Drag Racing Talk

SiR_dude said:
HAHAHAHA!! I love it....now YOU guys are bickering like two old woman.......that's priceless :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who else has been "bickering" with each other?

hey guys, the bar is open. let me know when i should serve up some tall glasses of... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

justin syder said:
hey guys, the bar is open. let me know when i should serve up some tall glasses of... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:roll:

Don't wait until my NAZI side takes over! :evil:

CanadianLoonie said:
SiR_dude said:
HAHAHAHA!! I love it....now YOU guys are bickering like two old woman.......that's priceless :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who else has been "bickering" with each other?

A while back Justin said that about Renesis and Viper - something about Renesis moving a topic and forgetting to check a certain box, and it created problems. :p

uhm, i'd hate to tell you this Sir dude, but ur revving your engine too much. keep it up and you might destroy it.

dont say i didnt warn u. :wink:

SiR_dude said:
justin syder said:
uhm, i'd hate to tell you this Sir dude, but ur revving your engine too much, it might destroy it.

:lol: :lol: Thanks.

it was edited i guess? because if it was an actual vid of the car revving later saved as a gif, how could he rev it so high? the cutoff would be near 8-8.5k right?

Renesis said:
SiR_dude said:
justin syder said:
uhm, i'd hate to tell you this Sir dude, but ur revving your engine too much, it might destroy it.

:lol: :lol: Thanks.

it was edited i guess? because if it was an actual vid of the car revving later saved as a gif, how could he rev it so high? the cutoff would be near 8-8.5k right?

There is a very small chance that it is an actual vid. Proper internal and head modifications, along with a reprogrammable computer would allow for such high revs. Stock fuel cutoff is either 8200 or 8400, can't remember. But 10-11k rpm's can be done in a highly tuned B16A2 - the SiR's engine. The $$$ it would cost to build the engine up to do that is quite a bit, which leads to the question --- why?? Just go by a Yamaha R1 or Suzuki Hayabusa or a GSX-R or a Honda CBR-RR, etc., and then learn what revs and acceleration are all about.

The Renesis needs a buzzer to remind you to shift cause it's so smooth! redline at 9k and the cutoff seems to be after 9500 RPM now that's an engine! and the sound is so cool and distinctive! :D 8)

zenon said:
Dude, seriously... you're just flaunting your ignorance here.

If you are drag racing a 1994 Dodge Neon, then yeah all you need to do is push down the long skinny peddle and hold the wheel straight. However, if you are drag racing a 300+ horsepower car, doing clean shifts and maintaining traction becomes extremely difficult. There are quite a few crashes and major mechanical failures in drag racing for a reason.

^ I thought I already did....

It takes skills to do a proper launch without burning your tires. Switch off traction control and you have to refrain yourself from flooring the throttle to go quickly.

^I thought that anytime you're doing a standing start that you would not want to have wheelspin...like Formula One.

And rolling starts are gay...

Ok, to give you a bit of an idea about how difficult it can be: there is a guy who runs a late 90s Viper RT/10 at Mission's drag strip. I have seen him run multiple 1/4 mile passes of 14-15 seconds. That car should be running between 12.5 and 13 seconds.

Now I know that may not sound like much of a difference to you, but in drag racing it is huge. The guy is a very poor driver, so because of crappy starts, loss of traction and tire spin the car is running up to 2.5 seconds slower than it normally would.

Furthrmore, when youre running a car that fast, every single little thing you do is magnified a bajillion times. Missing a shift by a millisecond can mean a lot of lost time.

Even if you don't consider launching the car... let's say you have an automatic, it's easier to run constant times and to get good launches but you still need to be on time with the light tree to get a good r/t

CanadianLoonie said:
^I thought that anytime you're doing a standing start that you would not want to have wheelspin...like Formula One.

And rolling starts are gay...

Not necessarily. Do you know how a turbocharger works? Basically, it shoves air into the cylinder more than a normal engine sucks air. More air = more power (very basically). Before a turbo can shove the air, though, it has to 'spool up' - sort of like when you suck through a straw. It takes a sec to clear the air bubbles in teh line, and then all you get is the liquid. A big turbo has to spool up longer than a smaller turbo, in return, a big turbo makes more power. Small engines like a 4-banger take long to spool up a big turbo. THe last thing you want to do is try start a drag race from an idle when you're driving a Honda with a huge turbo. That's why (among other reasons, namely warming the tires for grip) you often see people begin with a controlled burnout. The turbos spool up, the tires heat up, the boost guage swings to 15 psi (ok, that's quite a bit), the light turns green, and you release the brake and tromp on it. It requires precise timing, accurate throttle control, lightning-quick shifts, and a lot of skill to get the most out of a 1/4 mile drag race. Just think, most cars only require 3, at most 4 gears in a 1/4 mile. One misshift and your times are shit. It may not be driving skill (like power slides, heel-toeing, etc.) but it requires a tremendous amount of control skill when you're talking professional drag racing.

That's my take on it :D

Also, rev happy engines with low amounts of low-end torque like the Renesis for example, need some big revs to get it into it's powerband.

Drop clutch at 7500RPM gives lots of wheelspin but the best 0-60mph times for the RX-8