DPI Tutorial #1 - Handheld panning

Paddy

Car(s)
'06 BMW 320 M Sport
Without much doubt, the drift photographers preferred technique. If your shots have no life, motionless wheels and solid tyre smoke then you need to read on ...

1 - Body Stance

Stand with your feet a shoulders width apart, with your torse facing the direction the car will be passing. Use your left hand at the end of the lense, right hand on the trigger.

2 - Camera settings

The fastest way to get to your pan shot is to shoot in Tv mode (Shutter priority) You'll need to judge the distance between the car and you and also the speed of the car. Also don't forget to set your focus to AI Servo so that the camera is constantly trying to focus on the moving subject. I personally use a centre spot only along with the AI Servo.

3 - Shutter Speed

This is the trickiest but always remember, start high, then progressively slow your shutter speeds down. Start at 1/125 (For cars at approx 40/50mph) and work down to 1/60. If your feeling lucky try dropping that speed down, but do not expect to come away with too many 'keepers'

4 - Shooting

Do not ever press the shutter button. Gently squeeze your shots off from whilst turning from your waist.

5 - Practice

Practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.

- Paddy
Drift Photographers International

Some Samples -

moennight.jpg

50mm, ISO1600, f1.8, 1/60 of a second, Manual

SLAMsun-332.jpg

300mm (Full frame Sensor), ISO400, f/20, 1/125 of a second, Shutter Priority

Last edited:
Thank you! I have been baffled on how to do panning, that really cleared it up for me.

Awesome! Thanks Paddy!

Even if it meant looking like a bit of an idiot, probably the best way to practice is to stand on the side of a main road and just go photo crazy!

sounds easy enough, now time for me to get out there and give it a go

Awesome! Thanks Paddy!

Even if it meant looking like a bit of an idiot, probably the best way to practice is to stand on the side of a main road and just go photo crazy!

done that on St. Kilda road outside NGV for 45mins with a friend, came up with 1 good picture :lol:

Those who are practicing: Post some of your efforts guys :)

Sitting by a roadside is actually a pretty good way to practice, most of the cars are going at a known rate of speed and you can get a good feel for what works with what speed.

Something I use is try to pick a spot on the car and keep it a certain distance from something in your viewfinder, like the edge or if you have a center "crosshair"(dunno if there is a photo term) try and bead that on one spot of the car and your rate of success should increase quite a bit.

also if you have an autowinder or your camera has a sequence mode or whatever that helps your chances as well.

You already wrote this to me, when I asked, but thanks AGAIN! ;) :thumbsup:

Here is some of mine (unedited though...) :
_1010201.jpg

_1010462.JPG

_1010523.JPG

Here is one of my shots, this is from qualifying at Bathurst this year, you'll have to excuse the graininess, it was taken on my IXUS 55 point and shoot Digital Camera

http://img143.imageshack.**/img143/9910/img0423qf4.jpg

Image Stabilizer will do amazing things to keeper rates in this kind of shooting...IS IMHO is the best innovation in photography for ages...

I started doing panning shots this year, here is one I really like:

I just found another one:

Last edited: