Downtime/Server Status

Quiky

Super relevant and trendy avatar
STAFF MEMBER
If you can read this, the forums and site are up. If you can't, then tough.

July 23rd 2009, 6:25 - 7:15PM EST + a bit extra: Downtime due to network outage in datacenter.
From the datacenter:
"The root cause of the problem was a failed 4x10GE blade on one of our core routers. When the traffic failed over to the other core router it has crashed the router thus causing complete network outage.
We have attempted to recover the core setup under existing configuration but once it became apparent that the blade was defective we had to move some uplinks and take the blade offline."

Last edited:
Connectivity is going up and down. Please be patient. If you can't get through, try again in a few minutes (although I guess you can get through if you're reading this...).

No, the site is offline right now for me. I can't even read this post.
Hey, don't mock. That shit was actually happening when you were testing out the LiveTopic thing. :p

The datacenter our servers are in is experiencing a DDoS, which is causing intermittent connection trouble. If you can't load a page (or connect to IRC), try again in a couple minutes.

Edit: Everything is back to normal now. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
The site went down a while back right? Both the Main Site and the Forums?
If thats your idea of a Aprils Fools day joke.......its not funny :p

Our DNS provider went down for several hours, which led to the site being unavailable. We're taking steps to make sure future outages of our provider will not cause downtime.

And there I was thinking the site was down because Quiky was filling it with Rick Astley. :lol:

BGP routing for our ip range disappeared for quite a while.. we had to our uplinks to reannounce our routes.

Simple language: Your dump trucks of packets got lost because the streetsigns fell down.

GG on fix.

Also, in regards to the first post... what's a blade? o_O

G-g-g-g-g-g-lad-d-d-d all is-s-s w-w-ell ag-gain.

N-n-n-n-n-ot that I've b-b-been s-s-suffering w-withrawal or anything.

GG on fix.

Also, in regards to the first post... what's a blade? o_O

[snip]image of blade server[/snip]
?

High-end switches have the same sort of system, removable modules that provide different capabilities, and apparently one of them failed way back when. Luckily, we our current connectivity provider is much higher-end than the one with the failing blade, and almost everything has a redundant backup. As you can see from the recent downtime, even redundant components don't keep you from experiencing occasional outages, but we're in a much better place than we used to be.

We've been working on the configs. It should stop throwing that error now.

I missed you FG. :(

At least it didn't happen during TG time. You'd have an army of overly opinionated TG forum noobs out for your blood (too bad they'll all get devoured by Quiky)

Yesterday was so boring....:( Don't you ever leave FG! I do hope the avatars come back! I realized that I can't identify most people without them :lol:

yesterday FG was down, now my ISP's got some issues and i can't reach like "half the interwebz" or something... damn it!
oh well... i'm glad FG isn't hit! yay to that :)