Does anyone still have 56k on here? [Speed Test Thread]

The city where Dr. Grip originally comes from, look at the numberplate of his Opel.

The thing is - I do live somewhat close to the city center, very, very close the the University. You'd think that both these circumstances make for a good internet connection - reality is that everyone of my friends who lives in the countryside was way better internet than I do. :(

Changed my internet from 30/10-400GB to 60/10-150GB. 2$ cheaper, and I never use above 150GB/month (I will just need to monitor my usage more closely).

Last edited:
Yep. Unlimited is available, but cost 99.95$. For 150GB I pay 57.95$.

My ISP only counts download bandwidth, upload is free, and download between 2 and 8 AM is also free.

Last edited:
I can burn through 150 in an afternoon if I wanted, Jesus Christ.

The good news is overage fees are limited to 50$, so if I go full-retard and completely bust my limit, the most I'll pay is 107.95$, so only 8$ more than if I had pay for unlimited in the first place.

Yes. Through a 60 year old telephone line.

:(

An old telephone line doesn't automaticly mean, that you got bad connection. Sometimes they are even better then newer ones, because back then they used higher cross-section then sometimes nower days. Back then, they mostly used around 0,6mm. During the 90s, when the price for copper was higher, they started to lay 0,4mm or even worse 0,35mm in the earth. That's realy a hard problem.

The problem is, that you are at a different provider but the cable network still belongs to the Telekom. So and if you report a fault there'll only be a guy from the Telekom to look, what's the problem. And since you are not a customer from Telekom they won't be looking as good, as they would for "a real" Telekom customer. But that'S also, because those providers like O2, Vodafone and so on only pay a very low price/rent for the copper line.

Did you even report a fault ever ? Can't realy believe, that this is all, you can get. Also this extrem high Ping ... Kinda strange.

@rickhamilton620: Yes, Germany is riding high on the ADSL/ADSL2 Annex B wave :lol:, but we start to change to Annex J. One major problem is, that the cable network was rising with the years. Back then, there were only services like simple telephone or back in the 90's the upcoming ISDN. Also there was no real technology for Internet over fiber or rather it was way to expensive. So they went on with copper. Now where we got the technology to use the fibre cable, we got all this copper laying around, wich coasted lot's of money back then. So we will still use it ... And I personally believe, that we will carry on like that for a very long time.

Last edited:
Oh yes, I did report it. Did they do anything? No.

Because the cable looks like this al the way

kabel_2_785.jpg

and no one here gives a fuck.
Trust me, I've done everything I could because it isn't worth the money. Still, better than no internet connection in times like these.

Oh yes, I did report it. Did they do anything? No.

Because the cable looks like this al the way

kabel_2_785.jpg

and no one here gives a fuck.
Trust me, I've done everything I could because it isn't worth the money. Still, better than no internet connection in times like these.

What in the name of god did they do :lol:. That's definatly a job for the Telekom. But if no one comes around to foward this to the calbe troops, it won't get any better. If it'S looking like this, there normaly should be more fault reports around. Well, seem's like someone is taking it very smooth :p. But that's the "advantage" of a free telecommunication market/privatization/and a company that is more and more forgetting about it's actual tasks ... absolute administrative chaos. Well that's the price you have to pay, when you want Internet connections for low prices. And the stupid regulatory authority wants be kept happy aswell. God help us ...

Last edited:
I think what they did is laying them in the early fifties and since them never maintaining them. :|
Thing is, I'm surrounded by some elderly people, they don't really care about the internet connection... as long as they can phone their nephews.

But that's the "advantage" of a free telecommunication market/privatization/and a company that is more and more forgetting about it's actual tasks ... absolute administrative chaos. Well that's the price you have to pay, when you want Internet connections for low prices. And the stupid regulatory authority wants be kept happy aswell. God help us ...

THIS!

IT'S GETTING BETTER

:dance:

4540729819.png

$36 a month for this:

4541834777.png

6Mb up is the claim.

20/1 ratio? dafuq?

Who needs upload anyway. I'm not seeding anything to the internetz, and i'm not uploading any content to the youtubes.

Download is where it matters boy.

Well, you're not a content creator, obviously. Upload is equally as important.

There are content creators in Belgium though.

And it has always been like this: high download, low upload. We just don't whine about it.