Doctor Who

I'm kind of with thomas on this one. It's showing potential but it's like listening to Nessun Dorma performed by a castrato when you really want to hear it done by Placido Domingo or driving a Ring lap in a base model Polo instead of a Golf R32.

I'm finding that the stories have been more entertaining this series, than they have since the 50th anniversary special. It's like the writers can focus a little more on the story, rather than having to spend all of their time explaining to us that a character has certain personality traits (as opposed to just writing the character to display said traits).

I'm growing increasingly frustrated with the writing. Last episode, Knock Knock for example (and no I'm not using spoiler tags - you've had time enough :p ) we had a malevolent entity but no real menace - the villain was simply "misunderstood" and those who fell victim to it were, incredibly, brought back unharmed.

Similar happened with Thin Ice the monster was the "victim" and we had some lame, thinly-veiled eco-message rammed down our throats.

If I want politically correct leftist propaganda I can read The Guardian - when I watch Doctor Who I want suspense and entertainment.

Well, wasn't the Atmos systems in the sontarin episodes a small jab at fossil fuel pollution? It's not the first time we've had that shit pushed into a fantasy show.

All of Star Trek was/is commie propaganda if you want to look at it this way. Or look at basically all Charlton Heston films from the 70s with their anti-war pro-eco messages (Planet of the Apes, Soilent Green, Omega Man...) The "message movie" component not the problem.

The problem with Battlefield Earth wasn't the Scientology message either: The problem with Battlefield Earth was the weak storytelling. And while I still think these season is not as bad as some of the stuff we've had to deal before, the last episode really was rather weak in that department.

I don't mind an eco or peaceful message in sci-fi - Silent Running was basically one whole "Save Gaia" poster and yet is still a great film - but I have the ever increasing sense that Doctor Who is being used by the BBC as an exercise in box-ticking, quota-filling.

So you think they want us to vote Corbyn after the last episode?

I doubt it. The BBC are in the Tories' pockets - their coverage of those opposed to Brexit after the vote for instance was little to none.

The glasses haters have been served this week!:lol:

I laughed when the pope went in the apartment, but except for that it was an ordinary episode.

Last edited:
The glasses haters have been served this week!:lol:

I got about 10 minutes in before realising we were back to fancy sunglasses again. :lol:

I feel like this could've been done a lot better, there's very little in the episode that would make me go back and watch it again. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next week, not sure who this new enemy is but we haven't had the usual dose of classic DW enemy yet this season.

I liked the Missy backstory (even if I had already guessed that she's in the vault) and I think it was a worthy setup for a multi-episode arc hopefully featuring CybermenDaleks.

Started marathoning the show. Began at the 9th Doctor. Just watched 10 Downing St blow up.

I want to know what the reaction to the regenerations and changes in actor will be. I wonder if you can still get attached enough to your favourite to be annoyed when he's gone. Also which companion will be his favourite. :p

So first thing is that I feel like I should've started earlier than the Ninth Doctor. Just to get some history on the Time War and some of the other stories that were mentioned in the alien museum.

Also what is the significance of Bad Wolf? I've noticed it twice now, once spray painted on the TARDIS and Henry van Statten's helicopter used it as a call sign.

There is no history on the Time War before the show was resurrected in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston as the 9th Doctor. Although it was fought through-out time and space, in the Doctor's personal timeline it occurred before the 9th Doctor, but after the only appearance of the 8th Doctor (Paul McGann) in the 1996 film. There is no mention of it in the older series. The references to "Bad Wolf" are also new.

There is no history on the Time War before the show was resurrected in 2005 with Christopher Eccleston as the 9th Doctor. Although it was fought through-out time and space, in the Doctor's personal timeline it occurred before the 9th Doctor, but after the only appearance of the 8th Doctor (Paul McGann) in the 1996 film. There is no mention of it in the older series. The references to "Bad Wolf" are also new.

Gotchya. Is there any history with Daleks or Cybermen or anything worth catching up on?