Votes: 29 32.2%
  • No, but I want to/plan on doing it

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • No, not allowed

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 34.4%

• Total voters
So you'd happily refuse to give blood if only that would save another person's life?

"But look, here's some money, that'll make you feel better!"

So you'd happily refuse to give blood if only that would save another person's life?

This here is a dumb argument, since it can very well be turned upside down:

Someone needs expensive new cancer medicine or else they will die or not live as long as they would with the said medication.

"Oh hey, I am too cheap to give the healthcare any money, but do feel free to take 2 pints of my blood, I'm sure that helps".

Or let's say there's been a hurricane. People need food, shelter etc. Most of this is done by the army, police AND volunteer work. And most of you (me included) choose to stay home and watch TV rather than go out and help.

"Yeah, I do feel sorry for you and your family, but unfortunately I can't be bothered to help you, since Top Gear is on in 15 minutes. But hey, luvkiyl you can have my blood, hopethathelpsokbyebyethen!"

Giving money and doing volunteer work is just as if not even more important than "only" giving blood.

Let me ask you this: how many of you contribute your time and effort or money to help others like madcow ? Because some might say he is the one giving the most back to the society of all you lot. Now I don't give blood, because I am not allowed to nor do I give money to random charity, only to war veterans and I don't do volunteer work, so I really am not the one to talk here. But then again I acknowledge that I am a bad person and therefore don't ever try to claim otherwise.

The reason why I am backing up Madcow here is that I feel you guys are blowing this waaaaay out of proportion because I dislike this kind of hypocritical bullcrap from people who judge others without any hesitation and don't take the time to actually think what they are saying here.

And if all else fails; what is the matter with having principles these days ? I respect anyone who sticks to their guns even if it sometimes might be stupid an irrational.

Last edited:
So just because we're car nuts there's absolutely no room for no morality? We're outlaws, every one of us? Yee, haw?

Okay, so let me ask you. Apart from donating blood, what else have you done to the society? Because to be honest, donating blood doesn't take much of your personal time, nor does it require serious devotion.

So what have you done?

Donating canned food? money? work as a volunteer for the SPCA? What about rotary club? What about giving up your precious sunday afternoon time working in a mall to raise fund for charity? Have you done that? I've been doing it with both of my parents since I was a young kid. They are both rotary club members and guess what? They don't donate blood as well, so does that make them unworthy people too?

Ask yourself these questions before question other people. Don't see yourself as a saint just beacuse you've donated blood in the past. I've said it quite a few times before, I don't want to donate blood simply because I'm not comfortable with it. It's that simple. I don't pressurise other people to work as a volunteer, so you shouldn't do the same. It's something that you choose to do on your own, hence the word "donate" & "volunteer".

I can easily turn the table around and flame your arse for not helping out the world by working as a volunteer and donating money. But that would be unfair and rude, which is exactly what you are doing. Both food money and blood can save countless of lives, so I don't see what's the fuss all about.

That is not what I asked, stop being silly.

Actually his post makes a lot of sense, but you are too narrow minded to see the point.

Last edited:
I am currently banned from giving blood ... because I lived in England during the mid 90s (when cases of Human Mad Cow Disease emerged). The Australian Red Cross has banned anyone who:
  • Have resided in the UK between 1980 and 1996 for a total (cumulative) time of 6 months or more,
or
  • Have received blood transfusions in the UK since 1 January 1980.
The UK Government really stuffed up badly in their management of Mad Cow Disease. They had plenty of evidence, quite early in the epidemic, to make the right decisions ... instead they decided to down play the danger (for financial reasons) to humans and put the whole population of the country at risk.

For some reason, I feel like giving blood. Seems like the right thing to do, really. Time to visit the Red Cross website...

"Oh hey, I am too cheap to give the healthcare any money, but do feel free to take 2 pints of my blood, I'm sure that helps".
Um...no. Blood is free to give, sometimes cheaper than free. If you don't have money, you don't have money. You always have blood.

And you actually get stuff that's worth money for it!

I've only donated once, I seem to always miss the open days.

I couldn't give blood for 10 years due to a disease I got when I was younger. When I finally went late last year, they turned me away because of a- low blood pressure (they weren't sure that they would get enough, if any blood out of me before I fainted) and b- my fear of needles.... They actually told me to not bother again (told my dad that too for reason a, they won't accept him anymore.)

Weird...

Um...no. Blood is free to give, sometimes cheaper than free. If you don't have money, you don't have money. You always have blood.

hey, you don't get money, but you get something better!
FREE COOKIES! (And a hot sexxxy nurse doing the blood taking if you're lucky)

I couldn't give blood for 10 years due to a disease I got when I was younger. When I finally went late last year...

I see that you're 17 years old... From what age are you allowed to donate blood in your country? (This is a question to all of you.) Here you can't donate before you turn 18.

Third donation today...went yesterday but forgot about the whole parental consent thing for under 18's...
So had to get that signed and went back today.
Booked again for April. I'll be donating platelets around then too as I turn 18 in march and you have to be 18 to donate platelets...
And for the record, i also donate money to charities when i see a chance and I also used to do charity work...

I want to give blood, but I'm not old enough yet (17 is the age limit here). Actually, a "Bloodmobile" (I swear to god that this was written on that HUGE Chevy truck, I should've taken pics) was in the school about a week ago, and I wanted to donate, but then I discovered the age limit. >:

I couldn't do it, I'd probably black out in 2 seconds. I hate needles.

I used to get blood tests all the time and I hated it every time. There is no way I could handle being attached to a needle for more than 30 seconds. I also have rolling veins so getting blood from me can be a big pain in the ass. One time it was so bad that the phlebotomist poked me in both arms several times and I eventually couldn't handle it and I blacked out for 45 min.

I know, I'm a pussy. :lol:

I also have rolling veins so getting blood...
So do I. Whenever I get an IV (which is a lot), they usually have to try 3 or 4 times before they get one in that works.

Yeah, I donate blood at least once a year, it's a good thing to do!