Do you drive Manual / Standard transmission in the UK?

Do you drive Manual / Standard transmission in the UK?

• No, why would I ever use the e-brake unless there was an EMERGENCY?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't drive manual transmission... what's a clutch? whats an e-brake?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I thought the point of using the handbrake over the pedal was that you have much less braking force applied to the discs(or drums) allowing the car to accelerate forward while having brakes still partially engaged :unsure: whereas with the heal-toe all 4 discs(or whatever) are engaged and have more braking pressure applied at the point where it keeps the car stationary so you have to have rev much higher - whether you actually prematurely put wear on the clutch or not is a moot point but if you screw up a heal-toe launch on a hill you'll either stall or run into something :roll: but with handbrake you just hold up traffic for 5 more seconds 8)

Hill take-off is usually told to do by using handbrake in my northern country. But I dont know is it mandatory in driving test, I dont think so.

I have never heard concept of "Emergency Brake".

If brakes dont work then you do engine braking using gears.

"just funny to think that RHD drivers shift with their "weak" hand.. impressive too".

I grew-up and learned to drive on the right, then have spent the lst 15 years driving over here on the left (of the car that is), and I truly believe that it is better to shift with their "weak" hand and have their strong hand on the steering wheel than the other way round, as stering requires much more control and precision than moving a gear stick.

Oh yeah, I always use my handbrake on a hill, to save clutch wear, rest my legs and not rool backwards as here, EVERYONE sits on your rear bumper/fender all the time, just move back 5 cm or 3 inches and that's it.. BANG!

u can only do heel-toe foot bender stuff only 3-4 times in a short period of time
that's where you use the handbrake.

where i live, we got this mountain road that always jammed every weekends.
handbrake is your best friend after 2 hours stuck at a fairly high inclined road jammed full of cars.
after 10 stop and go in 5 mins, you'll wish u know how to use the handbrake

anyway, can u give me one example of "emergency" situation where u use the "e-brake" ??

sydney_walker said:
anyway, can u give me one example of "emergency" situation where u use the "e-brake" ??
maybe when both your shoulders suddenly become dislocated (so you can't steer) and your brake pedal has fallen off(must be Italian) you're having engine troubles(again must be Italian) so you have pull over but the "road shoulder" is on the other side. obviously. so you use your handbrake while simultaneously giving your (FWD) car a bunch of revs in order to create torque steer resulting in a 180degree turn and a complete stop. and that's entirely plausible. yes. hence emergency brake. :)