Do you skip 'star in reasonably-priced car' segment when watching Top Gear?

Do you skip 'star in reasonably-priced car' segment when watching Top Gear?

• YES

Votes: 169 43.4%
  • NO

Votes: 220 56.6%

• Total voters
In the BBCA edits for S6, there were some eps where they left out SIARPC (6x02 (Jack Dee), 6x06 (David Dimbleby), Mark Webber in 6x10). And, from what I've been able to tell, in other series, SIARPC is cut fairly considerably; and the car reviews are mostly left alone (the only one I can think of that was dropped completely was James's review of the Renault Clio from 7x04 -- the one where he races the biker in Portugal). It's the news that gets cut out completely most of the time, along with anything irrelevant (TG survey results (7x01), Greatest Driving Song (all of S6)).

Plus, I don't think Wilman is responsible for our edits. It's BBC Worldwide, isn't it? Or maybe even BBCA themselves?
Why on earth would they leave out Webber? That's one of the ones I'd actually want to watch. :cry:

I have NFI why they left out Mark Webber -- probably to make sure they had enough time to air as much of the other stuff as possible. And his was a good one, too. :nod: The editing ways of BBCA are a mystery.

It depends on the guest really, if its someone i don't care about i skip.

In old episodes when re watching i always skip though.

I guess I am the exception, I like the SIARPC segment. I usually watch each episode in its entirety twice within the first 24 hours. and will also watch some classic episodes in full when there is no new TG.

I used to love the Stig segments and that is kinda dying for me with the split screen view. I just cant get into it, too busy for me, I dont know what to watch on the screen lol

I always watch it the first time. Like was said previously, I may not know who they are, but sometimes the unknowns are the most interesting. For instance, Sanjeev Bhaskar was a complete revelation. Loved his segment. It was one of the funniest interviews I'd seen.

On the other hand, those who fall a bit flat will be skipped the next viewing, regardless of how famous they are. It all just depends on the person.

I always watch them, even when re-watching an episode... except if it's someone I can't stand.... not gonna name names. Although I have lived in the UK I still didn't know who half of the guests were. But they're usually more fun than the celebs you know well.

Depends i guess... you don't usually know how it's going to turn out till the interview starts.

The first time I watch a TG ep I watch the star segment, if I like it, I'll watch it again, if not I skip it...

I usually don't watch unless I have heard of the person because I am from the U.S. I also don't watch it more then once regardless of who it is. I just think that the time could be put to better use....such as more of the three of them cocking about :D

I don't watch even when I know who it is. I can't stand talk shows, and I want more cars.

I haven't voted because it's not a "yes" or "no" question.

I sometimes skip it if I don't really care for the star, and vice-versa, sometimes I change my mind through the episode. The one with Parkinson was an example of the latter, I hadn't planned on watching it and then the introduction made me laugh, so I watched it.

What bothers me the most about SIARPC is that the BBC America episodes leave that segment intact but cut out the news!

I used to watch it, every episode, but it got old. When they started having on guests that they'd had on before or when the guest was boring... I started skipping it. Now I pretty much skip it every time. I did watch Micheal Sheen, though, because I'm very familiar with his work and he was wearing shoes the same as mine. I found him to be affable and entertaining and I liked the interview and in this case it didn't seem to matter that he does not have a huge interest in cars. I think they should have shown a picture of a Series II or Series III XJ when he mentioned he wanted an old Jaguar, then at least they would have been talking about cars for one or two more seconds. And honestly, who would complain about having to see a picture of a nice Series II XJ?

Anyway, at first it was mostly petrolheads who are friends of Clarkson like Harry Enfield, Steve Coogan and Jay Kay. Then it was celebrities who aren't necessarily into cars but still own nice ones or some shit or, at the very least, they were well-known, interesting, engaging people. My favourite guest of all time was Terry Wogan. He was great.

Now it's mostly someone boring. I remember a huge, giant, horse of a man who I think was a rugby player. No doubt a fine rugby player indeed. But he was seriously fucking boring. A lot of the guests now are just not interesting people to sit and listen to. And it seems as though now, they are not there because they love cars or because Clarkson is friends with them and made them do it as a favour to him but rather because they have a new book or CD or movie coming out and their agent has booked them on Top Gear to promote it. Or their fucking publicist or some shit, I don't know how these things work.

So yeah, nah, I almost always skip it now.

Wait a minute actually, I watched it when Eric Bana was on, too because I know he's into cars... But I didn't think his interview was all that great. I liked the bit where he called 3rd gear a "slut" because I haven't heard that word used in that sort of context in ages and I'm going to start using it again. I don't know how common that usage is elsewhere. I think maybe it's a Victorian thing. Anything that's being a pain in the ass and not cooperating with you is a slut, usually a fucking slut. Trying to get something big, heavy and awkward into the boot of your car? Simply yell "Come on, ya fuckin' slut!" at it and feel the frustration melt away.

But anyway, there should be more than two choices for the poll, I think, because I skip it about... Oh, I dunno... 80% of the time, now?

Last edited:
i watch it as it is part of the whole show. it gives me a chance to learn about other people (sometimes even other countries) I have to admitt, due to some of the guests i've looked them up on IMDB and watched movies to learn more about them, so i feel it has broadened my life to some extent.

on the other hand, when i re-watch, i skip maybe 50% of the guests later on as i remember them being interesting or not.

but again, as it's part of the show it helps everything flow together as a whole.

besides, why fast forward it, it's the perfect length to give you time to go to the kitchen and get back just in time to see the finish of the lap and see their time.

And it seems as though now, they are not there because they love cars or because Clarkson is friends with them and made them do it as a favour to him but rather because they have a new book or CD or movie coming out and their agent has booked them on Top Gear to promote it. Or their fucking publicist or some shit, I don't know how these things work.

I'm willing to bet most of the guests for Series 12 would not have done TG if Jonathan Ross didn't get into hot water. (I think Enfield would've come back anyway (his main reason was self-redemption after his first appearance, not necessarily promoting anything), and maybe Kevin McCloud would've appeared; but the others? Dunno.)

Wait a minute actually, I watched it when Eric Bana was on, too because I know he's into cars... But I didn't think his interview was all that great.

I think a lot of us thought Jay Leno would be great; but it didn't turn out to be that way. Some thought he wasn't a good interviewee; others (myself included) thought the interview was just way too short. For someone who is a massive petrolhead and has such a fantastic collection of cars, they could've gone on forever!

On the other hand, you'll have someone like Sienna Miller. Clearly she was there to plug her appearance in G.I. Joe; but -- for me, anyway -- she turned out to be surprisingly good.

Meanwhile...

I liked the bit where he called 3rd gear a "slut" because I haven't heard that word used in that sort of context in ages and I'm going to start using it again. I don't know how common that usage is elsewhere. I think maybe it's a Victorian thing. Anything that's being a pain in the ass and not cooperating with you is a slut, usually a fucking slut. Trying to get something big, heavy and awkward into the boot of your car? Simply yell "Come on, ya fuckin' slut!" at it and feel the frustration melt away.

I don't think I've heard it in that context before. If something's a serious pain in the ass, we in the States would call it just that: a pain in the ass. Calling it "a fuckin' slut" sounds a hell of a lot more interesting, though.

I don't skip it, but, depending on the star, I sometimes don't bother paying attention.

I watch SIARPC, even though I am Australian.

Our public broadcaster down here does 'British' like the commercial television stations do the 'American' content, so I have come across alot of the celebs they have on.

The ladies generally seem to love this segment so fellers if you're half way through a date, watching a recorded episode of TG, don't fast foward or skip this segment if you want to gain brownie points for the post programme warmdown. ;)

If I'm watching it live then I wont skip, if watching on iplayer will normally skip it. A lot depends on who is being interviewed, if its actually someone interesting then I will watch it. If its someone whos famous for no real reason, just on to sell their latest book, or someone I've never heard of I tend to skip. (I'm English but I really dont give a .... about this celebrity crazed culture, and as such havent a clue who half the guests are...)