Do you believe in Global Warming/Climate Change

Do you believe in Global Warming/Climate Change

• Total voters

AshDav

I just thought this could be interesting

i have my own personal views on this whole climate change phenomenon, which i'm not going to elaborate on and give all my detailed reasons for in this post due to respect of other peoples decisions.

Basically i do believe in climate change, but i do not believe human beings have caused it, and that it is a continuation of a natural cycle. I also feel that the dramatic and 'end-of-world' speculations are massively exaggerated, and humans will continue to live on this planet.

Lately there have been quite a few cases of wild weather, all of which were blamed on the global warming we are producing here and now.
Prior that i went and did a little research on global warming purely out of interest and have seen a few docos on it, so my mind is full of thoughts and opinions right now.

So im interested in hearing yours, starting with a vote on the poll
oh, and i know it can be a touchy issue for the strong believers and activists, and i respect that, but please keep an open mind and please, no neg rep :)

and also, for people curious on the matter, and not knowing what to believe, i suggest you have a look at this doco here. I found it great
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1584963
If anyone else has interesting docos or media on it then id love to have a look

Last edited:
Don't we already have a thread about this?

We had this poll, which was a slightly different question, but the discussion probably covered similar ground. A scan through other threads about the subject gives a pretty clear indication of where members stand.

We had this poll, which was a slightly different question, but the discussion probably covered similar ground. A scan through other threads about the subject gives a pretty clear indication of where members stand.

i did see that one, but didnt think it was the same as what i was asking

Oh no, we're producing 8000,000,000 tonnes!!! Except of course that the earth naturally generates many times that.. But including such numbers would ruin such a dramatic graph.

Needs another option "could well be true, but doesn't stop me wanting to bbq every member of the new carbon emissions cult on top of a big pile of tyres."

Climate change happens, as it has done for billions of years, and will continue to do as long as the earth has an atmosphere. Are humans the cause of it? I don't think so, at best a very little cog in the entire process. To say that humans cause global warming is giving ourselves too much credit. To think we can do anything to stop global warming, is just gross overestimation of our own abilities.

Clearly it has nothing to do with humans.

Please tell me what that graph has to do with humans causing climate change or not. I just shows carbon emissions, which have risen over the past century yes. Nowhere it shows any correlation between carbon emissions and rising temperatures.

You havent looked into this graph enough
it only shows amount of carbon humans have produced, and in what quantities.
humans may well produce 8 megatons or whatever, but its completely dwarfed by things such as animals, who naturally produce 160 megatons. And foliage off of trees and naturally decomposing plantation produce more than that still

I heard a good analogy of this. There's a problem with your car and you're looking for the source. You ignore the engine, you disregard the gearbox and instead look at one nut on the rear left wheel.
That is humans input to carbon dioxide levels

I haven't chosen any from the poll because I pretty much fall in two of the three camps. I only slightly believe in the whole climate change thing but humans are not to blame. But other than that I think the whole thing is filled with crap that ecomentalists make up to make themselves feelbetter and force anyone that doesn't like to eat south African peace crisps to suffer because they have better lives than that of the eco-bastards. (sorry if anyone Reading this is one but that is my view).

It has been proven, somewhere on the interwebs, that it is becase of a natural cycle that the earth goes through as it is still heating up from the last iceage in the same way that Scotland is still rising from the weight of the ice from the iceage.

I think that is me done just now, I would have written more if I hadn't been on my phone.

These graphs and figures pretty much disregard CO2's involvement in driving the climate

The highlighted section of this graph shows the post war era, in which there was an economic boom. Through this boom industry was at its highest point ever and this includes man made CO2 production. So clearly, through this boom CO2 levels went way up, but as you can see, the temperature goes down, which shows there is no direct link between rising CO2 and rising temperatures.
You can also see that before the war, in the section before 1940, the temperature is naturally rising at a very similar rate to later on in the graph. And this is in a time where there was no significant man made CO2 production, which once again shows no direct link between CO2 and temperature
20090126-pm39k59ha77c82q5x23tya4a33.jpg

This graph here is the one that really did it for me
This is a blown up section of a much larger graph. As you can see there is a link between Temperature (which is red) and CO2 (shown in blue). The two graphs pretty much fit together.
Al gore showed the full version of this graph, however the graph was at such a vast scale and over such a time period that it didnt show the real problem, which can only be seen on closer examination and puts their theories to shame
CO2 rises AFTER the temperature rises, and by 800 years.
This clearly shows that it is not humans driving the climate, but rather it is the climate driving the changes in CO2 levels, and with a huge 800 year lag
The 800 years can also be explained. When the ocean is cooler, it absorbs more CO2. When it is warmer, it releases more CO2. Due to the size of the worlds oceans, it is impossibly hard to change its temperature, and in fact can take 800 years for the ocean to respond to a rise in temperature 800 years ago. And as it gets warmer, it releases more CO2, which directly corresponds to the rise in CO2 AFTER the rise in temperature
20090126-j4nmabgfqu9kkbcueyqj8nhy65.jpg

Make sense?

Last edited:
I believe that climate change is happening, just not in the "end of the world" way, my vegetarian classmate seems to think that cars are driven by ignorants, ironically he told me that he would jump at the chance of owning one of these,

chevy%202.jpg

Also, he says Priuses are useless

We both agree on that one.

Believe it or not, if you dig down deep enough (eg research Kyoto) you'll see that there really isn't any hard cold proof that this isn't just another of the Earth's usual cycles that it goes through every zillion years.

cue neg-rep in 3...2...1...

Believe it or not, if you dig down deep enough (eg research Kyoto) you'll see that there really isn't any hard cold proof that this isn't just another of the Earth's usual cycles that it goes through every zillion years

very true. And as my graphs above show, there is cold hard proof against most of their claims

Some scientists say that global warming is crap. Because one volcano burst can produce more C02 than humans have produced for almost 100 years. It is proven that weather is really generally getting colder. Example: About 1000 years ago in northern part of Europe (Scandinavia some other countries too) there were oaks every were, but now only very few oaks are in these places. You know that oaks need warmer areas to grow. So at least there is getting colder. and on early 20th century people thought that on 21th century the would be tigers in where I live. I don`d see any of them. They could not survive here because here is so cold. So i suggest not to take global warming so seriously

And as my graphs above show, there is cold hard proof against most of their claims

This kind of situation like now has appeared before Last ice age (not really sure but still some say). And in few thousand years there might come new ice age

Last edited:
Without taking any side in the actual discussion, may I just "throw in" that 'global warming' doesn't equate that it gets warmer everywhere? It simply says that there is a rise in average global temperatures. The local effects may vary, so when it gets colder where you live, it doesn't mean that it isn't caused by global warming.