Does the foot brake of a car stop all 4 wheels

Unconnected

Hey guys, i know the handbrake /ebrake for americans stops the rear wheels.
but does the foot brake, ie the brake you use all the time, only do the front wheels?

No. It does all wheels but most of the braking is done with the front wheels. Could be something like a 70/30% split between front and rear braking. But that 30% or so braking in the rear does help out a lot. I lost brake fluid to the rear wheels and you could tell that the front was doing all the braking.

many cars have a system that when you brake hard, and your rear lifts, all braking power is sent to the front wheels, so sometimes only the front wheels are stopped

And with ABS and ESP these days, there's a computer that manages the braking power of each wheel.

dont forget alot of cheaper cars come with discs up front, drums at the rear....and drums are gash.

dont forget alot of cheaper cars come with discs up front, drums at the rear....and drums are gash.

That's just the easy way to send most of the braking power to the front wheels, put crap brakes on the back.

That's just the easy way to send most of the braking power to the front wheels, put crap brakes on the back.

Actually, drum brakes stop quite hard. Except under repeated use. The real reason they are inferior to disc brakes is poor heat dissipation. They heat soak under heavy use and then don't stop well until they've cooled again.

Correct. The 205 gtis came with either rear drums in the 1.6l versions or rear disks in the 1.9l versions, and most agree that the braking performance in real world terms is near identical. However if you're on a track the difference would become apparent fairly quickly.

My hand brake locks up the rear wheels. Handy for 180? turns.

Actually, drum brakes stop quite hard. Except under repeated use. The real reason they are inferior to disc brakes is poor heat dissipation. They heat soak under heavy use and then don't stop well until they've cooled again.
Precisely, you want to drive with any question mark over breaking performance - well I prefer not to.

Semi off topic here but has anyone driven a car with 4 wheel drums? I drove a friends 66 Mustang that had such a setup but with only the right front actually working! My god that was scary, I'm used to having to push the pedal hard because of non-power brakes but pushing with all my leg strength and having the car stop like its engine braking is terrifying!