Dont you non-Brits have any car shows of your own to watch?

the US shows are horrendous. Even the edited UK version of Top Gear that aired in the US sucked. And now the Discovery Channel is making a totally US version with different actors and I can only imagine how bad that will be.

TommySVT said:
the US shows are horrendous. Even the edited UK version of Top Gear that aired in the US sucked. And now the Discovery Channel is making a totally US version with different actors and I can only imagine how bad that will be.

i agree with that.

i think the largest appeal of Top Gear IS the people. without the hosts, the show isnt the same. i think the problem is that the US is a Nascar and WWF nation.

American shows are horrible, they barely ever show the person who is talkin actually driving the car, and all they care about are straight line figures. I came across top gear while searching for video clips and came accross the clip of Tiff testing the E39 M5 and I thought it was amazing, and kept searching for more of the same.

I been watching TG since like 95 ,we alwaysget TG Extra here about 2 years after it was aired in the UK,so it was always old cars and stuff but still I loved the show, then I found it on the internet.
And about local car shows - we have none.

bone said:
in the beginning, when viper didn't have any members yet, he used to announce his releases on racingflix.com forums, where i was active

now i'm active here, and not more there :D

I was registered too in racingflix.com... but only because of the top gear videos...

I first saw a Jeremy Clarkson: head to head... I was like: it's cool... but then there was at the end an interview with jeremy... And he talked about a vette scene in the desert were his shooting from a helicopter. I was curious! My first top gear episode was the very first one... Zonda vs Murci!

Car shows in Portugal disapeared... We actually had a portuguese version of the french program "Turbo"... But that was it... And it was rubbish! And the french version also sucks... God bless Top Gear!

http://www.drivingtelevision.com/archive.php

For the Canadians here... we have Driving TV. The guy (Zach) has been getting better over time, but by no means near Top Gear and 5th Gear quality. They are more content/specification orientated than anything else.

The show's web site actually posts each and every episode online (very cool). Take a look at what we have to put up with, and see why I personally think Top Gear and 5th Gear are on a total different level.

There are a view car shows on German television, but none of them is as entertaining as Top Gear. Maybe helpful if you want to buy a new family car.

By coincidence I found a clip of the Aygo-football-match on the internet. I liked it and searched for more. Then I discovered this website. Thanks to you today I own a big Top Gear collection. :)

^^ re Driving Television

The girl on it is HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :shock:

Awful presenter though.. tries too much to talk all presenter-like.

i dont like that show at all.. no heart, and zach is a tosser.

Greek TV shows have all been having RPC's (Reasonably Priced Cars) as their only subject. e.g. "The new micra is quite astonishing to look, and drives very good." BULLSHIT! Tell us that they paid you not to judge it badly :x With the exception of one show that specializes in new car debuts and greek racing (yes we got that here as amazing as it may sound).

Danny Tran said:
^^ re Driving Television

The girl on it is HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 :shock:

Awful presenter though.. tries too much to talk all presenter-like.

i dont like that show at all.. no heart, and zach is a tosser.

Dagmar?

Ya shes pretty cute... that show is from vancouver (we've had it here for ages, both of them were on the morning news before)

Still cannot stand to watch that shit though.

I first saw the Discovery Channel's cut versions of the original show, and loved it. That and the fact that people who like the UK series thinks the American editions were horrible should reveal how bad some of our US car shows are. About the only automotive-related show worth watching over here is Overhaulin', a great show in which someone's beat up baby that the owner never got around to fixing up is turned into a one-of-kind, classy custom.

I first saw a clip of the Ariel Atom on the internet and thought it was cool as hell. Then I saw an ad for the show on Discovery about the show and recognized it and started to watch it weekly. When the series I checked out the net to see when it would return, found out that it probably wouldn't, and that I wasn't seeing the full show more of a best of. Found final gear and started downloading the hell out of it.

The only real car review show we have in the U.S. is Motor Week and it's boring as hell. All the other car shows on TV are restoration type shows and pimp my ride kind of shows. I really couldn't give two craps if a basketball player is dropping fifty grand on a stereo for his H2, really.

- Is there any car show in poland?
- Yes.... not worthed watching.

BlitzR said:
We still have "the car show" which isnt bad but not great, and "the c word'', on a channel which i think is public access but dont think its on anymore because host is now on "the car show"

We also had "Drive" with "The Chip"...not as bad as The Car Show but still very plastic.

We've had a whole bunch of really bad car shows in Australia over the last few years. The only one that's even semi-watchable is Drive, and that's even a struggle to watch without cringing.

The trouble is that in Australia, car shows are usually shown on commercial networks. As such, they tend to turn into infomercials for whichever brands they were pimping (as if I really care whether or not the hot lap is done on Bridgestone tyres and that the hot lap cars run on Shell Optimax!).

By all reports, the only decent car show ever made in Australia was one from the late 1970s-early 1980s called 'Torque'. It was made by the ABC (Aussie equivalent of BBC, no advertisers to answer to etc), and the bloke on there was more than happy to tear really bad cars to shreds.

I imagine the show itself was probably more in the vein of the old TG - I've never seen Torque, but I'd love to get my hands on an episode.

As for how I found TG ... when we had cable a few years back, I watched the old style TG. I found some of the new TG on a BT tracker, fell in love with it and the rest is history. :D

The closest thing we have here in singapore to a motoring show involves a car running someone over and the captions "Don't drink and drive" produced bythe traffic police......

i got my first taste of top gear while looking for drifting videos at video.google.com, an item in the search came with the whole bugatti veyron episode, i thought it was good and looked for more there, they had small clips, i liked it a lot and the rest is history

M

I honestly have no idea where I found out about TopGear from.. I got addicted quick. There was no break-in period.. So I don't remember. Awesome show.

I don't hate certain things based on where they come from. I think the american version of The Office is much better than the british version, however Topgear does blow away everything America has to offer for car shows

Eh, I first saw Top Gear as one of those BBC World crap cuts people all around the world get on satellite. It was a few years back in the episode with the new 5-series i think.

Anyways, I live in China and the car shows are all rubbish. Theres this one which spends an ENTIRE THIRTY MINUTE EPISODE on a SINGLE car. This half-assed chinese man with no idea drives around on the streets describing the car. Its so mundane that it doesn't describe the handling or just glosses past it. The closest they come to driving on a track is a two-land closed road which they drive ovals around.

There's another one where they set up some kind of obstacle course and a bunch of people from the area come and drive around it. Its filled with worse sound effects than Barney and when(if) they complete the course they tell some lame story about their passion for driving. And the cars are all rubbish.

The only thing other thing I get on the tv besides chopped-up versions of TG is that German Auto Motor und Sport show, which is isn't that bad but too clinical for my tastes.