Does Top Gear need a woman presenter?

skylock

Car(s)
Honda Civic
I don't think so, but:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1174669/Now-Top-Gear-fall-foul-Harman-sexism-law.html

The BBC and Channel 4 could be forced to use more female and ethnic characters and presenters in TV shows under controversial reforms of equality laws.

Earlier this month a leading academic said the BBC should employ more women to help make shows such as Top Gear 'female-friendly'.

Dr Louise Livesey, tutor in sociology and women's studies at Ruskin College, Oxford, accused the BBC2 motoring programme of 'entrenched, institutional sexism'.

As well as being hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, the Sunday night show has a 'boys' club' production team and fewer female than male guests.

But executive producer Andy Wilman claimed it was 'utter drivel' to suggest that Top Gear excluded women, saying: 'If the show is allegedly female-unfriendly, why is almost half the audience female?

'Secondly, if we are to have a female presenter just to represent the sexes, then by that logic Loose Women needs a bloke in the line-up pretty sharpish.

'I actually believe these sorts of mandates are patronising to women viewers, because they assume that women can't enjoy a show's presenters on merit, but can only appreciate a programme if spoken to by one of their own sex.'

Andy is spot on and as James has said, "You don't drive a car with your genitals".

I am tired of these bitter and twisted, men hating old women, telling me, a red blooded woman who loves men, what I should want in my entertainment.

Fifth Gear has that Vicki woman which is the main reason I can't stand to watch that show.

Maybe Wilman could arrange a couple of shows with a 100% women audience. No wait, that could lead to riot conditions from the men refused entry.

Well I wouldn't mind if Sabine replaces Hammo like Jezza recommended :p

If they want an excuse to cancel the show, then yes, of course.

Well I wouldn't mind if Sabine replaces Hammo like Jezza recommended :p

I like Sabine alright; but I very much would mind someone replacing Hammond.

Yes, kids, another not-a-dude has spoken. SOD OFF, DAILY FAIL!

For Pete's sake, it's just the Daily Wail stirring up the anti-PC sentiments. Please ignore them and let's not even have this discussion. :(

I have decided Top Gear is plenty "female friendly" for this not a dude. And that is an end to it as far as I am concerned.

I SECOND THIS.... NO! :blink:

I TOTALLY AGREE:)

Maybe if one of the new Topgear shows have a woman presenter?

A woman(don't mean to offend anyone) would not work in the UK version of Topgear....It just wouldn't be right

Wasn't Top Gear Dog female? Suppose she was a bitch though.

I recognize that joke was very bad, and apologize.

Some say he is female -
and that he has a pink dress underneath

all we know - she is called the stig(ette)

is that enough?

The BBC and Channel 4 could be forced to use more female and ethnic characters and presenters in TV shows under controversial reforms of equality laws.

Fuck. That. Shit.

THEY'RE NOT REPRESENTING AUSTRALIAN TRIBESMEN! THEY'RE RAYCIST!

Anyway, Top Gear is the blokiest show to ever grace public television. Even the most tomboy-ish tomboy would bring it down waaaay too many notches.

Wasn't Top Gear Dog female? Suppose she was a bitch though.

I recognize that joke was very bad, and apologize.

Don't need to apologise the bitch ain't on the show now, and that should be enough proof that a woman presenter wont last.

Close the thread now. :p

From a thread on another forum discussing this exact article:

To: Zathras
I wonder what this means for their "Tame racing driver" known as "The Stig"?

TOP GEAR (with a woman added to the cast): Some say...that her breast implants are made of carbon fiber and nomex...Others say that she enjoys working the shifter...without using her hands...She's known as the Twig...

TOP GEAR (with a black member of the cast): Some say...that his daily driver is a 1989 cadillac with 24 inch wheels...and that his GPS is custom mounted inside of a crown air freshener...He's known as the... (censored)

3 posted on Wed Apr 29 01:30:57 2009 by Captainpaintball

Deffinately not for the show. Although, I wouldn't mind one day to write for the magazine. Or would that ruin the magic of the mag aswell?

As well as being hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May, the Sunday night show has a 'boys' club' production team and fewer female than male guests.

Well, maybe if more females were interested in going there, and weren't interested in boring stuff like gardening, then there might be more female guests.

But executive producer Andy Wilman claimed it was 'utter drivel'
Nuff said! :)

NO! the entire format of the show, or at least most of its charm comes from tree middleaged blokes cocking about and falling over, its al about boys with toys basicly.....a woman, no matter how charming, tomboyyish or kickass of a driver she would be would ever come close to that...