Dodge Viper could bow out again in 2017

They would probably need to stop hand building so much of the cars as well, since I imagine that drives up production costs a bit.

But a new production line wouldn't be cheap either.

Which they could, by throwing an auto in it. 75% of 2015 stingrays were had with the slushbox.

I doubt they are making a $40,000+ profit on each Viper. They'd loose money on each one sold.

I'd be surprised if they made any profit at all.

I'd be surprised if they made any profit at all.

I am guessing here, but I suspect the low end model is pretty close to cost of production. The luxury model is probably where they expected the profit to come from.

1 - Slap a supercharger on the V10
2 - Sell it as the Dodge HellViper
3 - ???
4 - Profit !!! (hopefully)

1 - Slap a supercharger on the V10
2 - Sell it as the Dodge HellViper
3 - ???
4 - Profit !!! (hopefully)

It wouldn't sell. It would be pushed into an even higher market with stiff competition. Plus there are additional development costs to make a reliable and emissions compliment supercharged V10.

Last edited:
Yeah, I imagine the dawn of smaller forced inducted engines is going to kill the Viper sooner or later. And I keep thinking no one would accept a Viper if it's not powered by a V10. It would be like Porsche putting an I4 in a 911. Or Chevrolet putting a V6 in a Corvette. At that point it would be admirable to retire those old iconic names and come out with a new car to replace it.

Like maybe Dodge (or SRT or whatever) coming out with a new V8 powered sportscar, like that Copperhead concept from 1997.

dodge_copperhead_30.jpg

I always liked the look of that, although I'm not sure it's aged all that well. Good name though, shame they couldn't use it for a very stupid reason.

Other than the front end, I think it aged really well. Even the interior wasn't too bad. It could easily be updated to something more modern.

It looks like it needs to find it's teeth. :dunno:

Or, if they want to beef up Chrysler's luxury bonafides, they can fire up the Firepower concept again.
Chrysler_Firepower_Concept_-_fvl.jpg

Or, if they want to beef up Chrysler's luxury bonafides, they can fire up the Firepower concept again.
Chrysler_Firepower_Concept_-_fvl.jpg

The styling is outdated. Although a luxury Chrysler/Lancia based off the Viper may be a good idea.

Redesign the grill and lessen the chrome. It looks like an Aston Martin had sex with a Ferrari California

:(

...or, perhaps, they'll give us some mad short-based version of 16 Caddie? :evil: After all it's a Chrysler, they CAN absolutely NOT reduce number of cylinders.

...or, perhaps, they'll give us some mad short-based version of 16 Caddie? :evil: After all it's a Chrysler, they CAN absolutely NOT reduce number of cylinders.

Unless Marchionne's plan to merge with every single automaker comes to fruition, I don't see that happening.

Honestly I'm surprised it lasted as long as it had, it's not even a niche product its a niche in a niche product. It's essentially a road going race car with a price tag of a supercar, so most people who can afford one don't want it because its too rough and most people who want one can't afford it.

It's essentially a road going race car with a price tag of a supercar, so most people who can afford one don't want it because its too rough and most people who want one can't afford it.

That's what i love it for. (besides the drivetrain, of course) And that's why it's a shame they had to pull it off. It was the very last of "supercars", telling the world of nerds "hey, yeiwannariiide? -yougunnalearn2fuckinDrive".

That's what i love it for. (besides the drivetrain, of course) And that's why it's a shame they had to pull it off. It was the very last of "supercars", telling the world of nerds "hey, yeiwannariiide? -yougunnalearn2fuckinDrive".

No argument there, but sadly that's not the market these days, all new performance cars baby you to some extent. It's one of the reasons I consider 90's the best automotive decade, they didn't put nanys in cars yet.

Man this sucks every time I see this topic and this subject. The Viper is such a fucking COOL car. What a shame. If I won the lotto the Viper definitely would be one of my first car purchases.