Dont you non-Brits have any car shows of your own to watch?

In Belgium we have one show called "Fleet.tv"
Only watched it 2-3 times, not very amusing. Sometimes some good cars, but most of the time cheap cars.

I've discoverd Top Gear a few years ago on the english television and it was love at first sight! :lol:

In Bulgaria we have 2 shows - Life On Speed and Motor Show. The first just uses advertisement clips from the producers and the other one is incredibly lame. The host is one blonde(she's hot but that's not important in one motor show, eh?). In Motor Show one bulgarian rally driver actually drives the cars, but he can't really be amusing.
My first TG - i saw the fourth and fifth seasons in one bulgarian server - i downloaded them and fall in love.

No Boss said:
RapedApe said:
You dont like Car and Driver TV? :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :lol:

I know you joking, but I can't help hating someone who says that. :|

Hmm, Jeremy Clarkson and James May, or Larry Webster and Csaba Cserexrecexaseggeggsegg... Decisions, decisions. :p

janstett said:
No Boss said:
RapedApe said:
You dont like Car and Driver TV? :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :lol:

I know you joking, but I can't help hating someone who says that. :|

Hmm, Jeremy Clarkson and James May, or Larry Webster and Csaba Cserexrecexaseggeggsegg... Decisions, decisions. :p

Hahaha.... Seriously. How does someone with a name as unconventionally American as his, have no accent or not look like he's from another country?

Here's Why

Here's Why

Here is atleast some of the reasons why shows from other places just suck. First and foremost is sponsorship money: many of the shows paticularly here in North America get some sponsor dollars from car manufacturers themselves. You can't say that GM's(Pontiac's) new Solstice is shit and then expect GM to hand over the money. Just doesn't happen and even if the show isn't directly sponsored by a manufacturer then the station or network it is on, is. Here is a great example http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7424781/ Second: we are so used to delivering the boring stuff that we don't know how to produce the great stuff. We watch TG and FG because no one here either cares, knows how too or is too afraid to step out on that limb and go for it. Playing it safe is the easy standard for television in North America. I've worked in television and in automotive telelvision briefly and have spent many years in and around the media business. Currently I'm trying to put togehter a show that quiet frankly copies TG and FG and produce it for Canada at first and hopefuly America soon after. I have no problem with admitting what I'm trying to do and I hope if it ever gets off the ground you will support it and understand that I will copy TG and FG simply because I think they are the best and if I can even get anywhere close to their standards I have achieved something beyond my current capabilities. My biggest problem right now is getting anyone to take it more seriously than the intial first meeting or two. The journalists I have approached are skeptical and at times I think frearful of putting their name to something that a) may never come to be and b) somthing that may alter the saftey net that they have built for themselves in their current job. What I mean is that if your a journalist now who has a following and a personality that people are comfortable with now, are you willing to gamble with that and take on new challenges and perhaps show ten times that number of people that perhaps this is who you really are and that may not be who they thought you were. It's easy to sit here and say yes but it is a gamble and a choice that could alter your life drastically for the better or worse. Anyways, thats just some of the stumbling blocks I have encountered so far, I haven't even gone on about public vs. private telelvision or sponsorship deals and so on. I'll try to keep you apprised but time moves slow and I hope I will have your support. THANKS....

franke said:
We actually had a great show in Sweden, called "Motorjournalen".

Yeah, I miss Motorjournalen too.
The other shows are so consumer oriented - I need a show on the cutting edge of cocking about.

The channel that aired Motorjournalen used to air Top Gear during Motorjournalen's off-season, that's where I found TG.
They still air it, but it's always one season behind (and they air it in 4:3 format) which just doesn't cut it... :)

Pipppetto said:
Italy has two weekly car shows on state TV:

TG2 Motori (15 min. every early Sunday afternoon - Monday mid-morning)
Hosted by a blonde 40something journalist, (show) it's far from being spectacular; just a review of car / bike news, maily family cars and scooters.

I was looking for Alfa videos and came across this. I have to admit, she's pretty darn cute.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3341983803268853677&q=alfa+159

Alpha_One said:
Philippine "motoring shows" suck, they're actually press releases and all you see are a buncha guys in suits next to a car in a showroom. Any "non-commercial" parts are usually dedicated to rice... so there.

I'd like to see this for myself. Got a link?

There is a channel in Poland dedicated to motoring (TVN Turbo). My uncle had it on Canal + satellite (then again, he did have 650 channels so it might still be rare). However, the rubbish that was screened on it was unbelievable.

One show featured people talking about their personal cars for 4 minutes each (I think it was called AutoBlog). The problem was that they were simply regular cars; so the show featured a guy talking about how 'sporty' his 1995 Honda Accord was with 130hp, and another talking about how frugal his Renault Twingo was (yawn).

isnt theres some sort to road test program on Motors TV (SKY channel)

Ive watched it a few times, but the name escapes me...

I first came across TG when I was in Europe visiting my relatives a few years back.
I had no clue what I was watching for those 10mins, but something in the show captured my attention (I don't like to watch too much TV).
Then I went surfing on the internet one day recently and I recogized some guy. I did the usual search and surely enough I somehow got interested.

I watch Overhaulin', Rides (well, watched) and Wrecks to Riches on TLC. On Speed Channel, I watch My Classic Car. And on a Canadian channel called Drive-In, I watch a new one called Old Autos Television.

They're all fun shows with different dynamics. Nothing will ever top TG, of course, but there are some other good car shows out there that have nothing to do with pimping or Nascar. ;)

Oh, and as far as how I came across TG, I...can't remember. I only remember the first episode I saw was when Richard had to get out of the car underwater. And as for revelancy, a lot of the show isn't even relevant to people in the UK! (which is why they keep getting so many letters about reviewing more normal cars) The appeal of the show is universal. It's funny, interesting and just one of the most entertaining things on the airwaves overall. I'm SO glad I found it!

Yeah, looks like nothing but tuners and street racing, Fast and the Furious-type stuff. Doesn't interest me. Same with Unique Whips. I can only take so many Hummers with 400'' wheels and dozens of subwoofers and plasma screens. :p

SellSpeed said:
Seen that new show Pinks on Speed?It looks like more rubish to me.

It's terrible.

The host/mediator guy is waaaayyyy too intense while everyone else, on either team, has an IQ of about 43.

Also in Canada we have something called Motoring TV
http://www.motoringtv.com/
It's also shite :lol:

Discovered Top Gear on BBC World (free preview just after I got satellite).

Oh and that Italian girl doing the Alfa 159 review is hot.
I'd totally hit it!