• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Doom 3 HL2 Style

Overheat

Forum Addict
For those who haven't yet seen these shots, these are Half Life 2 textures in the Doom 3 engine.

idiom said:
Basically I wanted to see what HL2 type maps might look in Doom 3. I only got the textures from HL2 and I haven't spent THAT much time on the map (only a few rooms) because it'd be a waste of time doing a whole map that you won't release.

So anyway, this is what I've come up with:

hl2d31.jpg

hl2d32.jpg

hl2d33.jpg

hl2d34.jpg

hl2d35.jpg

hl2d36.jpg

idiom said:
What I have discovered is, unrealistic looking and low resolution textures are due to settings and artistry, not the engine itself. Doom 3 can do all the shader effects that HL2 can, also with better quality results (based on the maximum settings each game is capable of, the HL2 engine might be able to render at higher settings through tweaking, I haven't really looked into this) as HL2's water and cubemaps are inherently pixelated. The main problem for Doom 3 doing HL2 type maps like the one I did is there being multiple lights shining on most surfaces. Despite this, at ultra quality and 4X FSAA, my computer (2Ghz Athlon XP, 9800 pro) ran most of the map at 20-30 fps. That is without optimization using such things as portals but it is also a map without any extra models and is quite small. I also noticed that I was about half the height I should be compared to the textures so the screenshots were taken when in noclip mode. A mod could probably easily change the height of the player camera.

Quite impressive don't you agree?

I doubt it. The engine HL2 uses runs WAY better than the D3 engine, on my computer at least.

Overheat said:
Can't say I've ever noticed soft shadows in everyday life. One light source = one hard shadow imo
:shock: :shock:
Can't say I've ever noticed hard shadows in everyday life.
Because light reflects off of a lot of things:
One light source = show shadow.

Bah, the HL2 lighting is still 1000000000000000000000X better than Doom 3.

d2_prison_070005.jpg

d2_prison_080007.jpg

d3_c17_070017.jpg

omg! is that how hl2 looks like?
I haven't played it yet cuz I have to study :cry: , and I kept myself off playing it cuz I know if I start I won't stop till I finish it

that's very weird because on all benchmarks hl2 scaled way better than D3 did..
Actually a friend of mine ran hl2 @ 1024x768 resolution on integrated graphics chipset!

Doom3 is meant to run better on some nVidia systems but generally HL2 is more universally compatible and has much better FPS

Heh, well, i meet all the system specs very well. Cept, hl2 just doesn't play as well as well as doom3 on my computer. Hl2 gets higher fps, but it stutters quite a bit. Doom 3 is more smoother. The latest patches and beta drivers do make it a bt better, but it's still there.

Overall I agree with you guys, but in my situation its different. Its my system, and a valve's programing, one more than the other ;)

And before ppl ask, I run
2.5 ghz amd xp, 512mb ram and a 6800le at about 6800gt speeds.

it doesn't really matter if you can overclock the LE to GT clock speeds because the card has half the pipelines anyway so it'll never reach the same performance as the GT even if it's clocked even faster...
Now overclock a GT to Ultra speeds and you've got a winner :wink:

if you can get it for free then you're better off otherwise overclocking is about free performance :p

v0od0o said:
it doesn't really matter if you can overclock the LE to GT clock speeds because the card has half the pipelines anyway so it'll never reach the same performance as the GT even if it's clocked even faster...
Now overclock a GT to Ultra speeds and you've got a winner :wink:

Well. i was exaggerating a bit, the core is faster, but the mem is only ddr1, at 885mhz, instead of the 1000 ghz of the gt's ddr3.

And for the pipelines and the vertex shaders, well theres a little trick for that :twisted:

heh.gif

only one vertex shader was broken on my card, so it isn't enabled.

Still, not bad for a 200 euro card, the gt is priced twice as much :?

Also i read somewhere that Doom 3 does have better shadowing, but if HL2 was to make it Uber-1337, you WILL need a top-of-the line computer, and then the mimunal specs would be like...good