Dodge Viper could bow out again in 2017

That has been the SS since the beginning. There was very little to distinguish the SS from the more basic vehicles, often they looked nearly identical to your dad's sedan. The GTO is another one that flew under the radar for much of its life; even when it was brought back by GM as a rebadged Holden, the GTO was a pretty plain looking car.

That has been the SS since the beginning. There was very little to distinguish the SS from the more basic vehicles, often they looked nearly identical to your dad's sedan. The GTO is another one that flew under the radar for much of its life; even when it was brought back by GM as a rebadged Holden, the GTO was a pretty plain looking car.

which is probably what killed it.

It was more about them not being able to meet new safety standards combined with a 30% increase in fuel costs starting in 2005/2006 over the previous few years.

GM is still making an SS sedan?

Just bought one a few weeks ago, chevy is also having a 20% off sale for the car this weekend.

https://forums.finalgear.com/post-your-car/2016-chevy-holden-ss-commodore-60928/

- - - Updated - - -

I stopped at a vinyl shop earlier in the SS, there was a customer and an employee standing out front getting measurements on the customers truck. I just happened to have it in performance mode when I started the car apparently the customer was not expecting to hear an LS3 burble to life due to him saying WTF is that thing :mrgreen:

Everyone that has been in the car has been very impressed, the fit and finish is not as nice as the XFR it replaced but you wouldn't expect it to be on a car that cost 30k less.

Well and what I saw from Jeremy's road test, it's easy to live with as a daily driver. The viper would fun for like two days.

Well and what I saw from Jeremy's road test, it's easy to live with as a daily driver. The viper would fun for like two days.

No one buys an R8 and worries about how it is to live with day to day, they likely have a more easier to drive car.

No one buys an R8 and worries about how it is to live with day to day, they likely have a more easier to drive car.

Same can be said for the Viper most are toys however I wouldn't be surprised if more Vipers are driven on a regular basis than R8s.

Speaking of ride quality I find it funny how many other performance/sports/toys are ignored for their ride quality and the Viper is hammered on it every single time.

My STi rode like crap on most roads and you never hear anyone complain about that.

Same can be said for the Viper most are toys however I wouldn't be surprised if more Vipers are driven on a regular basis than R8s.

Speaking of ride quality I find it funny how many other performance/sports/toys are ignored for their ride quality and the Viper is hammered on it every single time.

My STi rode like crap on most roads and you never hear anyone complain about that.

Early Vipers had legendarily bad rides on the street - as in quite literally 'pissing blood' levels of bad. Unfortunately, the rep has stayed with them even though the current car isn't significantly worse than some of the harder-edged Vette models.

Early Vipers had legendarily bad rides on the street - as in quite literally 'pissing blood' levels of bad. Unfortunately, the rep has stayed with them even though the current car isn't significantly worse than some of the harder-edged Vette models.

And that ties in with Dodges refusal/ignorance to do anything about it through marketing.

Viper is less of a status symbol though and more something that a performance enthusiast is likely to buy if they can afford it. I personally wouldn't look at an R8 if I could *just* afford one but would at something like a Viper (well I'd go for the Vette but that's a personal preference here).

Well you gotta factor in the cost of the thing, an STi is what 35k or so? No one is going to expect magnetic ride control out of that.

Viper is less of a status symbol though and more something that a performance enthusiast is likely to buy if they can afford it. I personally wouldn't look at an R8 if I could *just* afford one but would at something like a Viper (well I'd go for the Vette but that's a personal preference here).

Well you gotta factor in the cost of the thing, an STi is what 35k or so? No one is going to expect magnetic ride control out of that.

True the STi is much cheaper but the thing the magazines could never get over was the Viper was never going to be a Vette, until the Gen V it was never going to be as complacent or as comfy that was never the intended purpose of the car.

At least the latest death talk has people talking about the car again.

Viper just doesn't carry the cachet that the other American sports/muscle/pony cars do. It just doesn't have the lineage of say a Corvette and from the get go it cost as much as the Italians with none of the refinement. Great car for what it was but it was never going to be a volume seller.

Screw cache, the Viper is the most badass of badasses on the block. I used to loathe the Viper after driving a 1996 model but when I drove a 2005 model I was SOLD on its awesomeness. And the latest facelifted model is just sex on wheels and I have definitely decided this is my midlife crisis car. And one that the wife can love too as she drools over them too.

Fuck autos, this type of car should never have it market appeal be damned. Focus RS is manual only, as it should be

My wife just cannot drive a manual car on anything but a deserted parking lot or straight empty roadway so any sort of automatic transmission in a Viper would be like heaven for her. If I ever get rich I'll install the 8spd auto from the Hellcat in one just for her. :D

I've recently had a complete change of mind on OHV engines (especially because of their physical size when compared to DOHC engines). However, the 8.4 Liter V10 in the Viper does weigh around 700lbs. What's the weight of lets say a 5.2 V-10 from Audi? I'm trying to find this out now. On the other hand, I'm almost sure that a 5.2 V10 from Audi is still much larger than the Viper's V10.

What picture that still blows my mind is the following (a 6.2 Liter OHV vs. 2.0 Liter I-4):
Miata-I4-engine-vs-LS3-V8-size-comparison-02-1024x567.jpg

Out of curiousity why are you more of a fan of OHV engines?

It is amazing that those LSx motors are so very tiny compared to just about anything else.

You even used to be able to get them with Holden badges in the US.

dsDBR5r.png

But it looks like they discontinued that option for 2016.

Actually I like that idea so it figures GM killed it. *sigh*

Sadly, utes are dead. Both Ford and GM are ending Australian production this year :(

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/bugger-holden-ending-ute-2016-hopes-new-el-camino/
http://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-to-end-austrailan-manufacturing-in-2016/

Shame. Maybe one day down the line (aka in 22 years) I'll import an FPV Boss ute..

rcv3ytP.jpg

I really think Utes would of sold well here. I mean people are buying those Honda Ridgeline shitboxes right so anything's possible. ;)

My wife just cannot drive a manual car on anything but a deserted parking lot or straight empty roadway so any sort of automatic transmission in a Viper would be like heaven for her. If I ever get rich I'll install the 8spd auto from the Hellcat in one just for her. :D

Easier to get a new wife :p I taught mine and now she hates the prospect of her next car having to be auto

Easier to get a new wife :p I taught mine and now she hates the prospect of her next car having to be auto

LOL. Wife > car :D

Besides the 8spd with flappy paddles might sell decently enough to those who buy an automatic Vette.