Does anyone still have 56k on here? [Speed Test Thread]

My Internet
Late 90s: 56k
2000-2004: DSL or Cable in any case High Speed (Canada at the time was really good with keeping up with internet speeds)
2004-2007: 56k Again
2007-2009: DSL
2009-Now: Fiber to the Neighborhood giving me the following speeds

Here's mine @ home.

Are you using a direct fiber connection from your PC into the backbone? This is the best I can pull with my ISP...

Haha, it's twin 200MB lines into my dorm, which is shared between 4 schools. Since DePaul gets out far after any of the other 3, they were all gone, and there were only about 300 kids sharing 400MBps of bandwith.

= maxing out the 100mb network speed 24/7

The Internet Speed Test Thread

The Internet Speed Test Thread

Don't know if this counts as a "toy" exactly, but I switched from a local independent DSL ISP to Comcast, and as much as I hate to admit it, there is no comparison on the speeds, especially considering I'm paying $30/m now instead of $35/m

old:

new:

(and school, just for comparison):

Don't know if this counts as a "toy" exactly, but I switched from a local independent DSL ISP to Comcast, and as much as I hate to admit it, there is no comparison on the speeds, especially considering I'm paying $30/m now instead of $35/m

WTF? How so cheap? Introductory rate? I also assume you have cable TV?

I believe Comcast cable Internet is like $52/mo here without cable TV and after the introductory rate, but that's only the 20 or 25mbit package. I think the business class stuff (50mbit) is $100/mo.

With cable, I pay $54 for 12 or 16Mbit. I hate Comcast.

Keep in mind that powerboost inflates your speed test results a lot, so I doubt he gets 58/4 all the time.

He's paying for 16mbit with boost up to 20mbit. He just posted this on IRC though:

915111518.png

Fucker.

WTF? How so cheap? Introductory rate? I also assume you have cable TV?

I believe Comcast cable Internet is like $52/mo here without cable TV and after the introductory rate, but that's only the 20 or 25mbit package. I think the business class stuff (50mbit) is $100/mo.

It's an introductory rate for 16mbit down, 2 up (advertised as 20 down, 4 up with PowerBoost(tm) omgomgomg!!!!!1111one(tm) ) for the first 9 months. After that it's ~$50/m, but I will probably manage to persuade them that I deserve a new deal at that point. I don't have cable TV or any of the other crap they try to sell.

I guess their capping doesn't work very well though, because now that I've hooked my desktop up as the router (with a 64bit Intel PRO/1000MT dual-port PXI-X card handling the traffic), I managed this:

Edit: Viper beat me to it. Sustained speeds (to our server across the country) are more like what are advertised, although I still seem to have plenty of leftover bandwidth for other things even when I'm downloading at ~16mbit.

Last edited:
I hate you.

:whistle:

...and it's basically free...

For some reason my country is against nice things like affordable healthcare and cheap fast internet :cry: