Doctor Who

Doctor Who

Daleks and Cybermen are reoccurring villains as far as I can tell. Time war was against the daleks and supposedly they lost but, they're locked in time fighting the war. That's how I understand it.

Bad Wolf will make itself known with the tenth doctor and I believe has everything to do with Rose. Has in part to do with what Rose does in the very last episode of 9th Doctor's appearance.

There is a lot of previous Cybermen and Darlek stuff, but nothing you need to know to watch the new series. It was designed to introduce a new generation to Doctor Who, so it doesn't presuppose any knowledge on the part of the viewer. Besides, it has a built-in exposition mechanism. Anything that the audience needs to know also has to be explained on-screen to the Doctor's companion.

The final two-parter was Moffat and Capaldi leaving with a bang. While some of the most annoying negative Moffat-era traits (especially the "love conquers all" happy ending) are on full display as well, there was so much that was good about it.
I really liked the two Masters killing each other, I liked how there was a degree of closure for everyone except The Doctor, I liked how "old school" and modern Cybermen were brought together, I liked the ridiculously complex mechanics of the setup. Then, the first Doctor coming in at the end... now I can't wait for Christmas! But what I loved most was the perspective change between Bill's perspective and how others perceive her in the Cyberman suit. Very effective and brilliant craftsmenship.

The only mildly annoying thing was water girl coming back to save Bill from Cyber(wo)mandom. Many things are wrong with it. Firstly and mostly the unwillingness to go for the downer ending. I know it's a kid's show, but with the body horror of the hospital sequences earlier, we have wandered so far out of child-friendly territory that this can hardly be used as a justification. Then, even if true love can even get you out of a Cyberman suit, we would have needed some more time with puddle girl and Bill to really establish their connection. Third, the fact that it nevertheless sorta kinda works as closure for Bill makes ist super-annoying that it basically is a recycle of the closure moment of Clara that didn't work at all.

Last edited:
On series 4 episode 3, Donna Noble is really eating at my nerves, but looking forward to how Rose comes back into the story.

On series 4 episode 3, Donna Noble is really eating at my nerves, but looking forward to how Rose comes back into the story.

That episode is proper creepy.

Rose and Donna were great. Couldn't stand the chick in the middle. Her name escapes me.

That episode is proper creepy.

Rose and Donna were great. Couldn't stand the chick in the middle. Her name escapes me.

Martha. So far I prefer her to Donna.

Donna may have been annoying, but she was the best companion for the Doctor in my opinion. She stood up to him, called him on his bullshit and pricked his conscience when necessary. She wasn't just a starstruck puppy mindlessly following him around the space-time continuum.

Donna's definitely my favourite companion from the "New Who" era, didn't expect that to happen after Runaway Bride, but she really improved once given a full series. Much preferred her to the lovestruck Rose & Martha. I liked Rory & Amy (but felt it greatly improved when they brought in Rory full time). Didn't care for Clara, really liked Bill & Nardole.

Can't stand Catherine Tate and I remember almost nothing from that series. By far my best memories of recent Who episodes are from the episodes with Matt Smith and Amy.

Not that much of a fan of Donna, probably due to her accent her "in your face" attitude. But her run produced some of the best story arcs. The songs of freedom and captivity are beautiful.

If you really want to. But it isn't necessary to watch either of those shows at all to watch and understand Doctor Who.

I'll probably go back and and watch those later. I'm finishing Journey's End right now. Fantastic story line.

EDIT: Just finished the episode. Holy shit right in the feels.

Last edited:
If you really want to. But it isn't necessary to watch either of those shows at all to watch and understand Doctor Who.

Agreed, while handy, it isn't necessary to watch all of the spin offs to understand the main show. You just might not understand the odd joke/comment.

(even if I wanted to try sitting through all of the shows, I don't think I could sit through Torchwood's "Miracle Day" again...)

I could not even bear "Miracle Day" on first watching. Think I made it to Episode two or three.

"Miracle Day" was ok for a generic sci-fi show, but it did not feel like Torchwood. And the story could have been told in 2-3 fewer days, easily.

You are being too generous :)