to worry about possibly not having a tool is appealing because of my luck in general.

In the past, it's been impossible to find a DIY place but one is apparently open about a hour and a half away in Mt. Alto and it looks like it could be a winner: http://www.shadetreegarage.us/

Anyone try this before?

The issue with this sort of setup is that you're one snapped bolt or wrong part away from having your car stuck on a lift that you're paying for by the hour.

It's bad enough when your workspace is free and you end up with a car stuck on stands that can't be reassembled until parts are sourced...

The issue with this sort of setup is that you're one snapped bolt or wrong part away from having your car stuck on a lift that you're paying for by the hour.

It's bad enough when your workspace is free and you end up with a car stuck on stands that can't be reassembled until parts are sourced...

I might be biased but there's an advantage to trusting garages and/or local parts stores. I deal with wrong parts on a daily basis and will continue to do so until VAG are the only ones left producing cars, basically.

On brakes? Maybe a 30+ year old car but I would think a fairly recent model Kia will be ok.

On brakes? Maybe a 30+ year old car but I would think a fairly recent model Kia will be ok.
Heat can be a bitch to fasteners. Depending on the DIY place you might have the appropriate tools to deal with them but maybe not. You're also assuming that a GDPO hasn't already fucked something you didn't know about.

I'd only be comfortable doing simple jobs like wheel rotations or oil changes at a DIY place, where a lift and maybe a proper oil catcher help to make it an easier and less unpleasant job.

Heat can be a bitch to fasteners. Depending on the DIY place you might have the appropriate tools to deal with them but maybe not. You're also assuming that a GDPO hasn't already fucked something you didn't know about.

I'd only be comfortable doing simple jobs like wheel rotations or oil changes at a DIY place, where a lift and maybe a proper oil catcher help to make it an easier and less unpleasant job.

Well that’s one of the things I was impressed with the shop Rick posted. $35 half hour oil change deal and they provide the oil and disposal. But you can get fucked with an oil change as well, like when the last cunt He-Manned the drain plug on…

Also, if you don't have any experience with this sort of thing, it might be better to either find a friend who does and buy them some beers in return to guide you, or leave it to an expert. Brakes are one of the critical things you don't want to go wrong.

On brakes? Maybe a 30+ year old car but I would think a fairly recent model Kia will be ok

Hope for the best, expect the worst!

My Civic was an 2005 and by 2016 the rear calliper bolts had all decided they'd much rather be perfectly round than bolt shaped. The bleed nipples also rounded off. It actually had rustier fittings than any of my other shitters, only my last '89 Volvo came close.