Doctor Who

BBC's merch arm can't lose the screwdriver, ever.

Fair point. Although I have been waiting for an email promoting "official" Doctor Who Ray Bans....

On an unrelated note
Can anyone explain the Doctor/Missy hybrid thingy to me, please?

I can't. It was all a bit weird. I even watched the last episode again to see if I could make sense of it.

Fair point. Although I have been waiting for an email promoting "official" Doctor Who Ray Bans....

I'd like to think that the fans are too smart to fall for that. There's no novelty at all, not even something that lights up.

On an unrelated note
Can anyone explain the Doctor/Missy hybrid thingy to me, please?

The way I understood it, if the Doctor were to keep running sort-of-unchecked with Clara as his companion, even if she was his moral compass, the more they were together as Doctor/companion the more her personality would morph into the Doctor's. This would in turn destroy the Doctor's morality-based limitations, and... wait, I'm sort of lost myself at this point. I guess a Doctor with no real moral compass to speak of would indeed go the way of Gallifreyan domination.

Missy comes into it because she brought those two together. The bossy control freak (Clara) with the man that never really listens to control (the Doctor).

This was one brilliant, brilliant Christmas Special! I don't know when I last enjoyed an episode of Doctor Who so much. I liked the humor (Piano dropping! Jaws reference! Can't shoot the head in the face! That's my girl!, Thieves with lots of time, the punchline just came coming and coming), but I also really enjoyed to see a glimpse of River Song's everyday life as an amoral Indy Jones, her suffering as the girl who tries to love a time traveller with too much on his mind and the heart-wrenching monologue that came from it. In fact, River's monologue about The Doctor might just be the best bit of writing in TV I've seen all year.
Even the super mega happy ending in all it's sappiness really touched me. Can't we have a River Song spinoff...

8/10.

Over the last few weeks, I finally found the time and motivation to watch Season 9. And boy, was I disappointed. Most episodes left me completely cold, despite nice additions like Daleks and Missy. And Maisie Williams fell completely flat in her first appearance - this was just Arya in a different setting. She got better into this different character in the final trilogy though (but I kept looking for a third eye on the raven ;)).

So, after eight episodes somewhere between bad and just meh, I think the final trilogy was actually good. And as a result of that story, we now could have what is essentially a pair of female Captain Jack Harknesses (completely different characters of course, but they are immortal time-travellers). Permanently written out, hm? Yeah right. I won't be surprised if Clara and/or Me appear again at a later time.
Also, Me is by now the oldest character. The Doctor didn't live through 4.5 billion years, he was reset every couple of days in "Heaven Sent". She, however, did. It would be a waste not to use that.

And then, the Christmas special. For me, too, it had been a long time since I laughed because a Doctor Who episode was so much plain fun. :)

Also, Me is by now the oldest character. The Doctor didn't live through 4.5 billion years, he was reset every couple of days in "Heaven Sent". She, however, did. It would be a waste not to use that.

I feel like the wrote a get-out in to that by her forgetting everything in her past life, not sure what that means though.

He forgot her. She didn't forget him.

He forgot her. She didn't forget him.

I mean Me forgetting her past and having to refer to her diaries. Not sure what they could do with her other than have her pop up at random times in history and they've done that already.

To be frank I am more shocked to read (or realize) that there apparently will be no Doctor Who for all of 2016, ignoring the Christmas Special?! That fucking sucks.

To be honest I don't think the show has benefitted that much from having him running the whole gig. It certainly had a negative effect on the quality of his writing in my opinion. If you look back at all of the episodes he ever wrote all of the really good ones happened before he took over the whole show. He has always been great at writing stories which throw you a massive curveball, right back to when he created the Press Gang 25 years ago, but that has largely vanished since he took on the extra workload.

No Who in 2016 sucks though.

New Sherlock is expected Jan 2017. The output isn't so much about the writing and far more to do with the fact that the increase popularity of the two leads makes it harder to schedule filming.

It should be interesting to see how the show changes. Wonder if Capaldi will be leaving at the same time as Moffat. I know there is some concern about Chibnall taking over, as some of his DW/Torchwood eps haven't been the greatest, but I've liked most of his stuff and I loved the first series of Broadchurch.

Agree that it is a shame we've got no new Doctor Who this year, though.

2009 was a Who free year save for a few specials and the Christmas episode, that wasn't much fun. I hope we at least get the same and don't have to wait another 11 months.

Please don't let it be a dude or some middle-aged Doris for the sake of political correctness.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36104565

I know Grip will berate me for saying this but the Doctor is 007 for nerds. We want to be the Doctor and we want the companion to reflect ourr geeky, unrequited desires. I'm fine with that.
It is the whole point of fiction and fantasy. They should transport us to where we dream of being, not reflect the drudgery of our own humdrum existence.