Do all people in the US drive without a license plate?

In Finland, we need to have both front and rear licence plates. As soon as the police spot you without a plate, they pull you over and fine you.

But from what I've heard, practically all Caterham and Lotus Seven owners in the country (Cant be more than a few dozen, hard to register here) drive without front plates.

The trick is to drive without the plate, and when the cops pull you over, just say: "Oh, it must have fallen off on the motorway, etc." They make an addition to your registration "Need to order a new front plate", and if you don't have one at the next MOT, you wont pass. A new front plate costs 30? and the addition in your registration says that you have 3 months to put a new plate on. So basically, you can drive without a front plate for 3 months for 30?, which equates to 120? a year. If the police pull you over after you have ordered a new plate, you can show them the receipt (sp? is it "receit"?) and they can't fine you :D Once the 3 month time is over just order a new plate, no need to put it on :p

And then use the plates you keep buying to decorate your house? What are you going to do with them all?

I suppose you could speak nicely to someone working at a shop selling plates and ask them to just print off the receipt for you with a new date. But that's bad, don't do it. ;)

i did 2 runs from North MN to South TX in the Summer with my paper temporary slips only an Empty plate slot and the paper behind my 10% tint Rear window

Last edited:
And then use the plates you keep buying to decorate your house? What are you going to do with them all?

I suppose you could speak nicely to someone working at a shop selling plates and ask them to just print off the receipt for you with a new date. But that's bad, don't do it. ;)

Yeah, you could decorate your house with them :D

The problem with having someone print you a receit is that you have to order the plates through AKE, which is a government run organization, so you can't really cheat with the receipts.:)

Yeah, you could decorate your house with them :D

The problem with having someone print you a receit is that you have to order the plates through AKE, which is a government run organization, so you can't really cheat with the receipts.:)

Ah, we can buy plates from wherever we want. :p