Drag Racing Talk

CanadianLoonie

Car(s)
1993 Acura Integra RS sedan
hman77 said:
Richmond, BC, Canada (Vancouver area) What do you know, eh! One more from Canada. Hehe.
^Richmond, the perfect place to build a race track in Greater Vancouver...

You guys don't have a track up there? :shock:

We have a track that's been around since the early 60's, has some cool races and once a year, CART comes and races there. We're workin' on getting NASCAR to help us build a track here now.

http://www.portlandraceway.com/

webcam.jpg

There is a really great track near Vancouver, but it is sort of out in the middle of nowhere. It's about an hour drive away from downtown Vancouver in Mission, which isn't really all that bad at all but a lot of people seem to want one even closer (in Richmond). I'm not sure if the track still holds the record, but because the drag strip at the track is so close to sea level and has a great surface it was once the 'fastest track on the west-coast'.

The track is still really active. They have Friday Night Street Legal Drags on every week where anyone can bring down just about any car and get a few 1\4 mile runs in for $20 (with full printed out results). Every now and then they have track racing. My highlight every year is the vintage track race they put on. Seeing Porsche 356 RS', Shelby Cobras and Jaguar E-Types being driven full out on a track is pretty amazing. There was even a Ford RS200 at the track one year, that was pretty incredible.

Check it out: http://www.missionraceway.com

Wow, nice dragstip. Our's is just a track pretty much (they use the straightaway as a drag stip at times), but we have the Woodburn Dragstip which is HUGELY popular about an hour south of Portland. I don't think it's Topfuel compatible though. They just have tons of cool old cars that drag there with slicks and stuff. :)

And yeah, an hour away sucks. PIR (the one I mentioned) is just a few minutes from downtown. :)

CanadianLoonie said:
Drag racing is absolutely pointless.

Hmmmm. Well, drag racing may not be as good as track racing, but I would never call it pointless.

There are lots of nice track pretty close to me (well within 2.5 hours max of me)

:)

CanadianLoonie said:
The only driver skills need to race in a straight line is holding the car straight and shifting gears.
You are so.... wrong.

CanadianLoonie said:
^Oh yeah, I forgot about having your right foot flat on the accelerator between gear shifts.

Dude, seriously... you're just flaunting your ignorance here.

If you are drag racing a 1994 Dodge Neon, then yeah all you need to do is push down the long skinny peddle and hold the wheel straight. However, if you are drag racing a 300+ horsepower car, doing clean shifts and maintaining traction becomes extremely difficult. There are quite a few crashes and major mechanical failures in drag racing for a reason.

Maybe you should: a.) try out drag racing or b.) watch some drag racing before you make comments like this....

:|

Then enlighten me about the sport of racing in a straight line.

(Does this mean I won't be able to go over to your place and shoot some ducks?)

CanadianLoonie said:

Could you discuss of that debate in another topic please?

:lol: Yeah, splitting topic...

CanadianLoonie said:

As zenon said - it takes skill to not burn out as you take off the line, you gotta time your shifts right, gotta hit the gas just at the right time off the line, etc.

it isnt the most skilled of motorsport racing but some skill is helpful for good timing and very quick reaction time....AND some luck. :wink: