Does anyone actually *like* the Porsche Cayenne?

Porsche has been ever increasingly profitable since 1994, the Cayenne was introduced in 2002, go figure...

Ever since the Cayenne has come around, Porsche has upped the 911 variants to 13(!), improved the Boxster, came out with a couple Cayennes, introduced the Cayman, and announced the Panamera. When the Panamera comes out, Porsche will have 5 strong models in its lineup, which I don't think has ever happened in the compnay's history. Porsche may have been profitiable for a while, but there's no doubt what the Cayenne's money is doing. In addition, since it was developed with VW off the Touareg, Porsche doesn't even have to fully invest in it. They choose to fully invest in their sports cars.

I too loathe the car, but love what it's doing for the company.

Last edited:
Ever since the Cayenne has come around, Porsche has upped the 911 variants to 13(!), improved the Boxster, came out with a couple Cayennes, introduced the Cayman, and announced the Panamera. When the Panamera comes out, Porsche will have 5 strong models in its lineup, which I don't think has ever happened in the compnay's history. Porsche may have been profitiable for a while, but there's no doubt what the Cayenne's money is doing. In addition, since it was developed with VW off the Touareg, Porsche doesn't even have to fully invest in it. They choose to fully invest in their sports cars.

Yep its been documented and quoted by Porsche CEO Wendelin Wiedeking that he managed to persuade VW to eat most of the development costs of the Cayenne Touareg which meant even more profit per Cayenne produced and sold. I wonder if VW regrets that arrangement :lol: I dont know how well the Touareg sells in Europe but i see far more Cayennes in the USA

Ed

I like the way it looks. Probably the only SUV I would say that has refined style. Doesn't look like a bulldozer and the engineering is superb. I see quite a few of them here on a regular basis in Lexington. Usually middle-aged soccer moms drive them.

I would not own one only because I don't like an SUV as a dailydriver. I learned to drive in one.

Last edited:
I like it. I would even have it for the money if I wanted a luxury SUV. You guys know why - its tough, good on and off-road, probably reliable, albiet passionless and ugly (I actually don't think its too bad) Also it has the biggest panoramic sunroof I've ever seen. Its a premium all-rounder - I can see why rich people bite.

never really liked it, dunno why, just a weird feel

style wise if i wanted a fast SUV i'd take the RR Sport HSE anyday, it just has a much better look even if its not as fast (and going back to my original thread i think the idea of SUVs going at Cayenne Turbo speeds is ludicrous anyway)

Ed

The Cayenne is kinda cool, from an engineering point of view. I'd never buy one, plus the cayenne is and on road behemoth.

I'm not quite sure which SUVs you're referring to with this. Can you please name some that do what an SUV is supposed to do?

I can name quite a few....
Jeep Wrangler/TJ/YJ/CJ
Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
Jeep Wagoneer
Land Rover Defender
Land Rover Range Rover/Range Rover Sport (a little less but still does the trick)
Land Rover Discovery
Toyota Land Cruiser/FJ Cruiser
need I go on?

They should use the acronym "OUV" (Offroad Utility Vehicle) to designate what most people think an SUV is, and leave the SUV acronym to stuff like this car. Maybe people will lay off these softroaders.

People will buy a tall car that can go fast, it's their choice. I don't know why people are all hung up about it.

I like it though I like the Volkswagen Touareg more.

I can name quite a few....
Jeep Wrangler/TJ/YJ/CJ
Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
Jeep Wagoneer
Land Rover Defender
Land Rover Range Rover/Range Rover Sport (a little less but still does the trick)
Land Rover Discovery
Toyota Land Cruiser/FJ Cruiser
need I go on?
I'd consider only the Land Rovers to be able to hit the right spot between offroad abilities and luxury. The others you named are not SUVs in my book, rather than mildly softer versions of real offroad vehicles.

I'd consider only the Land Rovers to be able to hit the right spot between offroad abilities and luxury. The others you named are not SUVs in my book, rather than mildly softer versions of real offroad vehicles.

The Wangler, Cherokee, and FJ perform fairly well offroad.

I like it. I would even have it for the money if I wanted a luxury SUV. You guys know why - its tough, good on and off-road, probably reliable, albiet passionless and ugly (I actually don't think its too bad) Also it has the biggest panoramic sunroof I've ever seen. Its a premium all-rounder - I can see why rich people bite.

And where did you get that little nugget? Sorry, but it's utter crap off road. The suspension is set up for on-road handling and that means minimal wheel travel. It has low profile high-speed tires that will blister, pop their bead or puncture when faced with a real challenge. Hell, the traction control was working overtime just to get it up a simple graded dirt incline. I could have gotten a family sedan over that little mound. If you want luxury off road get a Range Rover.

The Wrangler has gotten a bit more refined, but it's still a Chrysler product and I have had bad experiences with them in the past. The Cherokee (XJ) was discontinued, but has now been replaced by the four-door Wrangler Unlimited. It's ok off road, but to get any real performance out of it you need to get the Rubicon edition with the locking differentials and upgraded skid plates and tires. The FJ Cruiser is a wonderful vehicle, it has some of the electronic assistance that you get on higher end SUVs (traction control, etc) that are not available on the Jeep.

[youtube]61xwtg2Jaxo[/youtube]
Call me when Porsche can do this. Then we will talk.

Last edited:
Yes, that might be, but on the road they are like tractors compared to the Range Rover or the Discovery.

And they are a whole lot cheaper than the Range Rover or the Discovery.

From an engineering point of view, I have a lot of respect for the Cayenne. It's really good on road, and pretty decent off road as well - which is more than you can say for many of the other SUVs. But on every other aspect I hate it. First of all, it's ugly as hell. Easily in the top 3 of ugly SUVs. Second, it's not practical and third, it costs a million billion ??. And if you want an expensive, luxurious SUV - the Range Rover is easily better in every way, except for maybe onroad handling and speed.

And because of that, I just don't see why you would buy a Cayenne instead of a Range Rover. The Cayenne is simply a car for posers who's got more money that IQ - and therefore I just can't help thinking "you sir, are an idiot", every time I see someone in a Cayenne. And it's the same with the BMW X3.

I don't care for the Cayenne's looks at all, and if I was looking for a on-road performance vehicle i'd get a car. The only reason i'd get an SUV today is for it's off-road capabilities, leaving me with very few options for new stuff. Actually I think i'd buy a '70s Chevy Blazer or IH Scout before a new 4X4.