Votes: 29 32.2%
  • No, but I want to/plan on doing it

Votes: 14 15.6%
  • No, not allowed

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 34.4%

• Total voters
what's this 2 days off crap? If that were true I'd give blood every single time I could.

Is that 2 PAID days off?
We just get some cookies, a drink and a toy (beach ball or keychain or something like that)

Going again soon anyways, if anyone needs some A- they can use mine, I have enough to spare apparently

Yeah, 2 paid days off as the blood is a donation to charity, unlike getting paid like in some countries.

I used to even though I have a needle phobia. But I take blood thinners now.

Don't think anyone who needs blood like NOW should be getting blood with blood thinner in it... So, I'm out.

I used to donate, but haven't in the past 5 years or so since they won't take my blood anymore. I had a relative pass away from Creutzfeldt?Jakob disease, and they won't take it out of fear I may have it lurking dormant somewhere in me.

lmao at this 2 days off work crap.

If any my employees tried to pull something like that just to get off work, I'd sack them on the spot.

It had been a while since I last did it (9-12 months), but I gave blood last week. :)

Donated again last week. Still feels goodman :)

Annoyingly I went a few weeks ago but couldn't donate. Hadn't made an appointment so had to wait for just over an hour (with mates so not all too bad) before being honest and telling them I had recently returned from travelling (only around Europe; no risk, right?). Little did I know due to the fact I'd been in North East Italy I couldn't donate due to risk of West Nile Virus until 28 days after I'd returned. Alas I went home with all the blood I'd arrived with. Went back a week later and donated almost fine. As I'd scratched my left arm I had to donate with my right - fine except it took 13 minutes 56 seconds. They stop the donation at 15 minutes :lol:

Anyway; a related thing. Finally they are beginning to see sense in this country:

BBC said:
The lifetime ban on blood donations by homosexual and bisexual men will be lifted in England, Scotland and Wales.

Ministers have agreed to let men who have not had sex with another man in the past 12 months to donate from November.

In the UK, a lifetime ban was introduced in the early 1980s as a response to the Aids epidemic and the lack of adequate HIV tests.

Source

Good, good.

I had an invitation to a drive for the 31st, but forgot I had a prior appointment. :(

I'm terrified by it. I have friends who come back from those feeling lightheaded same with my dad. Plus, the stories he talks about, how they don't put the needle correctly and have to re do it.

I hate needle's, and plus, don't they have you laying in a hospital bed sort of thing watching something on tv? I absolutely hate hospital beds.

Heh, lightheaded. I saw some people faint while giving blood, but all I feel is a bit hungry afterwards (which is promptly solved by being fed by the red cross :D).

Yeah I've fainted before; but that was my own fault. I was dehydrated and rushed there as I'd lost track of time. However they've never misplaced the needle in me (yeah only 6 donations, but my dad's had around 60 and reports of only once or twice where he started bleeding out or it hurt.

Really though; go along with one of your mates; dunno how it works in the USA but in the UK you're fine to go and sit next to a friend/family member's bed to watch before you think about donating yourself. Dispell any rumours and go and see for yourself what exactly goes on. I donate in a church hall, so its nothing like a hospital apart from the doctors, and the beds aren't proper hospital beds. And just don't think about the needle going into your arm, think about it going into the arm of the injured guy who is about to get your blood. :)

I'm terrified by it. I have friends who come back from those feeling lightheaded same with my dad. Plus, the stories he talks about, how they don't put the needle correctly and have to re do it.

I hate needle's, and plus, don't they have you laying in a hospital bed sort of thing watching something on tv? I absolutely hate hospital beds.

the main reason you would feel lightheaded afterwards is if you haven't drank enough water or had a meal beforehand. The body takes a few weeks to replace the red blood cells but begins replacing the lost volume immediately, so you need to drink a lot or you become dehydrated easily and the main symptom of that is lightheadedness.

The needle is not bad at all, what hurts much much worse is when they rip off the sticky tape which holds the transfer pipe in place on your arm.

^ The truth hath been spoken. THE most painful bit is the tape pulling up hairs. And I'm not even very hairy!

Here they don't tape it to your arm, but strap it. It holds just fine. The thing that hurts the most, though, is the little needle gun they use to prick your finger to get a blood sample for hemoglobin and other tests before you're cleared through (the finger-tip has a power of magnitude more nerve endings than the inside of your elbow). >_<

The thing that hurts the most, though, is the little needle gun they use to prick your finger to get a blood sample for hemoglobin...
THIS!

I don't know if I mentioned this here or not, but the quality of the blood donation experience depends a lot on the phlebotomist. I won't give to the Red Cross anymore because their people were so bad at finding my veins and observing me properly. After 3 consecutive botched attempts (not on the same day, 3 different attempts over the course of a year) I decided to stop giving to them.

Carter Blood Care, however, have never missed my veins or let me bleed too long. I have never passed out, become lightheaded, or been ill while giving blood with them or after (all of those things have happened with the Red Cross).

I know there are other blood donation organizations, and my company uses one that I've had good experiences with. It seems some employ better folks than others.

(Incidentally, I won't be giving blood anytime soon, with my health in its current state. I miss being able to.)