Do you think YOU can drive in the UK?

46 out of 50, pleased with that, although they didn't have theory tests when I sat my test.

I was more wondering what constitutes a "good" score? I got a 1 on one video and a 3 on another.

Ah right, the more points the better. The later you click the less points you get.

IIRC in the real test each video contains 3 hazards and you can get 5 points for each hazard, although I could be wrong...

It could be interesting to know how the level crossing work though.

Yeah, how does that work in the UK? Here the lights flash all the time, and they turn red when train is approaching. Like this.

Last edited:
Yeah, how does that work in the UK? Here the lights flash all the time, and they turn red when train is approaching. Like this.

Hope you don't mind an embedded video in this thread.

I'd just screw it and get an International Driving Permit. I'm American I don't need to follow your country's rules. I plan on driving around the U.K. with a Ford F350 and a bottle of Jack Danial's, and probably a shot gun.

36/50. I fail!

The only level crossing near me has a man who comes and shuts the gates and then opens them. It has no flashing lights at all.

What about when the man is off work? Are there more men there to pick up the slack? Sounds extremely expensive and inefficient.

How complicated... even ze Germans believe a flashing red light is sufficient.

https://pic.armedcats.net/n/na/narf/2010/09/13/800px-Bahnuebergang_beschrankt_BLA_N-Bahn.jpg
White flashing light when clear is superior, you just go through and you won't be hit by a train. If the white is not flashing, the signals may be broken and you have to pass carefully, which is silly and causes congestion.

Last edited:
I'd just screw it and get an International Driving Permit. I'm American I don't need to follow your country's rules. I plan on driving around the U.K. with a Ford F350 and a bottle of Jack Danial's, and probably a shot gun.

:rofl: :rofl:

Cops can't stop you anyway, they have diesel astra's wich they cant afford to wreck and no guns.......

White flashing light when clear is superior, you just go through and you won't be hit by a train. If the white is not flashing, the signals may be broken and you have to pass carefully, which is silly and causes congestion.

What if the system turning off the white light is broken? Then you won't pay attention to the tracks (which you are required over here when approaching a level crossing) and get hit.

DUI (Driving under the influence) is taken very seriously here, and none of that walking up a white line nonsense either - I do not advise driving Drunk anywhere (its dangerous - not so much to you and your motor as far as I am concerned you want to kill yourself and/or smash you car up go ahead, but to your passengers and other road users) and especially not here (Steep legal penalties).

Blood alcohol is 80 mgs/lt btw about two to three pints of beer if you are a big bloke and have eaten, I really really do not want them to lower it and they are just itching to prove how European they are to 50 or even 0 - bloody silly..

Blood alcohol is 80 mgs/lt btw about two to three pints of beer if you are a big bloke and have eaten, I really really do not want them to lower it and they are just itching to prove how European they are to 50 or even 0 - bloody silly..

.08g/l is quite a harsh limit, over here you're allowed up to .5g/l :blink:

^ usual way of stating blood alcohol levels is in g% (ie: grams per 100 ml) - a silly non-SI unit for people who haven't heard of Avogadro.

What if the system turning off the white light is broken? Then you won't pay attention to the tracks (which you are required over here when approaching a level crossing) and get hit.

If the white light is broken, you'll notice the white light isnt flashing. If the lights only flashed when a train was coming, you'll have no idea if the lights are working or not.

Fail.
42 out of 50.
I have no clue about speed of trailers and arm gestures in the uk.....

As far as hand signals go this may help: in the U.K. two fingers in the U.S. one.

//Yes I am being subtle again

Seems like 42 is the magic number. Same as many, no idea about trailer speed limits or speed limits period, and those hand signals are just weird. There are few hand signals we use around here and they much more accurately convey the message or intent.

If the white light is broken, you'll notice the white light isnt flashing. If the lights only flashed when a train was coming, you'll have no idea if the lights are working or not.

That's why in my scenario the white light remains intact, but the system turning it off is broken. You'd approach the level crossing knowing there is no train when you get hit.