Votes: 14 15.6%
  • No, not allowed

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 34.4%

• Total voters
How much blood do they take?

In the UK it's just under a pint.

I've given blood 3 times (and am apparently meant to get a 'thank you' pen, for that), despite my horrible fear of needles.

I'm well overdue to give again but can't at the moment due to some of the "can't give blood if..." rulkes.

I'd think getting CPR from a sexy nurse if you feign fainting would overcome the fear. :p

Every time I see one around.

Spoilered for grossnessmanliness.
If you're afraid of 16 gauge needles, you should see what a 12 gauge needle will do for you. The nurse failed while placing a special IV line that goes right to my heart; I've never seen that much of my own blood before AND BONUS I've never seen a nurse almost faint before. :D

I do, probably not as often as I should as I have O negative blood.

I donated a lot in high school. Then once I was out and had to go to the Red Cross and deal with the assholes that were working there, I haven't donated since.

They made me feel like I was inconveniencing them by donating. Fuck you.

I tried to donate once despite my dislike of needles, but I had a heart operation at 16 and apparently I have quite an irregular heart beat now which they were none too pleased about. I since found out that my blood condition prevents me from donating anyway. poo.

They organize drives here and send you invitations weeks in advance and you get a badge on your 5th donation, 10th, 25th, 50th, 100th, etc... My dad went along and donated for the 55th time today.

No, I've never donated blood and probably never will. Even though the nurse who was working in the hospital said that my blood type (O) is ideal for donation, since it works with all other type of blood (or something along the lines of that... can't remember)

I just don't like the idea of transferring my blood to someone else I don't know, so put simply, no.

I'm not allowed, got high blood pressure, well it's fine with medication so then the medication prevents me from donating.

No, I've never donated blood and probably never will. Even though the nurse who was working in the hospital said that my blood type (O) is ideal for donation, since it works with all other type of blood (or something along the lines of that... can't remember)

I just don't like the idea of transferring my blood to someone else I don't know, so put simply, no.
No offense, but that's really selfish for someone with an endless supply of the most required type of blood. I only say this because there's just never enough blood to go around and I'm on the receiving end.

Man FG people are a bunch of pansies.....grow a pair people, it's just a needle.
Amen to that.

This is far and away the weirdest reason I have ever heard for not giving blood. I can understand a moderate fear of getting blood from others for a variety of reasons, but you have a fear of giving your blood to others????? Do you have Heaptitis Q or some weird untreatable strain of Ebola??? If not, your reasoning is just way too far off base for me to even grasp.

If I can translate your words into something a little more simple, you basically said "I have a fear of helping others even though I have the perfect way to do it right here in my body. A nurse even explained to me that I am the perfect guy for the job, but I am too scared to actually help people who might need a liter of my blood to save them on the operating table. "

Really??? That is how you roll? :blink::?

I guess the term "moves to the beat of a different drummer" just got expanded by one more meaning!

Just donated last week. I'm up to my 24th donation. I don't like the needles and can't look at my arm with the dirty great thing sticking out of it. But on the plus side, it's VERY cheap to get drunk for the next day or two.

my blood type (O) is ideal for donation, since it works with all other type of blood (or something along the lines of that... can't remember)

Yep, Type O can be given to people with type O, A, B or AB.
Type A can be given to people with type A or AB.
Type B can be given to people with type B or AB.
Type AB can only be given to people with AB.
Then there's the Rhesus Factor (Rh) which is the + or - that you hear referred to. People who are Rh- can't receive blood that is Rh+.

So the best type of blood for donors is O-, because that can be given to anyone. the best type of blood for recipients is AB+

There is some weird rule that you can't do it if you have tattoos or piercings...which I don't really get.

In Australia, you can't donate for 12 months after getting a tattoo. It's to do with the risk of infections from equipment that hasn't been correctly sterilised.

Just donated last week. I'm up to my 24th donation. I don't like the needles and can't look at my arm with the dirty great thing sticking out of it. But on the plus side, it's VERY cheap to get drunk for the next day or two.
This is why blood drives on college campuses are so effective. :lol: When I was at college, your normal-sized/staffed blood drive would have a 45 minute wait.

I'm not completely sure if they'll take my blood even if I give it to them. Besides, I hate that feeling of being drained and dizzy afterwards. I had lots of blood taken at one time for blood tests and I felt sick the rest of the day, I avoided giving blood since then.

I guess everyone has a different reaction. Every time I've given, I've never felt light headed or woozy afterward.

I fainted last time I had blood work done, so no, I won't donate because I'm afraid I will faint and have a seizure again.