Do you have any food hang-ups?

I can't stand mushrooms, if they were the last thing to eat on the planet. If they started boiling 1 second ago in the downstairs kitchen I immediatly smell it and get close to vomiting. Seriously, I stormed into the house the other day and a whole fucking pot of them were boiling in the kitchen. The result was a very messy floor, since I barfed the second I waltzed in.

Seafood is also a bit iffy for me, but I'm starting to slowly adapt to calamari and squids, although only fried in breadcrumbs ( is there a term for this ? ).

No wonder you hate mushrooms if said person BOILS them. Mushrooms should never be boiled.

is there a term for this ?

Battered!

No wonder you hate mushrooms if said person BOILS them. Mushrooms should never be boiled.

+1

--

All this mushroom hate is so depressing. Mushrooms are the single most amazing ingredient on earth. So many wonderful ways in which to prepare them, so many wonderful dishes in which to include them :love:.

My biggest hangup of all is Milk. I love milk as an ingredient, I love chocolate milk, hot chocolate, dairy products of all sorts, but I cannot drink straight milk. It will come straight out, gag reflex. I don't understand why, I'm not lactose intolerant.

Apart from that, I can't handle Liver, Veal or Pork. Again, ready to puke.

I have a severe distaste for Tomato Juice, even though I love Tomato Soup. Go figure...

Carrot Juice is another food that will make me vomit.

I also have an aversion to putting anything live in my mouth. Squid, Snail, insect, you name it. Not going to happen.

Battered!

Technically, if food is coated with breadcrumbs and fried, it's considered "breaded".

I just remembered something else I'm kind of squeamish about - oysters.
Once, I was eating a bowl of oyster stew, and had almost finished until the edge of my spoon hit an oyster and it burst. That oyster made the same wet, popping sound that a zit makes when you pop it. Needless to say, I was done eating. And the only oysters I've had since were fried or grilled.

I love mushrooms!

I can't eat a sandwich (any type), if it's been stored in a paper or plastic bag - even inside a lunch box, for more then about half an hour.
I never ate lunch at school because of this. I'd watch mum make the sandwich in the morning, but by lunchtime the thought of eating it made me gag.
Yet, if I can walk into a deli and have one made on the spot, I'm fine.

Otherwise, I'm not a fan of brussels sprouts, oysters, lobster, crab, cabbage, broccoli.

My ex is allergic to mushrooms, legumes of any sort, doesn't like chicken (had an allergic reaction to grain fed chicken once), and HATES sultanas.
His mum told me that he ate quite a lot of them in one go, and then shat grapes for awhile. LOL.

Bloody papayas. I hate the damn things. Since a small child I've associated them with puke, you can't eat puke.

Thanks for the grammar nazi intervention, guys. =) And I have to correct myself, I can't stand the smell of them just cooking in water. Boiling obviously wouldn't leave much to eat...

And if them fungi are on my pizza, I reject it, since I always request to skip them. They just taste that horrible.

I can't stand broccoli - even the smell of it is enough to put me off of my food.

x2, my mother ALWAYS put it in food and usually so I have to dissect it to get it out, and she knows I hate it, she just doesn't care because it's 'healthy' :glare:

Also I hate peppers, those green/yellow/orange/red ones not chilli, it really makes me gag, I can't even stand the smell of them, ewwwwww.

Thanks for the grammar nazi intervention, guys. =) And I have to correct myself, I can't stand the smell of them just cooking in water. Boiling obviously wouldn't leave much to eat...

And if them fungi are on my pizza, I reject it, since I always request to skip them. They just taste that horrible.

Mushrooms should never be cooked in water either. :p

I'm not gonna get into that, I ain't an expert :p Fucking shit keeps destroying my life, but I can't reason with my parents, because they love them. So be it. It is nice though, when I gulp down spinache and they sit there with their horrible expressions on their faces.

Payback is a bitch. :D

My biggest hangup of all is Milk. I love milk as an ingredient, I love chocolate milk, hot chocolate, dairy products of all sorts, but I cannot drink straight milk. It will come straight out, gag reflex. I don't understand why, I'm not lactose intolerant.

I'm the same, no idea why.

On the tomato topic, I love raw tomatos, but I hate cooked tomatos. They are fine if they are competely obliterated, such as in a sauce, but if there are chunks of tomatos I have to pick them out. There is something about the texture and taste of cooked tomatos that makes me gag.

For those who hate mushrooms, does it matter if they are fresh vs canned? I ask because, to me, they have completely different tastes and textures. For me, canned mushrooms on a pizza can be just as good as fresh...just a different taste.

For those who hate mushrooms, does it matter if they are fresh vs canned? I ask because, to me, they have completely different tastes and textures. For me, canned mushrooms on a pizza can be just as good as fresh...just a different taste.

Same shit, throat closes down like Fort Knox in fear of incoming crap.

Still not a big shellfish fan in most forms, when others go crazy at 'all you can eat crab legs' at the buffet, I usually say 'no thanks'

crab+legs+on+grill.jpg

Also other weird shellfish like abalone: no thanks

2886056100_4876d15e7b.jpg

And while squid I find tolerable (like calamari) octopus I'm still 'mmm no...' about

1_2.jpg

Having said that I love most sushi and even am fond of well made sea urchin roe

784a25237f2f4c1b_m.jpg

Sushi. I am too Midwest to even fathom eating that.

Sushi. I am too Midwest to even fathom eating that.

we all have obstacles to overcome... you can do it Jay I believe in you.

i pretty much eat everything i am presented with. luckily when i was younger, my mom annoyed me so much when i didn't want to eat something ("but you haven't had any of this for 100000years, how can you know you don't like it?") that i am now pretty much open to try everything.
most of the stuff edkwon posted above i haven't tried and wouldn't probably order at a restaurant, but if presented with it i'd still probably try it. also, i'm with raptorjesus, although i wouldn't go as far as to call you raging vaginas :lol: since i don't have encountered any problems with food so far, i can't even imagine the situation of food making me gag :?
and sushi: awesome, go try it sometime (but not some stupid packed stuff from the supermarket -.-) just start simple. i didn't think i'd like it until the then GF made me try, it was great :thumbsup:

+another to the mushroom hate. They're just so godawful. I also can't stand celery, I don't know why, it's just... ew. That's about it though. I had some tripe last time I had chinese and it actually tasted pretty good, but the texture was gross so I can't really say that I did or didn't like it, it's neutral - stomach isn't actually food though, so I don't think that counts.

It's funny though because my mom won't eat any indian type food or seafood, meanwhile I think Indian food is awesome and sea critters are delicous (fishy fish is the best, white fish is just boring)

Lots of mushroom hate here. For me, I love mushrooms, but my wife hates them, so I don't cook em too often. My only real hangups are melon, can't stand the taste of them. Add 1 piece of melon to a fruit salad, and it's ruined for me. The only melon I can kinda stand is watermelon, since it has no taste.
Another one for me is caraway, although it's not as bad anymore as it used to be. As a kid that stuff (and cumin to a lesser extent) made me really nauseous, and gave me huge headaches. Now I actually like the taste (and smell <3) of cumin and can handle caraway in small quantities.