Does anyone still have 56k on here? [Speed Test Thread]

Been on broadband since I moved back to Adelaide in 2001.

I still remember buying my first modem in 1993 - was a 14.4k modem and cost me around $500. Ironic that in early 2001 I was still only connecting at 19.6k! even with a 56k modem!

I moved away from modems (only ever got 28k, which translates to < 3kb/s, because the lines where my parents live are so old and noisy) in 2001, when we got 256kbit iDSL (for $110/m). Cable finally came to that area in 2003, and we jumped on it immediately. Even back then we got about 8-10mbit down (and 2-4 up), as no one used the service.

I'm currently using DSL from a small local provider, so my speeds are pretty low, but I can call and immediately talk to a person, and when I wanted rDNS set up, the had it working in about 5 minutes. I still might break down and get Comcast though, if my crazy satelite-antenna-turned-directional-wifi system fails to let me grab wifi from my local UC campus. I want in on the speeds LurkerPatrol is seeing.

From home:

Hmm, school actually isn't all that great; at least on the wifi:

Last edited:
ohhh so it's a post your internet speed thread now? I'm cool with that :p

stupid limited dl speed, I changed of dorm rooms, and now my speed is limited. I wish I had my old connection back :( I'm supposed to get 5000/1000, but I was getting 40000/10000 easily before :(

I just realised....im the only one with a 0.4 connection speed. And brydiem also..:cry:
I think I got my ADSL in..2005ish.. Maybe earlier. WE NEVER UPGRADE!! :twisted:...........

:cry:
:p

Dial... up...? What is Dial Up?

808271227.png

*whistles*

Yeah, but don't you find uploads a bit slow?

814176998.png

I last used 56k when I lived in England. That was 2004. Fairly recent considering the state of technology.

Adding to the speedtest circle jerk:

I just realised....im the only one with a 0.4 connection speed. And brydiem also..:cry:
I think I got my ADSL in..2005ish.. Maybe earlier. WE NEVER UPGRADE!! :twisted:...........

:cry:
:p

Thing is though, even though I complain hugely about the speeds, I don't find it unbearable, which considering the large amount of downloading I do, is surprising. Yes, it takes me over 14 hours to get a 1 GB file and we have a 12 GB limit, but I am not sitting at the computer screaming for it to go faster. If I could get a mega-awesome super fast connection (relaitive, think 100KB/s or over :lol:) I would jump, but slow internet is better than no internet.

That in mind, I am considering buying a mobile broadband modem thingy and going on pre-paid with that. However, I think the speeds with that wouldn't bemuch of an improvement (given the lag I often get on web pages with my phone over 3G) and it's so damn expensive- about $130 AUD minimum cost for 10 GB!!! So wish there was a way I could get a cheap (and fast) internet plan without a phone line.

Last edited:
Thing is though, even though I complain hugely about the speeds, I don't find it unbearable, which considering the large amount of downloading I do, is surprising. Yes, it takes me over 14 hours to get a 1 GB file and we have a 12 GB limit, but I am not sitting at the computer screaming for it to go faster. If I could get a mega-awesome super fast connection (relaitive, think 100KB/s or over :lol:) I would jump, but slow internet is better than no internet.

That in mind, I am considering buying a mobile broadband modem thingy and going on pre-paid with that. However, I think the speeds with that wouldn't bemuch of an improvement (given the lag I often get on web pages with my phone over 3G) and it's so damn expensive- about $130 AUD minimum cost for 10 GB!!! So wish there was a way I could get a cheap (and fast) internet plan without a phone line.

Same here. I don't find it unbearable either. I can download about 4GB in one day. Luckily I don't have a limit :D Our family is "stick what you got to" type. I mean we had the same car for 17 years even though it gives some trouble. Most of the stuff we buy, we keep until they brake. And only replace if we can't fix it.
So unfortunately Internet works so we are stuck to that <_<

Same here. I don't find it unbearable either. I can download about 4GB in one day. Luckily I don't have a limit :D Our family is "stick what you got to" type. I mean we had the same car for 17 years even though it gives some trouble. Most of the stuff we buy, we keep until they brake. And only replace if we can't fix it.
So unfortunately Internet works so we are stuck to that <_<

My problem is that the main purpose of our internet is for managing my mum's business, and the speeds we have are perfectly acceptable for that. And my dad thinks it would be pretty hard to justify a higher speed and limit as such due to cost. He is of course ignoring the fact that we are with Telstra, and thus could change to another service provider (I like Internode TBH) and get the same speeds and limit for about $10 a month (instead of $60 ish), or so much better (about 10x our current speed with no limit whatsoever) for what we pay now. GAAAAH! But still, better than nothing, must be thankful, don't have to pay a cent myself,yadda yadda yadda.
Mind you, our router is on the blink, so I've been encouraging it (no sabotage, honest!... yet.) to die so dad is enticed to up our plan to get one included.

And it turns out that Optus, Vrgin and Internode all say they can't do 3G broadband in my area, even though my Virgin Mobile phone (well Virgin SIM actually, the phone isn't locked to any network) can get perfect 3G reception (Virgin and Internode both run off the Optus network). Odd, and annoying- I wanted Virgin or Internode. I'm now left with Telstra (apparently awesome speeds and coverage according to their own site, but shit service and high prices. I'm pretty sure they throttle all downloading too) and Vodafone (expensive for what you get). Damn. That and I'd probably be forking out $300 a month as no company in their right mind would offer me a plan on my pay. Sory, but no way.

My problem is that the main purpose of our internet is for managing my mum's business, and the speeds we have are perfectly acceptable for that. And my dad thinks it would be pretty hard to justify a higher speed and limit as such due to cost. He is of course ignoring the fact that we are with Telstra, and thus could change to another service provider (I like Internode TBH) and get the same speeds and limit for about $10 a month (instead of $60 ish), or so much better (about 10x our current speed with no limit whatsoever) for what we pay now. GAAAAH! But still, better than nothing, must be thankful, don't have to pay a cent myself,yadda yadda yadda.
Mind you, our router is on the blink, so I've been encouraging it (no sabotage, honest!... yet.) to die so dad is enticed to up our plan to get one included.

And it turns out that Optus, Vrgin and Internode all say they can't do 3G broadband in my area, even though my Virgin Mobile phone (well Virgin SIM actually, the phone isn't locked to any network) can get perfect 3G reception (Virgin and Internode both run off the Optus network). Odd, and annoying- I wanted Virgin or Internode. I'm now left with Telstra (apparently awesome speeds and coverage according to their own site, but shit service and high prices. I'm pretty sure they throttle all downloading too) and Vodafone (expensive for what you get). Damn. That and I'd probably be forking out $300 a month as no company in their right mind would offer me a plan on my pay. Sory, but no way.

Shitty deal from the 3g ISP's, but why don't you consider taking over the fixet net?
If its 10 (of your currency) /monht why don't you pay for that? (and charge rest of your family a 1or 3[of your currency]/monht to get some money back).

thought 2: get better net fot yourself, and charge some of the costs from your mum (as i think its possible to reduce the companys taxes or something as the inet is leased from someone elses connection).

ps. using my leet welfare money i pay my net 39.90eurs of it :p

Last edited:
Shitty deal from the 3g ISP's, but why don't you consider taking over the fixet net?
If its 10 (of your currency) /monht why don't you pay for that? (and charge rest of your family a 1or 3[of your currency]/monht to get some money back).

thought 2: get better net fot yourself, and charge some of the costs from your mum (as i think its possible to reduce the companys taxes or something as the inet is leased from someone elses connection).

ps. using my leet welfare money i pay my net 39.90eurs of it :p

I have tried this time and time before, but my parents don't want to unfortuntely. I can never really get a reason out as to why, but I think it is so they feel they have some form of control over my access (so they can tell me to bugger off when they want to use it basically, even though I would be more than happy to! :lol:). Have had the same problem with my phone plan- want to pay them about $5 a month so I can get a bit of 3G access included each month (at the moment it's $2 a MB from the get go), but they don't want to. And yes, my parents still pay my mobile bill too as I was under 18 when I got so it had to go under my mum's name and on her account and it costs a heap to change. (mind you, it's never over $20 a month as I don't use my phone much!)

Make no mistake, the Telstra network is by far and away superior to Optus. Pretty much all 3G isp's throttle P2P because it uses a heap of resources.

There is still some 56k'ers hanging around in regional areas that have really poor service

Make no mistake, the Telstra network is by far and away superior to Optus. Pretty much all 3G isp's throttle P2P because it uses a heap of resources.

There is still some 56k'ers hanging around in regional areas that have really poor service

They are all getting satellite broadband subsudued by the government soon, so it should disappear soon enough. My grandparents are still on it, but they are being forced to change over by Telstra at the end of their contract in a couple of months.

And I've actually found Optus better as far as the coverage I need- mostly metropolitan areas with minimal "rural" (i.e. approx 50 kms away from cities) service, The main area I have rblems is at uni, but that's because my iPhone clings to 3G for dear life and doen't like standard GSM. Still get ok call clarity though. Telstra sucked around my house (an area where Optus excels), which is why I would be iffy to go with them for 3G internet (which Optus ironically says is not a 3G covered are yet)

Not an Optus fangirl by any means- they scewed me over on prepaid a few years ago when my sister signed me up for those stupid ringtone subscriber services and they refused to cancel the service (so I had to get a new number). Telstra was ok, but there are much etter deals out there. To be honest, none of the service providers wow me (Virgin managed to overwrite my SIM card with my aunty's SIM details, sending my mobile number into oblivion land and taking a week and a half to fix it, during which I had no phone. Ended up with a new number- again... That and $2 per MB for mobile data is ridiculous.)

/rant.

Thanks, repped!

Sadly, my dsl connection at home is slower than my HSPA connection on my cell phone :(

My best result on HSPA:
3594786.png

My best result on wifi using my DSL connection:
2863194.png

Finally switched from my DSL provider to a Cable internet provider:

826161527.png

Not only faster, but a much better ping...