Doctor Who

It was a great episode, I actually really liked Smith and love his new companion for obvious reasons, however...

...I know Moffat really likes his 'fear through repetition' thing, and it's obviously something he can do really, really well (The 'are you my mummy?'/ 'Don't blink' episodes he did being excellent examples of him doing it right) but whatever the hell that eyeball guard thing kept announcing over and over again really fucking annoyed me rather than unnerved me like the usual. I couldn't even quite make out what it was he was saying.

One last thing I forgot to mention about the episode: some awesome incidental music in there.

[YOUTUBE]JvYVf6icE6M[/YOUTUBE]

The bass just sounds brilliant.

Doo do doo, do do dodo!!

actually theres lots of the new music that i really like, the new Doctors theme that gets played when Matt Smith walks up to the screen and say "Hello, I'm the Doctor." This is one soundtrack i really hope they release soon.

I really thought I was going to hate Smith, but I kinda like him and am sure I will grow to like him much more, and nothing bad could be said about that lovely sidekick. The Tardis exterior is way too blue now, the new logo is stupid, and the new theme music is stupid and completely non-dramatic. The anal bead makeover for the interior of the Tardis is fine.

EDIT: So that my post has at least a tiny bit of substance, I really enjoyed the episode and am very much looking forward to the rest of the season.

Last edited:
I stayed up late Saturday night to let it finish downloading (funnily enough, I'd seen ads for it earlier..on the sides of buses in New York City.)

Well worth the lost sleep. For one thing, I honestly think Matt Smith might just be a bit more attractive than Tennant. Shocking, but true...

Anyway, onto things that really matter, I do agree completely with Donington about <<REDACTED>>. Quite the nuisance. However...

I enjoyed this episode a lot, but I felt a bit like there was maybe too much exposition in it. Riight up until that scene where the Doctor's staring the big eye thingy in the..er, eye and asks if Earth is protected. Fucking brilliant.

As for the 'coming soon' reel - Looks great, with one little problem. British-built Daleks? Come on, how could THAT possibly go wrong?

Daleks: EXTERMINA--- *whrrr*
Smoke starts to emerge from the Daleks
Amy: Doctor, what's happened? Why are all those red lights blinking?
Doctor: They're British...the smoke's come out of the wiring...Joseph Lucas strikes again!

I too liked the new doctor and his companion. I'm looking forward to how this goes on ...

Did he mean in terms of looks? That IS blasphemy.

I think we're all going to warm up to Amy, just like everyone did with Donna Noble.

You stole my avvie!!!!! :p

But anyway, can't wat to see this ep, everyody seems to be raving about it wherever I look! (except Gallifrey Base, but that's only a small group of people on there who seem to hate everything :lol:)

Finally saw the ep, thought it was great. Matt Smith is definitely carrying the mantle of the Doctor at full momentum. Not sure why some ppl found Karen Gillan bland. So glad moffat is the showrunner now, it shows right off the bat.

Whats wrong with a bland attractive girl, arent we all sick of the loudmouth, less than stellar (Appearence-wise) ones of Billie Piper and Cathrine tate? Or are you not allowed to be a non-abrasive female character on television without being seen as an airheaded stepford wife?

PLUS she hasnt been able to get past the "OOO, doctor" stage, she still has plenty of time for sass yet.

Last edited:
Whats wrong with a bland attractive girl, arent we all sick of the loudmouth, less than stellar (Appearence-wise) ones of Billie Piper and Cathrine tate? Or are you not allowed to be a non-abrasive female character on television without being seen as an airheaded stepford wife?

PLUS she hasnt been able to get past the "OOO, doctor" stage, she still has plenty of time for sass yet.

I think Billie Piper is gorgeous, but overall I really don't think you're wrong. As long as she can act well, I see no reason why what's-her-face can't be a great sidekick.

Billie was ok, her time as a autotune-singing celebrity idol made her physically less attractive to me. Its my own personal disease. Young scottish (Im talking 18-25, not the little kid part of the episode. Gotta keep my pedo bases covered) redheads are infinately more attractive than has been celebrity fake blondes with bad teeth :)

Holy crap I can't believe I didn't notice you had the same avvie! I'm off to find a new one now...

very tl;dr (that's what I get for being ill :() but honestly don't mind. Your new one is pretty awesome though :)

4-ish days til I can watch the 1st (and second if I have it by then) ep though!!!!!!!! :D

People don't like the new assistant?
I found myself saying "oh damn, she is pretty" over and over out loud while watching the ep like a complete imbecile. Good that nobody was around...

^ i was told numerous times to close my mouth because i was drooling so much.

over in Gallifrey Base (or the Dr Who Loony bin as i've taken to calling it). One of the strongest complaints is that they thought the younger Amy Pond would have made a far better Companion than the older Companion, with one stating that the younger girl was a better actress than Karen Gillan. While i really enjoyed the banter between the younger Amy and the newly regenerated Doctor. i somehow can't see him taking on a 10 year old girl as a Companion since the Doctor's adventures in the TARDIS aren't exactly child safe. On top of that i can imagine the lunatic fringe of the NSPCA and other Child agencies would complain about it as well.

way i see it, its great to see a Doctor's assistant who's not only a beautiful piece of eye candy but can also act as well. The banter between Karen & Matt just after running away from the alien is the best example here.

Tonight's episode was bloody good, as well.

The CGI was mostly vastly improved, with the exception of the tentacles, which oddly they can't seem to get right.
Acting was fantastic, and Karen Gillam is still gorgeous (especially when soaked through).

Next week's episode looks absolutely fantastic :D

Completely agree with you there teeb. That episode was great sci-fi story-telling.
The concept of a Great Britiain floating in space on the back a giant Space whale might have seemed far-fetched but if Terry Pratchett can do it, why not Dr Who. I especially liked it when Amy enquired what happened to the scottish. I liked the build up to next weeks episode kicking off in tonights episode. Next week looks to be a even better episode, Daleks, Winston Churchill and Spitfire's in Space.
Of course, it is worth noting that Karen Gillan is still bloody gorgeous and she even gets a hug from the Doctor! Never have i wanted to re-live my 10 year old dream of being the Doctor before!

On another note, something that came to me while watching last weeks episode but was more apparent in this episode is that Matt Smith's Doctor is reminding me more and more of William Hartnell's Doctor. That kind of authoritive presence and gives a good telling off.

That was some fine TV right there.

I might have missed something, but I still don't understand how Karen Gillian sent that message to herself on the video screen. I hope it'll be explained in the coming episodes. Maybe it's the new "badwolf"?

That was some fine TV right there.

I might have missed something, but I still don't understand how Karen Gillian sent that message to herself on the video screen. I hope it'll be explained in the coming episodes. Maybe it's the new "badwolf"?

(highlight to read)

In between the "forget" and "protest" buttons was a big rectangular one marked "record". Presumably so people could have it explained to them why they chose to forget.

Plus she was in there for 20 minutes.