Do not turn on your PS3's

Vltros

Car(s)
2011 Honda CR-Z 1977 Ford Fiesta MK1
I posted this in the Playstation ID's thread but I hope more people will see it in here:

Fellow FinalGearers who own a Fat PS3. Do not turn on your consoles.

1up said:
PlayStation 3 consoles around the world appear to have gone on strike. Reports have been coming in since Sunday that the PlayStation Network is now inaccessible, and that certain PS3 games have been rendered unplayable.

The issue appears to be affecting systems that came out before 2009's PlayStation 3 Slim. Trying to load up PS3 games on one of those systems will result in an error code and a notice that trophies cannot be loaded.

A 1UP 60 gigabyte PlayStation 3 was no exception to this sudden meltdown. Both a Japanese copy of Final Fantasy XIII and Flower gave the error code. Development studios appear to be affected as well; Develop is reporting that industry debug units have been thrown into a "rebooting cycle, due to an endlessly-looping error message."

In an update on the PlayStation Blog, Sony wrote, "We're aware that many of you are having difficulty connecting to the PlayStation Network this evening. Those of you with "slim" PS3s (the 120/250 GB models) appear to be unaffected."

"Know that we have narrowed down the issue and have engineers working to restore service even as you read this. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, and genuinely appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this."

Speculation has surfaced that this problem may have to do with a calendar error. It seems that the fact that 2010 is the first even-numbered non-leap year the machine has encountered may have caused the problem. Once again, this is just speculation right now.

We'll keep you up to date as more information arrives. In the meantime, check out the running discussion of the problem at our forums.

UPDATE: Sony has released a statement confirming that the problems are caused by a clock error. They hope to resolve the issue in 24 hours, but in the meantime, they've warned PS3 users not to turn on their systems. Doing so "may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data."

We'll let you know when the all clear is given.

Texted my brother at home, hope it's not too late.... weird problem.

Dunno if mine is affected. Got it when MGS4 came out. Guess I will just keep playing Darksiders on 360 then. :D

I was on my PS3 last night. I tried to log on to PSN, but it wouldn't work. I changed the time manually, and then turned the system off. Didn't really think anything of it. I didn't play any games. It's good to know that it wasn't just me.

I'd laugh, but I'm waiting for my 4th xbox to be delivered today.

And people still buy Sony's crap. Amazing.

Don't do that. Don't be a fanboy and ruin all the respect I have for you.

Don't do that. Don't be a fanboy and ruin all the respect I have for you.
I'm not a fanboy of Microsoft, Nintendo or anything, really... I'm the anti-fanboy.

That said, I love Super Mario Bros for the Wii :lol:

Happened to my 60 GB unit last night, all I was trying to do was Netflix streaming. At least there's an explanation for it, thanks for the info.

Happened to mine, confused me but once I googled the error code and found that everyone else had it I figured Sony have got to sort it out soon. I don't really care about losing trophies, but if I lose my save games or even have to reformat my console I'll be properly pissed off (although it'll be a decent excuse to buy a larger hard drive for it).

thanks for the heads-up. i haven't touched my ps3 in days so i'll wait for them to get this sorted out

My fatty works, for what it's worth. Now downloading the Heavy Rain update.