DNS Outage

hokiethang

Car(s)
2007 Durango
If you didn't already know, I happen to run the DNS servers for finalgear.

I'm in the middle of an upgrade right now of my main DNS server, and well the VPS that I was using for the backup is/was misconfigured, and caused DNS to fail for the site.

I've reconfigured the backup one as a master, and i'm going to start looking into adding another DNS server to my network of DNS serving, so that next time this process will be much more seamless.

The primary servers will be back on by Sunday, but I think things are resolved to the point of not having to worry further this weekend.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Your friendly neighborhood DNS host.

Thanks for fixing it! :)

Shit happens, but it was kinda odd to see the forum out anyway. ;)

I blame YOU! I went almost an hour without my FinalGear fix and now I'm permanently scarred!

pheeew~ that 30 minutes of no final gear felt like 30 minutes without air.

even tried going into the chat to see whats up, but even THAt was down..

very relieved that it's back!

any idea why the IRC is knocked off online as well. Cant get to both stig and vtech and the main irc.finalgear.com is also down.

any idea why the IRC is knocked off online as well. Cant get to both stig and vtech and the main irc.finalgear.com is also down.

same problem here. earlier today, I had IRC access, but no website, and now it's the other way around.

For future IRC reference:

vtec.irc.finalgear.com = 72.8.137.214
nurburgring.irc.finalgear.com = 208.67.216.132

You can connect to the IP manually if the DNS goes down.

Even using the IP only, I can't connect to the IRC. :(

although those aren't working for me either...

EDIT: whooops, clegg beat me

Those are resolving to the wrong addresses

Vtec = 72.20.38.106
nurburgring = 81.171.42.235

Those are resolving to the wrong addresses

Vtec = 72.20.38.106
nurburgring = 81.171.42.235

hmm odd, the file hadn't been updated since August, and nurburgring wasnt even in there. I added it manually, and i'll check the zonefile on the master when I finish the data transition.

hmm odd, the file hadn't been updated since August, and nurburgring wasnt even in there. I added it manually, and i'll check the zonefile on the master when I finish the data transition.
Yeah, I had alot of dns changes since then-- the master is the only logon I have/had, so that's where all the changes were made.

Alright, and pm/email me the dns zone file whenever you pull it from the server- thanks.