Dodge Charger Daytona SRT EV

GRtak

Forum Addict
An electric coupe/hatchback with a transmission, shift lever, and a 126db "exhaust".

Wat?

This. The whole thing reads like it's straight up satire or something...
Also it reads like they actually put a physical exhaust system somewhere, with pipes and shit, rather than just a speaker. The whole transmission thing also sounds fake as hell - sure you can just put a transmission on an EV (see taycan or a bunch of retrofits that usually all run in 3rd gear always), but I somehow read this as a way to artificially create power and load shift behavior without actually changing the ratios at all.
This really is close to the dumbest EV i've ever seen...

I get the concept. But it has horrendous execution.

The concept is this image:
[1920x1080] vtime=[0_29], take=[2022-08-18 00.58.52].jpeg

Unfortunately, in the midst of doing so they've presented a concept that's at the same time extremely generic in design yet somehow ugly (it's like they tried to do what Hyundai did with their electrified Pony and Grandeur and failed miserably) and confused in scope. They doesn't give ICE enthusiasts a reason for its existence (my first question about their exhaust was "okay, how do I turn it down/off"), nor does it give BEV enthusiasts anything they care about (Range? Charge Time? Acceleration numbers?)

but the most baffling thing is that exhaust. The transmission is fine, it's not like other manufacturers using it are hurting for efficiency. They just want you to feel as though you're driving around in an ICE car, which I can understand. whatever it is they're doing with that exhaust, it won't sound like an ICE car. It rather seems they just wanted "A sound". Better than pretending it makes noise with some speakers I guess.

Maybe the flaming they're getting will send Stellantis back to the drawing board on this one.

I've always wondered what it would sound like if you played an engine sound through a real exhaust on an EV converted car, it wouldn't have the pressure to be realistic because that's not how speakers work. It would need to be like a synchronised air horn system (like the dixie horns) combined with the sound.

I don't think we're going to find out here anyway.

Car looks good

Sound sample at 9:00: "It didn't sound like the sound of an electric motor. You can feel it."

View: https://youtu.be/63slKb4iGO8?t=510
Styling wise, I do really dig the front, and that "wing" is neat...though it does eliminate any chance of a "frunk". The back is boring, and the profile looks like...if you asked current-year Dodge to dry a 1st gen Audi A5 from memory, and then took it into photoshop and stretched it a bit.

I hope the shifting is like real with like real gearing or w/e - isn't that how Taycan works, albeit only with 2 speeds?

The exhaust sound thing i'll need to hear in person tbh. I feel like it could go either way but the recorded stuff in the event wasn't convincing. I was hoping it was real like motor noise but apparently it's not which is a bummer. Hopefully it's easily switched off.

Sound sample at 9:00: "It didn't sound like the sound of an electric motor. You can feel it."

Okay that's not...bad...provided that's not a speaker and you can turn it off. Still hate the design.

Unfortunately, in the midst of doing so they've presented a concept that's at the same time extremely generic in design yet somehow ugly (it's like they tried to do what Hyundai did with their electrified Pony and Grandeur and failed miserably) and confused in scope. They doesn't give ICE enthusiasts a reason for its existence (my first question about their exhaust was "okay, how do I turn it down/off"), nor does it give BEV enthusiasts anything they care about (Range? Charge Time? Acceleration numbers?)

0-60 in 2 sec they claim. Its interesting in a way but the product mix seems wrong

but the most baffling thing is that exhaust. The transmission is fine, it's not like other manufacturers using it are hurting for efficiency. They just want you to feel as though you're driving around in an ICE car, which I can understand. whatever it is they're doing with that exhaust, it won't sound like an ICE car. It rather seems they just wanted "A sound". Better than pretending it makes noise with some speakers I guess.

Maybe the flaming they're getting will send Stellantis back to the drawing board on this one.

I come to the same conclusion from from the opposed position. Why create this unnecessary shifting thing to evoke the past. The sound I get but once again why looking to the past. I think it could kind of be cool that its like a pipe organ but at high speeds would that still make that noise? The only requirement is the pedestrian noise which why not make it sound futuristic? At a high rate of speed i would want it silent.