does the latest civic come with HID's?

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
was looking at civics today and they are hot! i love the interior....

i wasnt planning on buying anything, infact id get laughed out the show room when they checked my account, however a little peek around cant harm

i think if i had the dosh to buy something like a focus st or GTi, id go for the civic just because the interior is a million miles away from drab like the other two..

my question is though, and because i love them.... do the new civics have HID's as an option?

i cant seem to find if they do, the honda site nor parkers.co.uk list HID's as an option but i have seen 2-3 civics about with them. (unless theyve been 3rd party upgrades which i find unlikely given who was driving)

No, they don't have a real HID, but they do have a raised speedo, just high enough for the cop you just passed to know exactly how fast YOU know you're going. :p

I preffer the Mazda 3...but it's not for everyone...but it's more conventional. The Civic, to me, is too...while unique...reminds me of a desert, and something old people would find pleasing.

Necro, you're confusing HID with HUD.

HID = High Intensity Discharge lights.
HUD = Head Up Display

Oh...you mean it's not...Heads Intheair Display?

:hammer:

You can always tell if a car has HID's if its japanese as they have little flaps in front of the lights on the front bar for the water squirters.

Also I believe You mean the European version.

It depends on which country you live in and which level of kit you opt for.
For example if you live in England you're looking at the following options.

Civinfo Wiki said:
Spec Levels: Note that some options (eg sat nav or HFT) can only be fitted to certain spec levels.

S - Only available on 1.4 manual

ABS, 16" wheels, Electric windows, front side & curtain airbags, VSA, power steering.

SE - available on all 5 door models

As 'S' plus Stereo CD tuner with RDS, Air Con, '07 comes with speed adjusting stereo volume, glove box cooler, aluminium pedals (3),

Sport - only on 1.8 & 2.2

As 'SE' plus 17" wheels, HID (Xenon) lights with washers, Active head restraints, speed adjusting stereo volume, glove box cooler, aluminium pedals (3), originally came with fog lights, then didn't, '07 model now comes with front fogs and leather steering wheel.

ES - only on 1.8 & 2.2

As 'Sport' plus cruise control, leather steering wheel, glass roof, alloy wheels, dual zone air con, fog lights, 4th aluminium pedal (footrest)

EX - only on 1.8 & 2.2

As 'ES' plus rain sensing wipers, sat nav (in Greece SAT/NAV is not included)

A lot more info at the Civinfo wiki here.

And their discussion forum of course.

The Type-R has HID headlights.

The Type-R has HID headlights.

not as standard it seems, ive seen a number of them around sporting standard halogens

to be honest, this technology isnt expensive, it really shouldnt be an option on cars this expensive, they should just be fitted as standard.

In Canada only the top trim has the HID's (which is the Si)

You can always tell if a car has HID's if its japanese as they have little flaps in front of the lights on the front bar for the water squirters.

You must be thinking of German cars... My 350Z and all other Jap cars don't have squirters for the headlamps from what i've seen.

No, Landcruiser, Corolla and our Aurion do. As does Honda's Accord

You must be thinking of German cars... My 350Z and all other Jap cars don't have squirters for the headlamps from what i've seen.

My WRX has those squirters and comes standard with HIDs, but somehow a USDM car I've seen doesn't. I think it's something to do with HIDs not being legal in some states so they didn't bother fitting them as standard, hence the number of people doing TSX retrofits.

No, Landcruiser, Corolla and our Aurion do. As does Honda's Accord
WellsieTRD - thats an Aussie law. And a stupid one at that...

^ I think it's a UK and / or European law as well
Yeh, probably, I wouldn't be surprised.

I just don't see why that requirement exists. I don't see any benefit in having those lamp washers :?

^ I think it's because of the additional, brighter light the lights put out vs regular halogens - it becomes more critical for the alignment to be correct so as not to distract oncoming drivers, hence the need to keep them clean and free of grime that would splay the light in the wrong directions.

^ I think it's because of the additional, brighter light the lights put out vs regular halogens - it becomes more critical for the alignment to be correct so as not to distract oncoming drivers, hence the need to keep them clean and free of grime that would splay the light in the wrong directions.
Yeh maybe.

But unless you have been offroading or driving under adverse conditions such as snow or dust - there is no use for them as they won't get dirty enough under normal driving conditions to warrant a clean.

Its never had to be used on any of our cars...

More importantly - its an expensive feature to make mandatory for something that most people will never use/require. Thats why I disagree with them...

I know its law in this country and I know its stupid. I was saying that its become a trait of most japanese cars equiped with HIDs. And im sure its not just confined to this country

Far as I can remember the requirements in most places for fitting HIDs are a headlamp levelling system (makes sense) and a washer system (iffy). To make things easier on the manufacturer most cars equipped with HIDs will have both, rather than having a couple of cars with one or the other.

Look at the Euro S2000. B/C Honda HAD to fit power wash to the HIDs, they look hideous.

In the US, no such regulation exist, so the HIDs on my S2000 do not power wash, and also do not auto-level (they remove that part for the US market).

The GTI in the US removed the power wash option as an expense cutting mechanism. (Circa 2007, only available on R32)

As for the split dash on the new Civic. Here's my take.

If you've ever used a HUD, especially an American one (even though I've driven a 5-Series with the color one), the weird shape on the windscreen and the nature of the display makes it "weird" to look at. Sometimes it can even hurt my eyes a bit at night, trying to focus on two different points. The Civic with the split dash puts the speedo up so high that it seems like a HUD. However, readability is greatly improved b/c you don't have to focus on the windscreen to see it. Also, no special glass required. I like it, a lot. Even if everyone can see how fast you are going.