Does Top Gear need a woman presenter?

This is about as ridiculous as some twat's argument on IMDb about Top Gear being racist, and that they need to get in more ethnic minorities or whatever!!!

The reason there are less ethnic minorities, or women for that matter, is that they are NOT INTERESTED in going!!!!!! It's just the facts, there are less women interested in cars than men. End of. No working around it.

This idiot on IMDb (Im pretty sure he was a troll, but still though) suggested that the producers "recruited" people literally off the street who happen to be of some sort of ethnicity, which is in fact more bloody racist than his original point!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Now these bra-burning, protesting, melodramatic walllies are coming in, and giving out about inequality on the show????!!! HUH????!!!
They want more women on the show, Im guessing they mean audience as well as guests and presenter (one such move that would kill the show).
What, just pluck them out of the air??!!
Hate to break it to ye ladies, but most of us are pretty satisfied with how everything is going for us now. We can vote, we can be a working mum, we can be an MEP, and we take part in pretty much every sport that men do.

Stop finding stupid pointless crap to give out about, and certainly don't go to the Daily Fail about it.

That just makes you look even more stupid.

So what, now football teams have to have women, transgender (both female to male and male to female), cross dressers (again male and female), hermaphrodites... and ensure ethnic and religious groups are represented? Are they going to also want to make sure sexuality, hair colour, left and right handers (ambidextrous need not apply)....dear lord the list goes on and on.

The cast of TG would be huge!!!

At least the Daily Fail provides something to leap upon the soap box for!!!! (even if it's only for a couple of seconds).

;)
This is about as ridiculous as some twat's argument on IMDb about Top Gear being racist, and that they need to get in more ethnic minorities or whatever!!!

The reason there are less ethnic minorities, or women for that matter, is that they are NOT INTERESTED in going!!!!!! It's just the facts, there are less women interested in cars than men. End of. No working around it.

This idiot on IMDb (Im pretty sure he was a troll, but still though) suggested that the producers "recruited" people literally off the street who happen to be of some sort of ethnicity, which is in fact more bloody racist than his original point!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Now these bra-burning, protesting, melodramatic walllies are coming in, and giving out about inequality on the show????!!! HUH????!!!
They want more women on the show, Im guessing they mean audience as well as guests and presenter (one such move that would kill the show).
What, just pluck them out of the air??!!
Hate to break it to ye ladies, but most of us are pretty satisfied with how everything is going for us now. We can vote, we can be a working mum, we can be an MEP, and we take part in pretty much every sport that men do.

Stop finding stupid pointless crap to give out about, and certainly don't go to the Daily Fail about it.

That just makes you look even more stupid.

I'm guessing from the above that you need chocolate, and evening primrose oil and possibly some valium, stat, or someone in Limerick is gonna get hurt real soon. ;)

Hell no, Top Gear is made by men for men. Women only watch the show to understand how we opperate.

I thought women only watched the show because their blokes told them to.

I think the show is plenty female friendly without having a female host, and the chemistry would be ruined with a female host - they couldn't make themselves look half as silly as the boys and get away with it.

So if I made a show with two of my friends and we all happen to be white and male (which most of them are) because we all wanted to make said show, is that racist that one of us wasn't born something other than white?

And is it our fault that we all have penii rather than vaginas?

'nuff said.

So what, now football teams have to have women, transgender (both female to male and male to female), cross dressers (again male and female), hermaphrodites... and ensure ethnic and religious groups are represented? Are they going to also want to make sure sexuality, hair colour, left and right handers (ambidextrous need not apply)....dear lord the list goes on and on.

The cast of TG would be huge!!!

At least the Daily Fail provides something to leap upon the soap box for!!!! (even if it's only for a couple of seconds).

Good point.

The idea that someone can only enjoy something if they are somehow "represented" in the presenting of it is just stupid and a time waster.

I know as a woman, often times having a woman on a show just ruins it. And it would be a big time FAIL if they added one to TG.

Besides, if they have to start representing all the differences, there will not be room for an audience.

I bet if TG was presented by 3 women, the subject would never have come up that they needed to get a man in it.

I thought a big part of the show's appeal to lots of women was the presenters. Don't tell me Hammond Heaven is a group who love cars!

;)

I'm guessing from the above that you need chocolate, and evening primrose oil and possibly some valium, stat, or someone in Limerick is gonna get hurt real soon. ;)

I've got a Double Decker, I had my rant, and Bitter Sweet Symphony is playing in the background.

I'm fine :)

Fellow Limerick residents can breath a sigh of relief:cool:

Don't need to apologise the bitch ain't on the show now, and that should be enough proof that a woman presenter wont last.

Close the thread now. :p

Both spellings are acceptable, and when you make a joke that bad, you've gotta feel a little bad.

A female presenter could work on a similar show, mind you. Sabine seems fine on D-Motor from the brief glimpses I've seen. Not TG, but that's because the presenters that are on now are all you need.

Last edited:
:roll: There's a quick and simple solution to this... put James May in a dress.

Sorry, I know this will get me in trouble...

Well I wouldn't mind if Sabine replaces Hammo like Jezza recommended :p

As great as Sabine is, she'd be a horrible presenter.
All this nonsense about women this, women that is just ridiculous.
They should use the best people available for any job, no matter if its a female or a male.
Pushing away a male person better at the job just to fill some PC quota is wrong on so many levels.

Same with sports, girls saying you cant compare female football to male football. Why? It's football. And female football is horrible.

That's completely ridiculous. The presenters are perfectly matched for the show- they weren't picked because they were men, they were picked because they love cars, and it would be utterly stupid to pick a female just because she's a female. I have no doubt that a female could have just as much interest in cars as they do- I know a few people like that myself- but why is there a need to prove it? Even the TG boys themselves have done more than their share of saying "yeah, we know this isn't just for blokes, girls like it too".

The Daily Fail should f*** off.

On the other hand, if they wanted a fourth presenter, I wouldn't oppose Sabine... :p

Here's Andy's own view on the matter: http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2009/04/29/here-come-the-girls/
I was going to write about how the new series is getting on, but that?ll have to wait, because Labour deputy leader Harriet Harman, obviously completely happy with the way the economy is going, has decided instead to turn her attention to the massive issue of women and Top Gear.

Under her new proposals we?d have to boost the number of women on the show to reflect the make up of the population. That means mathematically one of our three presenters would have to be a transsexual, so James is firing up the bandsaw and digging out the Kate Moss Top Shop collection as we speak.

And just as we duck to dodge Harriet?s missile, in comes a two-inch mortar from Dr Louise Livesey of Oxford University, who claims Top Gear is shot through with ?entrenched institutional sexism?, and that the show has a ?boys? club? production team.

Interesting that last bit, since this woman has never spoken to us, or been near our office, but never mind: if it?s more women in the office she wants, I?ve already put the call in to Spearmint Rhino.

As for the institutional sexism, and Harman?s other stuff, as I said in the paper this morning, if our show is so female unfriendly, then how come almost half our audience is female?

I also do believe that this sort of claptrap is very patronising to women, because it assumes women can?t enjoy a show?s presenters on merit, but can only appreciate a programme if spoken to by one of their own sex.

As I?m sure our regular viewers know, on account of them normally having more common sense than politicians or academics, Top Gear is a male show, in that it revolves around three males enjoying their love of cars.

That doesn?t make it macho, or exclusatory, it just means one of the show?s editorial pillars involves a journey into the male mind, in the same way that the excellent What Not To Wear veers more towards the female mind.

We don?t even have three male presenters because of the notion that it?s blokes that like cars. That?s actually bollocks ? loads of girls enjoy cars. And I think loads of girls also enjoy our show because a journey into the male mind can often be quite a funny one.

You get trivia, petty bickering, stupidity, arrogance, passion, mischief, the lot.

I?m looking round the office right now, and yes, there are more blokes than girls working here. That?s because we need male minds, thinking like males do, to help make the stories that work for this particular show.

We?re all here on merit, and so can we be left alone to get on?

On the same note, I do support the idea that Top Gear should be more culturally diverse. How about a presenter from Eastern Europe living and studying in Britain? Andy, give me a ring;)

NO! the entire format of the show, or at least most of its charm comes from tree middleaged blokes cocking about and falling over, its al about boys with toys basicly.....a woman, no matter how charming, tomboyyish or kickass of a driver she would be would ever come close to that...

I wouldn't quite say that... but picking a female, or for that matter anyone, would ruin the way they've setup the show.

Man, this PC forced equality crap is getting ridiculous. What's next, men posing on the Playboy channel in the name of equality? Male waiters at Hooters? How about this: If you've got thin skin and feel the compulsion to wrap it around "minority" groups without their asking, KEEP IT TO YOURSELF! Stop meddling in everybody else's lives because you can't help projecting your guilt complex. Get some therapy. DON'T run for office.

My measured and rational response to the question at had is a resounding:

FUCK NO!